osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Linked Products

Zappo

This contribution is built on top of:

* osCommerce 2.2rc2a

* "Product Types" Contribution

Product Types is used as base, to seperate the Main and Linked products

This allows us to Link Products (and Types) together, and display/use them in various ways.

The Contribution can be found here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6842

Edited by Zappo

Like Eek said... It never hurts to help!
----------------------------------------

This contribution is built on top of:

* osCommerce 2.2rc2a

* "Product Types" Contribution

Product Types is used as base, to seperate the Main and Linked products

This allows us to Link Products (and Types) together, and display/use them in various ways.

The Contribution can be found here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6842

Hi Zappo:

It seems so interesting.

Do you have any place to see it working?

Kind regards from Spain.

Cesar

Do you have any place to see it working?

Hello Cesar,

No, I don't have an example store setup.

However, there are Screenshots available in the package....

I now see, the package I was talking about is not available yet.

It was quite a big upload, and probably has to go through manual checking...

Edited by Zappo

I am looking to implement a 'B' grade product system whereby I want to link say a "damaged" product ( with new productID ) to the "undamaged" one.

Could I use the liked products to link them so the customer would see the full value item, and then the reduced rate item as a linked product ? This may intice the customer to take the damaged product?

Let me know your thoughts..

I think I will look into this further.

Also, I upload my products as a CSV using th easypopulate method. Would it be possible to add the linked here to save time?

Edited by andygrant2005

I am looking to implement a 'B' grade product system whereby I want to link say a "damaged" product ( with new productID ) to the "undamaged" one.

Could I use the liked products to link them so the customer would see the full value item, and then the reduced rate item as a linked product ? This may intice the customer to take the damaged product?

Also, I upload my products as a CSV using th easypopulate method. Would it be possible to add the linked here to save time?

Yes, I think Linked Products would do that job just fine!

You could show the "damaged" product (with pricing) as linked product of the undamaged one, so the customer can choose between the two.

I never used easy populate, so I have no idea about it's workings...

I'd imagine this should be possible... (only two columns to add to TABLE PRODUCTS: type_id and linked_products)

Edited by Zappo

Hi Zappo,

Certainly sounds like it will do what I need as the Master Products contribution doesn't quite do what I need. I need to be able to show a bathroom suite for sale that is made up of X items and I need each of the X items to be passed through as the items on the order rather than the single master item. These can then be passed automatically to the Sales Orders in Sage Line 50. Would it be possible for your contribution to pass each sub-item for the order as opposed to the master item?

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Mark

Certainly sounds like it will do what I need as the Master Products contribution doesn't quite do what I need. I need to be able to show a bathroom suite for sale that is made up of X items and I need each of the X items to be passed through as the items on the order rather than the single master item. These can then be passed automatically to the Sales Orders in Sage Line 50. Would it be possible for your contribution to pass each sub-item for the order as opposed to the master item?

Hello Mark,

I think everything should work for you.

The Products can be passed as if they where bought separately (each product get's put in the cart as 'normal' product)

However, I don't know what you mean with "the Sales Orders in Sage Line 50"?

Sorry Zappo,

Sage Line 50 is our stock control system so I get it to automatically pull our orders across. With the Master Products contribution this is no good as it will pull the Master Product code (model) across. I need it to pull across the codes (or model) for each of the items that make up the Master Product.

Thank

Mark

ps - very speedy response - thanks!

Sage Line 50 is our stock control system so I get it to automatically pull our orders across. With the Master Products contribution this is no good as it will pull the Master Product code (model) across. I need it to pull across the codes (or model) for each of the items that make up the Master Product.

I still don't entirely understand what you want to be able to pull for every (Linked) Product and how you want to process that data, but Linked Products is far less "Rigid" than Master Products, and it should be possible to have it do exactly what you want.

In the current release of Linked Products, the "Linked Products" are put in the cart as separate products, with or without the "Main (Master) Product".

Currently, there is no way of tracking from what "Main Product" the "Linked Product" was bought.

Is that what you are looking for (a field that shows what the "Main Product" is/was?)

I still don't entirely understand what you want to be able to pull for every (Linked) Product and how you want to process that data, but Linked Products is far less "Rigid" than Master Products, and it should be possible to have it do exactly what you want.

In the current release of Linked Products, the "Linked Products" are put in the cart as separate products, with or without the "Main (Master) Product".

Currently, there is no way of tracking from what "Main Product" the "Linked Product" was bought.

Is that what you are looking for (a field that shows what the "Main Product" is/was?)

Thank you Zappo. The way you have described it is perfect for me. I only need to know the Linked Products.

Thanks again.

Mark

Thank you Zappo. The way you have described it is perfect for me. I only need to know the Linked Products.

Nice.

Good Luck, and if you need any assistance, just let me know!

When I said "Linked Products" Earlier I didn't realise there was a number of different modules you could use.

I have the default x-sell module installed.

To use the easypopulate madule, it can only update the products and products_description tables. Does anyone know where the x-sell puts the linked product items to? Is it in a field in either of these tables ??

Edited by andygrant2005

When I said "Linked Products" Earlier I didn't realise there was a number of different modules you could use.

I have the default x-sell module installed.

To use the easypopulate madule, it can only update the products and products_description tables. Does anyone know where the x-sell puts the linked product items to? Is it in a field in either of these tables ??

I think you don't get it...

No contribution just automatically works like that.

You'll have to write your own code to get something to work with another contribution.

If you DO get it: Yes, Linked Products uses 2 dB fields in the TABLE_PRODUCTS (type_id and linked_products)

Edited by Zappo

I think you don't get it...

