• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags

FWR Media

Fantastic contribution :thumbsup: but I disagree about this aspect of it being perfect. It should be possible for the source code to display the meta tags exactly as they were written,

for example

<meta name="keywords" content="Τακάκια, Ferodo, EBC, ds2500, ds3000, yellowstuff, redstuff">

<meta name="description" content="Τακάκια Ferodo - Τακάκια EBC - Τακάκια">

otherwise you will run into problems with the meta tags going well over the recommended character limits set by search engines leading to penalties. (Or if you set a character limit for the meta tags it will only show the first 16 letters or so, if you set a 100character limit and the average letter uses 6characters for example). I agree search engines will be able to read the tags as they are but they will only read as far as their character limit setting.

Im sure there is a relatively simple solution to this because when I had this issue with my previous hosted shop they sorted it in a couple of hours.

OK I asked the firm that hosts the site and they said

"osCommerce by default is not UTF8.

> That causes it not to write the words in the mySQL correctly. There is not a SET NAMES mySQL command"

not sure what they are talking about but they sorted it out for me. They said the solution they did on my site is not perfect but it will do the job, they are not big fans of OSC :(

Is there a way to be able to have the category description show without having to put products or sub categories in that category? I'm not sure if its clear what I mean?? :blush:

Basically I want to make a manufacturer category just for the purpose of showing information and if people want to order to call us, so basically there wont be any products listed for that manufacturer. As it stands at the moment the category description doesnt show unless there are products tied to that manufacturer.

Is there a way around this? :huh: If there were this would be a super, super, super easy way to create extra pages :D

For now I have opted for KissMT and the install was very simple.

One question though ... my home page title now is:

My Great Product Range - Full Range of Wiggets - Buy from Dream Doll Designs

I can't seem to find where this is to modify it. Does anyone know where to change this?

thanks,

ed

Is there a way to be able to have the category description show without having to put products or sub categories in that category? I'm not sure if its clear what I mean?? :blush:

Basically I want to make a manufacturer category just for the purpose of showing information and if people want to order to call us, so basically there wont be any products listed for that manufacturer. As it stands at the moment the category description doesnt show unless there are products tied to that manufacturer.

Is there a way around this? :huh: If there were this would be a super, super, super easy way to create extra pages :D

OK, you can do it through the manufacturer section no problem!, :thumbsup: I didnt install it correctly :blush: As a side not even though the meta tags are created automatically you can work it so the keywords used are what you want, the keywords are 90% customisable from what I have seen.

For now I have opted for KissMT and the install was very simple.

One question though ... my home page title now is:

My Great Product Range - Full Range of Wiggets - Buy from Dream Doll Designs

I can't seem to find where this is to modify it. Does anyone know where to change this?

thanks,

ed

Its covered in the "documentation" > "getting the most out of the base install"

KissMT was created to produce the best dynamic match of title keywords and description, if you want to change the standard set up you can modify the modules, if you feel things could be done better then it's always interesting to hear.

OK my opinion stands, Great contribution but I still think prepending title to description is unnecessary. Also categories should be more flexible.

Modify /includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/abstracts/kiss_modules.php

Change

$description = rtrim( trim( str_replace( '[-separator-]', ', ', $leading_values . ', ' . $description ) ), ',' );

to:

$description = rtrim( trim( str_replace( '[-separator-]', ', ', $description ) ), ',' );

and

$full_title = ( $leading_values . ( tep_not_null( $description) ? '[-separator-]' . $description : '' ) );

to:

$full_title = ( $leading_values );

Modify /includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/modules/index.php

find:

if ( false === $this->descriptions_extension ) {

replace with:

$poss_description_define = 'KISSMT_' . strtoupper( str_replace(" ", "_", implode(KissMT::init()->retrieve( 'breadcrumb' )))) . '_DESCRIPTION_TEXT';
         if ( defined( $poss_description_define ) ) { 
           $list_string = constant( $poss_description_define );
         } else if ( false === $this->descriptions_extension ) {

find:

