• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal Standard and Encrypted Web Payments

jacobsag

I'm adding PayPal Web Payments Standard as an option to my OS Commerce cart. Do I need to enable encrypted web payments? One would assume so. I already have an SSL certificate. Can I simply point the module settings to my existing private key and public certificate?

I'm not using buttons generated from PayPal's site.

What is the point of having encrypted web payments if my email will suffice?

In order to enable encrypted web payments I read that "OpenSSL must be supported by your PHP installation". I have an SSL certificate with GoDaddy; will that work?

Edited by jacobsag

I'm not using buttons generated from PayPal's site.
If that's the case, you don't need to enable it (see post #2 above).

In order to enable encrypted web payments I read that "OpenSSL must be supported by your PHP installation".
Yes, that is correct.

I have an SSL certificate with GoDaddy; will that work?
It's good you have a SSL cert. If properly configured in your server and in the configure.php files, it will encrypt the parts of your store such as login, create account, checkout, etc. Your customer's data is not transmitted in clear text. Once your customers have been transferred to paypal for payment, paypal has their own SSL cert to secure their site for financial transactions.

What is the point of having encrypted web payments if my email will suffice?
->This should help.

Gotcha, I believe I understand now. So if I already have an SSL certificate properly configured there would be no need to enable encrypted web payments, right?

Your site SSL cert has nothing to do with encrypted web payments and vice-versa. You still need SSL as I descibed above and that is to encrypt customer information while on your web site.

Encrypted web payment in conjunction with public/private cert and keys work to prevent other people from tampering paypal payment buttons, assuming you're using them. Obviousdly, you're not.

Enabling encrypted web payment does NOT encrypt customer information.

Use the link I provided above. You'll see that setting up "paypal website payments standard" has nothing to do with public/private certificates and keys. They only come into play when you're using paypal payment butons.

For the purpose of this specific thread,

encrypted web payment and SSL = salads and dolphins <--NO RELATION

Can i add 2 further questions to this please?

I'm using oscommerce v2.2.

1. Are the buttons that came with it already encrypted or do i still need to use Paypal's button factory to create encrypted buttons?

I have set up my private key, added my public cert to paypal. and am using paypal's website payment standard. (installed it via oscommerce's admin module)

but i got an error message at payments page.

(See below error message)

Warning: fopen(/usr/OpenSSL/tempfolder/437033-2-data.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 331

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 332

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 333

Warning: file_get_contents(/usr/OpenSSL/bin/bblsgpublic-cert.pem) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 338

Warning: file_get_contents(/usr/OpenSSL/bin/bblsg-prv-key.pem) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 338

Warning: openssl_pkcs7_sign() [function.openssl-pkcs7-sign]: error getting private key in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 338

Warning: unlink(/usr/OpenSSL/tempfolder/437033-2-data.txt) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 340

Warning: file_get_contents(/usr/OpenSSL/tempfolder/437033-2-signed.txt) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 343

Warning: fopen(/usr/OpenSSL/tempfolder/437033-2-signed.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 347

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 349

Warning: file_get_contents(/usr/OpenSSL/bin/paypal_cert.pem) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 353

Warning: unlink(/usr/OpenSSL/tempfolder/437033-2-signed.txt) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 355

Warning: file_get_contents(/usr/OpenSSL/tempfolder/437033-2-encrypted.txt) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 358

Warning: unlink(/usr/OpenSSL/tempfolder/437033-2-encrypted.txt) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in D:\babylaughssg\catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal_standard.php on line 362

My website eshop is at www.babylaughs.com.sg/catalog

2. What can be wrong?

Thanks,

Sally

Thank you.