• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Scrolling Customer Testimonials

Richard Cranium

George,

Well, glad you told me about the query length. Strange that I did not have that experience and I'm using MySQL 5 also. At any rate, easy fix. Thanks. :)

I looked at the link you sent. Nice site, and yes I really like that split page implementation. Makes for a much cleaner look versus a long page to scroll down. I'd welcome borrowing your code. :)

I see your point re: SEO and text. Very good point and I agree with your logic.

For all of this, I need to find time to work on it. That should be possible sometime later this month. In the meantime, if you don't mind sharing your code then I'll set it aside until I have a few hours to devote to the project.

Thanks for all of your comments. :)

David

George,

Well, glad you told me about the query length. Strange that I did not have that experience and I'm using MySQL 5 also. At any rate, easy fix. Thanks. :)

I looked at the link you sent. Nice site, and yes I really like that split page implementation. Makes for a much cleaner look versus a long page to scroll down. I'd welcome borrowing your code. :)

I see your point re: SEO and text. Very good point and I agree with your logic.

For all of this, I need to find time to work on it. That should be possible sometime later this month. In the meantime, if you don't mind sharing your code then I'll set it aside until I have a few hours to devote to the project.

Thanks for all of your comments. :)

David

Hi David,

Glad you understood my comments and welcomed them. I am happy to send over the code. Sent you a PM with email either reply to that or otherwise I will have to add it in the add-on section. Whichever suits you. Just let me know either way.

Looking forward to test drive the new release. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

George

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this contribution - busy testing though

Need some help.

I am inserting a link into my header.php file with code

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS);?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo BOX_HEADING_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS; ?></a>

How can this link be deactivated when switching off the contib in admin configuration?

I set the testimonials to scroll with a few testimonials added - not scrolling at all even with time set to 10 or 5 in admin

Looking forward for the SEO integration

Many thanks

Getting the Phoenix off the ground

Thanks for this contribution - busy testing though

Need some help.

I am inserting a link into my header.php file with code

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS);?>" class="headerNavigation"><?php echo BOX_HEADING_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS; ?></a>

How can this link be deactivated when switching off the contib in admin configuration?

Just check for the master on/off setting and check your admin settings for viewing by all/registered users only. Like this:

<?php
 if ((TESTIMONIAL_ACTIVE == 'Yes') && (((TESTIMONIAL_REGISTERED_VIEW == "Registered Users Only") && (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id'))) || (TESTIMONIAL_REGISTERED_VIEW == "All Users"))) {
?>
<?php
 }
?>

I set the testimonials to scroll with a few testimonials added - not scrolling at all even with time set to 10 or 5 in admin

You need to have a minimum number of testimonials present before they will scroll. The threshold is controlled in the admin section.

Just check for the master on/off setting and check your admin settings for viewing by all/registered users only. Like this:

<?php
 if ((TESTIMONIAL_ACTIVE == 'Yes') && (((TESTIMONIAL_REGISTERED_VIEW == "Registered Users Only") && (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id'))) || (TESTIMONIAL_REGISTERED_VIEW == "All Users"))) {
?>
<?php
 }
?>

You need to have a minimum number of testimonials present before they will scroll. The threshold is controlled in the admin section.

Thanks a million

Is just working fine now

I just noticed in IE V8.0 I get the following script error

Message: 'document.getElementById(...)' is null or not an object

Line: 474

Char: 6

Code: 0

When I go to that line this is it:

document.getElementById('marquee').className='marquee_show';

and that line is from this:

<!-- Make sure we don't interrupt any other onLoad event -->

<!-- Load event handler by Peter-Paul Koch -->

<script type="text/javascript">

function addLoadEvent(func) {

var oldonload = window.onload;

if (typeof window.onload != 'function') {

window.onload = func;

} else {

window.onload = function() {

if (oldonload) {

oldonload();

}

func();

}

}

}

addLoadEvent(function() {

document.getElementById('marquee').className='marquee_show';

});

</script>

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks

I just noticed in IE V8.0 I get the following script error

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks

Ptt81,

Does the scrolling work for you or does it bomb out and produce this error? Are you viewing the error in a server log or from the browser?

I've heard of some people having problems with IE 8, but I have not been able to reproduce them in the stores I'm using it in. I suspect there may be a prioritization issue with the OnLoad Javascript in some stores, but I am not sure why (I'm not a JS expert).

Based on your notes, it appears that IE is not seeing the DIV creation (named "marquee") in the InfoBox. Try this... presuming you have IE Developer Tools installed (press F12 in IE browser), scan the SCT infobox and see if you can copy and paste the HTML code. There should be a DIV definition with the name "marquee". Sounds like perhaps that is not happening since your error report says that IE can't find any element with that name.

