• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Web Hosts - Who Do you recommend?

wumagic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not everyone else's problem if you don't have enough respect to follow the FORUM RULES. Why don't you care about that?

well

1> Rules are made to be broken,

2> I dont feel I am breaking the rules anyway, as I am not "adverising" in the since that most people with any common sense would consider advertising, I am merly recomminged a host that I have had good luck with, and that I know for a fact has everything OSC need to run, some host dont, i.e Globals turned off, or other server/php issues...

3> this a OSC support site, OSC need hosting to run, therefore IMO that is part of the support of OSC

Michael

I guess you just feel the need to argue about it. I'd be embarassed if I was you yet you think it's ok to disrespect everyone else here. :roll:

The site OWNER and the CORE TEAM has stated MANY times that this is not acceptible and that anyone breaking said rules will be banned. Maybe they'll use you as an example so we can go back to what's really important here.

I guess you just feel the need to argue about it. I'd be embarassed if I was you yet you think it's ok to disrespect everyone else here.  :roll:  

The site OWNER and the CORE TEAM has stated MANY times that this is not acceptible and that anyone breaking said rules will be banned. Maybe they'll use you as an example so we can go back to what's really important here.

let them, I will be a outspoken member, make no differance to me, I am far from disrepectful

but I am not silcenced easily either

it is veryy apparent to me that the USERS of this site, the the shear number of request in the last 2 days alone, want advice on where to get good hosting, places like webhostingtalk, are very far from unbiased, and are nothing more than a spam feat for hosts......

I for one would take any advice from there very very lightly...

As an Active OSC user, and supporter, I think it would be good for the OSC members to help each other iw ALL aspects of the program, this includes hosting

again the "not adverstising" rule on most forums dictates that COMPAINES can not come and advertise there products or services, this is a far cry from users "RECOMMENDING" a product or service... large differance....

But if they want to bann me for RECOMMENDING, not advertising a host that I have the upmost confidance in, let them

and it is funny they will not let members RECOMMEND host, yet they can advertise PAIR...... hmmm double standard I say...

Michael

Why don't you email Harald (the OWNER in case you didn't know) and ask him how he feels about it? I know what he'll say yet you don't seem to care.

It's NOT for you to decide.

I am Messaged him...

and your right it is not for me to decided, but it is for me to voice my opion on, and until I hear back from the Owner, I have not Posted a Recommendation in the open forum (pm's are differant story) as I do respect the rules, However, I am and will continue to voice my opinion on a matter I feel is being overly moderated .....

Michael

Actually, I disagree you with you. The Forum Rules simply state:

* The forum is for information exchange only. Commercial advertising is not allowed.

Asking for someone's recommendation of a virtual host is NOT commercial advertising. If I posted my virtual hosting service, their rates and created a commercial-grade ad and posting it to the forums (which I am not) then *that* would be commercial advertising. Merely replying to a honest request for a osCommerce-compatible virtual host provider is not a "commercial" post but the sharing of information, which meets the forum's objectives.

rseigal, you should really *read* the rules before posting. Nowhere does the rules prohibit listing osCommerce compatible virtual hosts. This is what I assumed the rules read when you posted, after having read the Forum Rules I am on XtremeCarAudio's side of the fence. It is simply sharing information and critical information at that since not all virtual hosts are osCommerce compatible. Simply sharing this information is not commercial advertising.

*edit*

Have you noticed that every single thread like this mysteriously gets LOCKED and a moderator says essentially the same thing I am (or have you just not bothered to look???). It IS commercial posting according to the RULES of this forum. Period!!! Why is that so bloody hard for you people to understand? You don't have to like it but that's the way it is whether YOU agree with it or not. :roll: Stamping your feet and saying how unfair it is isn't going to chamge it one little bit. Go talk about hosts somewhere that people enjoy the mindless host recommendations. A host is a host as far as OSC is concerned. Most of them are completely worthless anyway so just keep switching until you find one you like. It's not exactly rocket science.

To make one point clear.

It is not the discussion of hosts that is disallowed, my understanding has been that most of these dicussions turn into host owning members jumping in just to offer their company as the best solution.

Therefore alot of these threads turn into commercial posts.

If you want to offer assistance into what is a good host, PM another member.

It is not hard, all that is asked is that you follow the rules of this forum!

Fair enough be an outspoken member if you wish, but DONT be damn right ignorant! That will not be accepted by any member especially the owners of this site.

Learn the ethics of Open Source and you will see why they wish to stay away from commercial advertising.

Then when you have learned this, RESPECT others thinking into it.

Final point - This is not a web host forum, but many other good sites are, so go use them.

If you find the ones mentioned are not good enough, create your own web host forums, no one here will mind!

CC.

com?mer?cial ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-m?rshl)

adj.

Of or relating to commerce: a commercial loan; a commercial attach?.

Engaged in commerce: a commercial trucker.

Involved in work that is intended for the mass market: a commercial artist.

Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.

Having profit as a chief aim: a commercial book, not a scholarly tome.

Sponsored by an advertiser or supported by advertising: commercial television.

com?mer?cial ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-m?rshl)

adj.

Of or relating to commerce: a commercial loan; a commercial attach?.

Engaged in commerce: a commercial trucker.

Involved in work that is intended for the mass market: a commercial artist.

Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.

Having profit as a chief aim: a commercial book, not a scholarly tome.

Sponsored by an advertiser or supported by advertising: commercial television.

I seem to have missed your point...

CC.

This is not about your definition Warren or the dictionaries definition. Its about the OWNER'S (and CORE TEAMS) definition. If you don't like it post somewhere else.

You obviously just want to argue a point that's already been argued before and no matter how much you stamp your feet you're still going to be wrong.

NUFF BLOODY SAID ALREADY!!!! :roll:

One thing that has to be remembered Ron is whilst we have been here a long time, new members think this is the first time it has been raised.

News Flash For New Members

IT ISNT!!

It has been discussed and discussed yet the rules stay the same.

Get used to it.

CC.

Oh I know that. :wink: All a person has to do is find the locked posts and 99% of the time they're host SPAM fests just like this one.

I just get irritated at newbs that continue to argue after it's been pointed out quite clearly. :roll:

Oh I know that. :wink: All a person has to do is find the locked posts and 99% of the time they're host SPAM fests just like this one.

I just get irritated at newbs that continue to argue after it's been pointed out quite clearly. :roll:

Dont worry mate my post was for the n00bs, not for you.

I know you know this, it just frustrates me when they dont get it!

What is hard about understanding rules fro crying out loud?!!

sheeesh! :roll: Sod this anyway. Time for my bed.

CC.

Your still have not Proven a Point

if a Thread TURNS to a Spam feast then MODERATION is need, as in DELETION or LOCKATION, but to outcast all member that need assistance finding a a OSC compatible host should NOT be sent to another forum where t they may or maynnot know what OSC need in terms of Server compatiably to run, not all host support the OSC requirments, and even less are good...

as far as PM'ing another memeber that will take care of that ONE memeber, what about the 100's of other that maybe Reading it????

I still fail to see the problem with a OSC user request information for a good host that will be able to run OSC, and the logical spot to ask that question is the OSC support site' parden me for being Logical....

and CC I am far from Ignorant, I see the point, but and the solution that has been enacted will never work, as people will ALWAYWS come to OSC to look for compaitble host for the OSC software, this is a logical step, if you guys can not see that your the ones that are ignorant

Michael

Archived