$breadcrumb = array_flip( KissMT::init()->retrieve( 'breadcrumb' ) ); 
           $leading_values = implode( '[-separator-]', KissMT::init()->retrieve( 'breadcrumb' ) );

replace with:

$poss_title_define = 'KISSMT_' . strtoupper( str_replace(" ", "_", implode(KissMT::init()->retrieve( 'breadcrumb' )))) . '_TITLE_TEXT';
         if ( defined( $poss_title_define ) ) {
           $leading_values = constant( $poss_title_define );
         } else {
           $breadcrumb = array_flip( KissMT::init()->retrieve( 'breadcrumb' ) ); 
           $leading_values = implode( '[-separator-]', KissMT::init()->retrieve( 'breadcrumb' ) );
         }

Thanks again for the contribution.

hello,

if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. I need to make my website www.customwheels.ro SEO friendly, and I need to put a descripton of the manufacturer below the the products. To understand what I want, please do the folowing: go to the website click on luxury wheels and then on any company, I need to put the text below the models shown. I have already made a product description in the product, I need to have a manufacturer description now.

Thank you.

Edited by Customwheels

hello,

if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. I need to make my website www.customwheels.ro SEO friendly, and I need to put a descripton of the manufacturer below the the products. To understand what I want, please do the folowing: go to the website click on luxury wheels and then on any company, I need to put the text below the models shown. I have already made a product description in the product, I need to have a manufacturer description now.

Thank you.

Your posting to the wrong thread, but try Products Short Description v.2.2 http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/651

Your posting to the wrong thread, but try Products Short Description v.2.2 http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/651

sorry if I posted wrong, but maybe you can help me

To make myself understood, i made 2 print screens i need to put a text from product description

productdescription.jpg

to category description, somewhere in the marked area or down a little,

categorydescription.jpg

Please don't post here about subjects that are not related to KissMT especially not posts with huge images! This is a support topic and you will just make it difficult for others to find relevant support Q&As,

No new version needs to be uploaded this is just for your information.

Changelog:

•  
  • Wrapped the htmlentities and html_entity_decode functions to allow a bypass for ISO-8859-2 which is not supported by either htmlspecialchars or htmlentities.
  • Added Information Pages module.
  • Added full set of modules for Newsdesk.

If anyone needs the changes for ISO-8859-2 or the addon modules for Information Pages or Newsdesk just send me a PM and I'll send a download link.

Hi Robert,

I would like to install a good article/news manager, and take advantage of it being a fly out menu, the better combination to my knowledge in addins is The Dynamenu categories+articles & article Manager (been tested)

The problem starts in that for me to install article manager i need to install also Header Tags SEO which i don't need since site is very good with kissmt which i'm a fan of (congratulations).

My questions:

1. Is there any addon you recommend to create and manage articles that works well with kissmt, and that allows to be used with dinamenu like article manager?

thanks in advance

Hi Robert,

I would like to install a good article/news manager, and take advantage of it being a fly out menu, the better combination to my knowledge in addins is The Dynamenu categories+articles & article Manager (been tested)

The problem starts in that for me to install article manager i need to install also Header Tags SEO which i don't need since site is very good with kissmt which i'm a fan of (congratulations).

My questions:

1. Is there any addon you recommend to create and manage articles that works well with kissmt, and that allows to be used with dinamenu like article manager?

thanks in advance

Article manager doesn't and never did need header tags, jack_mcs hijacked it .. just go back to a version before he got his hands on it. I haven't looked at it for ages but I seem to remember that it tried to produce it's own meta data so you'd probably have to remove that bit of code.

To make myself understood, i made 2 print screens i need to put a text from product description

to category description, somewhere in the marked area or down a little,

You can do it with KissMT, the description will be at the top of the manufacturers page before the list of products, not in the catalog page. Its in the KissMT "extras".