David

This is a browser error report (lower left icon with yellow icon), i click on the icon and copy the exact error. The scrolling still work fine.

There is something else I noticed a little odd, the feedback displayed in scrolling format have two same one repeated after each other, what could cause this? So if I have total of 5 testimonials, but this is what happened with the scrolling, the number is unique random testimonial:

It seems that it does not matter how many testimonials you have, it only display 3 and repeat the process backward so 4 and 5 never display. Of course if you refresh the page, then it may just pick up 4 and 5 but left out the rest so total display is still 3. How can we display all 5 and scroll back to 1 once it is done scrolling from 1-5. Is this a bug?

This is a browser error report (lower left icon with yellow icon), i click on the icon and copy the exact error. The scrolling still work fine.

There is something else I noticed a little odd, the feedback displayed in scrolling format have two same one repeated after each other, what could cause this? So if I have total of 5 testimonials, but this is what happened with the scrolling, the number is unique random testimonial:

It seems that it does not matter how many testimonials you have, it only display 3 and repeat the process backward so 4 and 5 never display. Of course if you refresh the page, then it may just pick up 4 and 5 but left out the rest so total display is still 3. How can we display all 5 and scroll back to 1 once it is done scrolling from 1-5. Is this a bug?

That is normal behavior. I did not have the time to code that feature, but it's on the list for the future. Another issue at the time was whether or not it would bloat the code too much. A store with many testimonials could get bogged down (in terms of the code on the page).

That is normal behavior. I did not have the time to code that feature, but it's on the list for the future. Another issue at the time was whether or not it would bloat the code too much. A store with many testimonials could get bogged down (in terms of the code on the page).

I see, well im looking forward to that feature. As for the script error, i completely removed the script and my scrolling and the rest the site still work without issue, I dont get the error in IE8 anymore.

I see, well im looking forward to that feature. As for the script error, i completely removed the script and my scrolling and the rest the site still work without issue, I dont get the error in IE8 anymore.

I would not worry about the error personally, if you want the scrolling that is. Many Web pages trigger errors of some sort. You might be able to get rid of it if you change the DOCTYPE to something other than Strict (note, I am saying this without any idea of which DOCTYPE your site uses). Regardless, IE browsers are finicky to begin with. I think IE8 is going to complain about the Marquee tag on some sites no matter what. I may explore coding the function in Javascript at some point, but for the moment the Marquee tag is a convenient work-around. To code it in JS would just be another dev effort. It's like everything else these days - trying to find the spare time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

This contribution is great :thumbsup: thx Richard

I have 3 question:

1. How to change rewiews to testimonials in this way - customer write both a product review and feedback on one page product_info.php

2. How to assign image which registered customer upload to his account like avatar.

3. i have width store 1000px and is centered and testimonial consider this width.

P.S sorry for my english

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

This contribution is great :thumbsup: thx Richard

I have 3 question:

1. How to change rewiews to testimonials in this way - customer write both a product review and feedback on one page product_info.php

2. How to assign image which registered customer upload to his account like avatar.

3. i have width store 1000px and is centered and testimonial consider this width.

P.S sorry for my english

Torquemada,

Sorry for my slow response. I just finished up a large project last weekend and I've had very little free time. So, to answer your questions:

1. I think that is a relatively open-ended question. The reviews section of OSC could be redesigned to resemble SCT, yes. However, it would be (I think) quite a bit of work. It is not something that I have time to focus on at the moment.

2. Sorry, but this is the same problem.. not enough time and this sounds like more work than #1! You would have to change the entire way that various portions of OSC operate, such as login and the user's account info. Based on these questions, you might be better off considering using bulletin board / forum software separately from your store (but with a link between them).

3. Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Is your store 1000px wide and you are trying to accomplish something within that context? Can you be more specific?

Best Regards,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the contribution, it's great!

I do have a small problem though. The scroll doesn't work in IE6.

Does anyone have a solution for that?

Thank you

I've only tested in IE 7 and 8.

I suspect perhaps the Marquee tag may not work in IE 6. Have you tried just using the static display?

Edited by Richard Cranium

I've only tested in IE 7 and 8.

I suspect perhaps the Marquee tag may not work in IE 6. Have you tried just using the static display?

Yeah it works using static display so I'm keeping it at that until I figure out whats wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got some IE8 problems after confirming it was the testimonials part giving me hassle

In Firefox my right column is at the correct width, in IE explore my right column however shows up a whole lot wider like a 1/3 of the page

Is there anything we could change to rectify?

Contrib is else working fine

Thanks

I've got some IE8 problems after confirming it was the testimonials part giving me hassle

In Firefox my right column is at the correct width, in IE explore my right column however shows up a whole lot wider like a 1/3 of the page

Is there anything we could change to rectify?