No contribution just automatically works like that.

You'll have to write your own code to get something to work with another contribution.

If you DO get it: Yes, Linked Products uses 2 dB fields in the TABLE_PRODUCTS (type_id and linked_products)

I'm new to OS commerce, but not new to coding, so I'm a little sketchy on the OScommerce workings, but I hope I DO get it.

I was thinking the easy populate module allows you to change the code (PHP) to add additional fields to the csv file you upload. The way the easypopulate module is written is that this can be done very simply if the fields are to be added to wither the products or product description tables, if not then there is a lot of code to write to populate another table with the info.

My thoughts were that if the x-sell module added linked products into the products table in an extra field, then I could ammend the easypopulate module with ease. If however, it turns out that the x-sell has its own new set of tables, then it becomes a little more complicated.

To be honest, I'm looking for the easiest / simplest option and all thoughts are welcomed.

Please let me know if I DON'T GET IT, as I really need to understand how OS Commerce is put together.

Please let me know if I DON'T GET IT, as I really need to understand how OS Commerce is put together.

Ah, I'm sorry. Indeed you DO seem to get it.

However the x-sell module has nothing to do with the Linked Products contribution...

I am planning to add such functionality in the future...

A small digression if I may.

Would it be possible to set up links so that if one of 3 links were selected, the other 2 would be unavailable? In other words, options would only be available for the chosen link - e.g. links to US, UK or European where the options for each are different.

Ken

Would it be possible to set up links so that if one of 3 links were selected, the other 2 would be unavailable? In other words, options would only be available for the chosen link - e.g. links to US, UK or European where the options for each are different.

I don't fully understand what you want to do.

- What do you mean with "Links"? Linked products, or links to something, or....?

- Do you want to have different Options per Customer location?

Please elaborate...

I don't fully understand what you want to do.

- What do you mean with "Links"? Linked products, or links to something, or....?

- Do you want to have different Options per Customer location?

Please elaborate...

Sorry, I didn't make it very clear.

e.g. We offer jewellery rings but the sizes are defined differently in UK; USA and Europe. We want to ensure that if an American selects US ring sizes, neither the UK nor European sizes can be accidentally selected as well, otherwise it could cause confusion in Sales. I think that perhaps a drop down list of UK; USA; European is initially visible and, when one is selected, then another list appears with the sizes relevant to that selection.

Hope that makes it clearer?

Ken

I think that perhaps a drop down list of UK; USA; European is initially visible and, when one is selected, then another list appears with the sizes relevant to that selection.

Linked Products does not exactly do what you want.

I'm currently working on a contribution that probably would, but it isn't finished yet (Products as Options)

What you could do with Linked Products:

Have the "Main" product: "Diamond Ring" Linked with 3 products: "UK, US and EU"

Then set the 3 Linked products up with the correct sizes.

When selecting a linked product, you can show a dropdown at the main product with the correct sizes.

However, Currently the products will then both be added to the cart ("Diamond Ring" and "EU + Size")

As Linked Products is VERY configurable, it might be possible accomplish it in another way.

If I think of (or develop) something, I'll let you know.

Come to think of it, you need something like "Linked Options", or "Dependent Options"...

Have one option hide, until an other is known.

I think I have read about that on the forum or in the contribution section somewhere...

Long time ago, but it might be worth a search...

Might also be a nice function to incorporate in another contribution of mine: Option Types v2....

Edited by Zappo

Thanks for your interest. I've spent a lot of time searching contributions with no luck. If you manage to come up with something I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a mailing with someone, who had enormous troubles getting Linked Products to work.

The problems seem to be in eval() functions in the code, and this will need some work.

I can not reproduce the troubles, but it seems the string passed to eval is not correct...

• 2 months later...

Hi

I've run Linked on a fresh install and keep getting this error:

1054 - Unknown column 'type_show_product_as' in 'where clause'

select type_id from product_types where type_show_product_as = 'Option'

Does anybody have any ideas??/ It seems strange nobody else has mentioned it, and on a clean install too?? Bizarre.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Hi

Does anybody have any ideas??/ It seems strange nobody else has mentioned it, and on a clean install too?? Bizarre.

Thanks in advance

Terry

I'm also getting the following on the admin side too:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/theelec/public_html/linktest/catalog/admin/product_types.php(484) : eval()'d code on line 1

Why is this happening on an fresh install??

Can anybody give me some advice??

Thanks

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks in advance

Terry

yea, I'm getting this too, I think type_show_product_as needs to be defined, but I don't know exactly what it's purpose is...something to do with invisible products. This contribution looks really cool, would like to get it working.

Also I'm getting a syntax error in the admin side...

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/categories.php on line 331

line 331
tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " (" . $AddSelectSql . ", products_quantity, products_model, products_image, products_price, products_make_an_offer, products_date_added, products_date_available, products_weight, products_status, products_tax_class_id) values (" . $AddInsertSql . ", '" . tep_db_input($product['products_quantity']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_model']) . "', '" . tep_db_input($product['products_image']) . "' ,tep_db_input($product['products_make_an_offer']) . "', '" . '" . tep_db_input($product['products_price']) . "',  now(), " . (empty($product['products_date_available']) ? "null" : "'" . tep_db_input($product['products_date_available']) . "'") . ", '" . tep_db_input($product['products_weight']) . "', '0', '" . (int)$product['products_tax_class_id'] . "')";

it's a long one..notice I have the 'make an offer' attribute in there, but don't believe that's causing the error. Hope King Zappo returns soon...