You can do it with KissMT, the description will be at the top of the manufacturers page before the list of products, not in the catalog page. Its in the KissMT "extras".

hello i installed the kissMT, and in the admin for "Enable the extension for categories/manufacturers descriptions. Have you installed the extension?" how do I install the extension, from what i can see in Extras I have "module template" and "stopwords". which is the one for the categories/manufacturers description, in which i can put a text?

hello i installed the kissMT, and in the admin for "Enable the extension for categories/manufacturers descriptions. Have you installed the extension?" how do I install the extension, from what i can see in Extras I have "module template" and "stopwords". which is the one for the categories/manufacturers description, in which i can put a text?

Hi .. it took a long time for me to write those instructions in the hope that they would be read. The start_here.html says ..

What we recommend you do from here (in order of importance)

* 1) Get used to and try out the base install before going any further

* 2) Read - getting_the_most_out_of_the_base_install.html

* 3) Read - optional_extras/about_optional_extras.html

Hi, I have KissMT installed but I want to insert my own titles, meta descriptions and meta keywords for certain product pages.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Anna

The whole point of KissMT is that it is dynamic so that you do not have to enter the data manually, so for dynamic pages you cannot write the meta data manually.

Hi

I posted this originally in the wrong section. - Beginner's error

I have just finished the code changes for Categories and Manufacturers Descriptions Plus H1 page titles that comes with the Optional Extras.

I am now receiving the following Fatal Error message:

Fatal error: Class 'KissMT' not found in /home/emagnum/public_html/store/includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/kiss_meta_tags.php on line 23

http://elevenmagnum....store/index.php

I looked at the kiss_meta_ tags.php file and even reuploaded it but I have no idea what to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance

Sloane

PS This Add-On is fantastic, I am very green and didn't understand the other SEO packages but this one was easy to install and use.

Hi

I posted this originally in the wrong section. - Beginner's error

I have just finished the code changes for Categories and Manufacturers Descriptions Plus H1 page titles that comes with the Optional Extras.

I am now receiving the following Fatal Error message:

Fatal error: Class 'KissMT' not found in /home/emagnum/public_html/store/includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/kiss_meta_tags.php on line 23

http://elevenmagnum....store/index.php

I looked at the kiss_meta_ tags.php file and even reuploaded it but I have no idea what to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance

Sloane

PS This Add-On is fantastic, I am very green and didn't understand the other SEO packages but this one was easy to install and use.

if it can't find the class then either DIR_WS_MODULES is set incorrectly in your configuration .. or more likely the following file is missing ..

store/includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/classes/kiss_meta_tags_class.php

if it can't find the class then either DIR_WS_MODULES is set incorrectly in your configuration .. or more likely the following file is missing ..

store/includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/classes/kiss_meta_tags_class.php

Thanks so much. That file is definitely there so I will check my configuration.

Thanks for such a fast response.

Hi .. it took a long time for me to write those instructions in the hope that they would be read. The start_here.html says ..

to be fair, the instructions are good.

the "optional extras" folder has all the instructions you need.

On the catalog/index.php page the instructions say that you need to replace certain blocks of text that appear 3 times on the page, i found that certain pieces actually appeared 4 times on my code. As long as you save the original you can work out which parts you should change by trial and error.

to be fair, the instructions are good.

the "optional extras" folder has all the instructions you need.

On the catalog/index.php page the instructions say that you need to replace certain blocks of text that appear 3 times on the page, i found that certain pieces actually appeared 4 times on my code. As long as you save the original you can work out which parts you should change by trial and error.

Yes this has become apparent ... the code to search and replace is space perfect so on a fresh RC2a using a decent mutli line search script it only finds the required three but I do recognise that using the "Mark 1 eyeball" there do seem to be four locations. I will look at this in any new release.

Edited by FWR Media

Hi, I have KissMT installed but I want to insert my own titles, meta descriptions and meta keywords for certain product pages.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Anna

From what I understand you can customise the title tags to a certain extent, I believe it shows you how in the documentation.

About keywords for the products, from what I have seen so far, the keywords are generated from the title of the product, which in my experience is the best way to do it.