• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to properly Scale images?

aj23

Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it and have made more sense of it.

I tried one product with a height of 161 but the width was 96, so I don't think I can do anything to that without losing part of the image. I put the link in my sig, but it still doesn't look too good to me. Is it possible to slightly modify the size of the image shown on that page? What do you think of how it is now?

The popup image looks fine, displays at 96 x 161.

Something is resetting the size of the image on the product info page to 75 x 161.

Browse through your admin panel to see if there is an image setting of 75 x 161. If not, it might be hard coded in a file. If that's the case then that issue might need to be addressed before creating many more large images.

As far as thumbnails are concerned, you can use a contribution (which I never have) or resize all the images yourself.

Yes it would make life easier to use a contribution, but as I stated before; the file sizes will remain large slowing the page load time. Most people feel that's an exceptable trade-off for less work. I am stuck with dialup and would rather create smaller file size images for those people still with dialup to help speed up page load times.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much rick for installing the contribution for me!

The problem is, that now the images are smaller than before on the product pages, and I wanted them slightly larger than how they used to be. I asked about changing the size of the image on the product page, but have been given answers that I cannot use, because it is just not possible. I do not have an option on my oscommerce admin to change the image size on the product info page, so someone suggested that it is hard coded into a file. Does anyone know where I should be looking, and what to change to change the size of the image shown on that page? I think I'd want the image on that page set to true size, since some need more width than height (company logos), while other are the opposite (phones).

Thanks

After spending many years in the IT industry you learn that what you think is best is not always best for others, and a easy solution needs to be proposed. hence the reason why i suggest the contribution, its one i use and i know works.

I can only agree. You also did not more and not less than suggesting your own solution of things, like me and the others did. It's up to the one who ask to decide what is better for him. Thats the meaning of the forum, each one says what he/she think is the best solution, it might be or not, there is never just one solution.

Reading the last aj23's post, I don't know if your suggestion really solved the issue. The topic will go on :)

Thank you very much rick for installing the contribution for me!

The problem is, that now the images are smaller than before on the product pages, and I wanted them slightly larger than how they used to be. I asked about changing the size of the image on the product page, but have been given answers that I cannot use, because it is just not possible. I do not have an option on my oscommerce admin to change the image size on the product info page, so someone suggested that it is hard coded into a file. Does anyone know where I should be looking, and what to change to change the size of the image shown on that page? I think I'd want the image on that page set to true size, since some need more width than height (company logos), while other are the opposite (phones).

Thanks

Hmm, would something like outlined in this thread work for me? It's the closest thing I can find, but I am not sure if any of that will work to accomplish what I want....

Thanks,

wow.. someone installed it for him.. Exactly what he needed.. except the next obstacle will be the same thing.. a three page post on something that doesnt need to be three pages.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

wow.. someone installed it for him.. Exactly what he needed.. except the next obstacle will be the same thing.. a three page post on something that doesnt need to be three pages.

The contribution did help, and I think rick for that again. The main thing it did was fix image distortion, but not size the images the way I wanted. it helped mostly with thumbnails, and subcategory images which now look much better than before. But the larger images on the product page, are not appearing at the size I wanted.

Anyways, lets just end this thread now then and I'll try and figure something out.

Thanks,

Actually, I did say I'll end the thread since some people are getting mad that i haven't found a solution with what I've been given, but in the post before yours, I did not post the link I was referring to and I think you assumed I was talking about this thread, then replied with that.

here it is,

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112002

If anyone wants to let me know if that'd work for me, I'd appreciated, but I am not forcing anyone to help me.

Thanks to anyone who does though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My suggestion, and this works very well and is not complicated .... convert your pictures to a square !

That's it !

eg:

if a picture is 100 x 200 pixels

copy this (using GIMP?) to a new/blank picture file 200 x 200

Paste

Save and close

Archived