• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Oversize Shipping

Stealth1

I currently use Canada Post for all of my shipping needs, the rates are better than UPS or Fedex and overall they are fairly good with everything.

My main issues is that the Canada Post Shipping Module is not able to calculate rates based on Size. Is there anyway to have a toggle inside an item description that you can force the module to see the item as oversized. The other option is having to input dimensions but even that isn't available from what I have seen. The most recent Canada Post module that I found with dimensions is over 2 years old now and I don't want to risk screwing up my website.

Can anyone help or shed light on this?

I did this in my store by adding a field 'products_oversized' in the products table, then checking that value during checkout and if it is set for any product in the cart, then it adds a $15.00 oversized item shipping charge.

My solution was to make products having a dimensional weight. Bump large but light items with an extra pound or two and stop displaying the weight to the customer. Most of the time the customer can guess pretty well what his thing weighs.

You can't really make accurate shipping quotes based on volume unless all your products are very aligned in terms of dimensions. Shipping one flat folded drying rack is pretty expensive, but add a second and the shipping gets more reasonable etc.

I am currently using Canada Post shopping too, I believe there is a way to get around it by change your Canada Post account box setup. you can setup your box a little bigger when the product is not READY to SHIP.

ken

• 2 weeks later...

I did this in my store by adding a field 'products_oversized' in the products table, then checking that value during checkout and if it is set for any product in the cart, then it adds a $15.00 oversized item shipping charge.

This would work for the most part except in cases where a customer orders multiple larger items I believe? If they order 2 items that are oversized does your setup add $15 twice or just once? Also the base shipping charge does change aswell based on the size which poses an issue aswell.