• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Products Specifications

kymation

There are too many options to make a demo practical. I've been thinking about splitting this addon up into smaller mods with related features, which would make this sort of thing simpler. It would also make installation simpler, and avoid bloat, and reduce the load on the osCommerce addons section, and .... I really need to do this.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

So you want:

1. Specifications listed on the Product Info page.

2. Specifications in columns on the Category page.

3. Filter by any specification.

The answer is yes, all of these are possible with Product Specifications. You just need to set up the appropriate pages and specifications. This does take a bit of work to set up; all that power comes at a price.

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim, first of I'd like to congratulate you for product specifications. I have glanced through the pdf file and I am amazed of your work. Very good indeed! Many thanks for this, albeit I haven't installed it yet...

Here's my set:

I have upgraded from rc2a to v2.3.3 and the store is heavily modified and do have template_top and _bottom.

But it doesn't have the jquery ui interface nor includes/modules/bm_boxes, I still have to add the boxes the old way.

Here's what I would love to have:

When adding a new product: Input fields for where the product is located, like so:

Field 1) Annex

Field 2) Etage

Field 3) Alley

Field 4) Rack

Field 5) Box

I know there's an addon "Product Location", but it have only one input field, which is not enough.

And I think that the addon requires a lot of code changes which I can't realise as nescessary.

My thinking is that the above fields could be concatenated into one variable with a suitable delimeter, a colon perhaps and having a separate database table "productlocation" carrying the above concatenated field plus the products id for that location. Then, on the packing slip, split that concatenated field into its components and add it.

So I wonder if product specifications can do the job?

Next, I have looked into the year make model addon (both of them) , the original have an auto installer which simply cant be used, due to all my edits on my site. The 2.3.1 version requires the jquery ui, which I do not have, nor plan to install either.

It seems to me that product specifications will do a very good job on this, but how?

Hopefully you can advise me on these two matters.

Greetings and thanks

Sara

You have what I call a Frankenstore: Pieces of different versions stuck together. This can be a challenge for adding new code. Fortunately, Products Specifications doesn't rely on jQuery or any of the other features of osC 2.3x. You can use the 2.2 version without a problem, or use the latest 2.3 version and just change the buttons etc. You'll probably need to use bits of both versions, depending on exactly what changes you have made to your store. This is a big addon, so it will take some work to add to a heavily modified store of any version. I suggest the use of a good code comparison program -- and a lot of patience.

PS allows you to add as many database fields as you want, and all from the Admin. What it does not do is put those fields on the packing slip, so you'd have to add some custom code to do that. It's not that hard to do.

It will also allow you to set up as many filters as you want. Year, Make, and Model are no problem. Other fields such as engine, 2/4WD, etc. can be done just as easily. Specifications relevant to the individual products can also be added and then displayed on the Product Info page, on the Category page, or in a product comparison table.

Regards

Jim

Hi jim,

Hi everyone,

i have just installed Products Specifications 1.1.11 in oscommerce 2.3.3. But i have the homepage displayed in the product description table instead of the description himself. Nothing works as expected so can someone help me.

i just discovered that this happen only in firefox and not in IE. But even in IE all others tabs datas are displayed in the first tab. Could you help me?

@@reflex77 This is a bug in jQuery 1.9x. The jQuery team refuses to fix this one, but there's a fix posted in the bug report. Add the following code to your includes/template_top.php, just before the </head>:

{php]

<script typs="text/javascript">

// fix jQuery base tag bug

$.fn.__tabs = $.fn.tabs;

$.fn.tabs = function (a, b, c, d, e, f) {

var base = location.href.replace(/#.*$/, '');

$('ul>li>a[href^=#]', this).each(function () {

var href = $(this).attr('href');

$(this).attr('href', base + href);

});

$(this).__tabs(a, b, c, d, e, f);

};

</script>

[/php]

Regards

Jim

I've checked your site, and I see the exact same thing in IE that I see in Firefox. Tested in IE 8 and 10. Sorry, but I can't fix something that I cannot see.

Regards

Jim

@@kymation, i've checked with an other desktop and i saw the same display both in IE and firefox. Thanks for your help.

But unfortunately i am facing a new issue. I can not fill the specification tab during the product editing process. i would like to put the config table there so it will be available only there because all description tab information are duplicated on the product information's main page.

There will be an input element (text box, pulldown menu, etc.) in that box for every specification that you have set up that is valid for that product. If nothing shows up, then you have no valid specifications.

The Description is there twice because you have included it on the page above the tabs as well as in the description tab. You need to remove that.

Regards

Jim

The Description is there twice because you have included it on the page above the tabs as well as in the description tab. You need to remove that.

Regards

Jim

Could you tell in what file this could have been done by me because i don't see it.

There will be an input element (text box, pulldown menu, etc.) in that box for every specification that you have set up that is valid for that product. If nothing shows up, then you have no valid specifications.

Regards

Jim

Sorry but this is like chinese for me. I don't understand what your point is. Thanks to make it more clear for me Jim.

product_info.php

Go read the User's Manual. It explains how to set up Specifications. I know it's long, but that's the only way you'll learn to use this addon.

Regards

Jim

Because it's more than three steps.

Seriously, read the User's Manual. I don't have time to walk you through this.

Regards

Jim

Thanks but there is no process defined in the manual. You just talk about filters without telling us how to seting up a filter in the admin console. this "The key to setting up Filters is to select the correct Filter Class and Display Method" doesn't tell how? So it is a little bit difficult to understand for me.