Contrib is else working fine

Thanks

Sorry for my slow response here. :(

The column should be the same width as the remainder of the right column. IE and FireFox seem to alternate on which browser is more or less strict on HTML. There must be something causing IE to ignore the parent width and use a different value. If I recall correctly, the Testimonials code just presumes that 100% width is the width of the column, but I am not certain without diving into the code. If you have the time and expertise, you should look there first. I'll make a note to myself to investigate when I have some spare time over the next week or so. I'm sorry that I cannot give you a more rapid response that is to the point, but I'll look into it.

Best Regards,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

I have installed Scrolling Customer Testimonials and it's working great.

Just one quick question: on the shop testimonials page which is linked to from the customer testimonials info box (customer_testimonials.php), is it possible to have the testimonials ordered by date added, and have the most recently added testimonials at the top. Currently my version is sorted randomly like in the info box each time you refresh the page.

Cheers,

Grant :)

Hi Richard,

I have installed Scrolling Customer Testimonials and it's working great.

Just one quick question: on the shop testimonials page which is linked to from the customer testimonials info box (customer_testimonials.php), is it possible to have the testimonials ordered by date added, and have the most recently added testimonials at the top. Currently my version is sorted randomly like in the info box each time you refresh the page.

Cheers,

Grant :)

Hi Grant.

Well, the short answer is yes, this is possible.

There are several ways this could be accomplished. The easiest would be to sort the testimonials based on their time/date stamp. I have not looked at the code in awhile, so I don't recall if the system currently adds a time/date stamp or not. If not it would be simple to add. The main thing you need to focus on (if you're going to mod the code yourself) is that the display side sorting needs to be changed. There are two main components to this code. The first grabs random testimonials. The second sorts the random testimonials and displays them.

If you can wait a little while, I can add the function you seek. I've got a list now of about 5 or 6 requested additional functions. The problem is that my time to work on OSC is very limited these days, but I shall get to all of them sooner or later.

I'm on vacation this week, so I cannot give you any specific code advice right away (if you want to work on the code changes yourself), but I could next week.

Best Regards,

David

Hi

I just installed the Customer Testimonials v6.0

I thought everything had installed ok, but although the CT box is showing, there are no testimonials there! Just says "write a testimonial". There are 3 testimonials, script is set to work with a minimum of 2. I have it set so that anyone can view it, it is set to "active", and it is set to "scrolling" (although it's the same when it's set to "static"!)

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Chris :)

Simply Scent

Chris,

Have you downloaded and installed "Scrolling Customer Testimonials with reCaptcha v1.11a"?? That is the latest production version.

There is an Admin setting regarding the minimum number of testimonials before scrolling occurs. You can lower that number if you have just a few testimonials and they should start scrolling. Please let me know if changing that fixes the problem. There could be a bug. I know that I tested the system with small numbers of testimonials, but I may not have tested that situation on the last couple of revisions, so perhaps I missed something.

Best Regards,

David

Chris,

Have you downloaded and installed "Scrolling Customer Testimonials with reCaptcha v1.11a"?? That is the latest production version.

There is an Admin setting regarding the minimum number of testimonials before scrolling occurs. You can lower that number if you have just a few testimonials and they should start scrolling. Please let me know if changing that fixes the problem. There could be a bug. I know that I tested the system with small numbers of testimonials, but I may not have tested that situation on the last couple of revisions, so perhaps I missed something.

Best Regards,

David

am using this one (v6.0)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,,

First of all i think this contrib is brilliant, but i do have 2 issues.

1. the size of the image setting does not work.

2. the scrolling does not work either but i get no error messages at all.

if($testimonial_array[$i]['image']){
	$displayimage = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'testimonials/' . $testimonial_array[$i]['image'], $testimonial_array[$i]['title'], C_TESTI_W, '');
}else{
	$displayimage = '';
}

This is the code that does not seen to size the image.

Can anyone please help...

Thank You

Edited by dforce

Ok i have found a solution to my problem on the image size.

If i use the following code instead then it works.

if($testimonial_array[$i]['image']){ 
               $displayimage = tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'testimonials/' . $testimonial_array[$i]['image'], $testimonial_array[$i]['title'], C_TESTI_W, C_TESTI_W); 
       }else{ 
               $displayimage = ''; 
       }

The problem is it now controls the height and width which makes the picture distorted if people dont upload a square picture.

The solution to my problem is to add some code into the upload.php that changes the size of the image when it is uploaded.

This way you can set the width and height and also set constrain so the image is always resized in proportion within your width and height settings.

If you are interested in this then let me know and i will add it to the contribution as an addon.

Still having problems with scrolling though which does not work at all and does not create any errors either. I just get a blank info box.

Help on solving this problem would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Dean