• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it the web host or is it Os commerce

Hello All,

New question, we are on a host server. Our regular HTML pages load easily without issue. However, whenever we go into our oscommerce, we either have lengthy wait for load time. Then we get separate errors; "Connection Interrupted", "Network Timed Out", "Server Encountered an unexpected condition".

I do not get these errors on our html pages.

I have used all the tips and tricks available to optimize our oscommerce, my host said they cleaned up the site to optimize etc.

I just don't know if there is a load issue with oscommerce or not. Can you actually exceed load issues with the size of your store? Does oscommerce require a special size server, dedicated etc., when your store grows in size?

So, then if I do find out it is the host's server....then I need a new host. What a nightmare that is. Usually if you go with the number one host in the country, within two years they are crap too.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

Performance depends upon multiple factors, and could be any or all of following

a. Image Size: Even though the display is small, the images are heavy (ie. the file size for each image is large) and thus a lot of time is required for them to load / and overall failure or delay.

b. MySQL performance: depends a lot on how much resources are available from your webhosting provider. OSC has PHP (for logic execution) and MySQL (for storing all preferences, products, descriptions and what not) ... If MySQL is slow on your host, PHP would wait for the result set before it pushes out data to browser.

c. PHP Environment: Similar to above, if PHP processing is slow on the host.

d. Other Factors: Google Ads / Other ads if any or images / data / rss feed from other sites.

See if you can enable logging (Admin -> Configuration -> Logging) and see if logs reflect anything about unusal behaviour!

Cheers

Best Regards,
Gaurav

before you change anything, figure out what is slowing things down.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/

today, there are so many processes that MIGHT be slowing things down. before you begin a quixotic journey to gain speed, realize that debottlenecking is what you need to do.

if there are 30 things that happen when your page loads, instead of speeding some of the steps, figure out which step is the slowest, then attack that one thing. then rinse, lather, repeat. the speed gains you'll find by debottlenecking will blow your mind.

:-)

Alright, we have learned through a couple of different outlets, one of then yslow, that indeed the problems are with the server.

Our server seems to be having issues with the demands made on it by mysql database. We are probably on a crappy server or one that is at capacity for the database software.

So, bottom line we need to get out of this host. I cannot run my own virtual server, I know just enough to run the store and create html pages.

Can anyone make some suggestions for web hosting that can handle oscommerce, a robust plan for mysql and php support?

DISCLAIMER: "I understand that these will be just suggestions and just because it works for you doesn't mean everyone is happy."

I have done some researching on my own and boy every host that seems decent has a list of terrible reviews when searched on a third party non-bias review site.

sigh! I need something fast because we are losing customers by the truckloads!

Thanks,

Kelly

More detailed question, since everyone mentions image size I figured I would post our exact numbers.

Each image in our store ranges from 180 - 333 kb and measures up to 400 x 500 pixels. Now, if an catalog category page can hold 20 images per page, then consider you have one in the review, one in features, and one in specials all scaled down but up to 332 kb per image that would be about 7659 kb image load. Which would be about 7 megs (roughly) per page.

But, we are on cable and can download up to 976 kb per second the page should take about 10 seconds (again roughly) to load.

I cannot see that shows heavy image load. Can anyone else tell me if it is a totally different story when it is MySql database?

Also, I got an answer from my server today which did nothing more than confuse me still;

Their database server allows 75,000 queries per hour and a maximum of 10 concurrent hits per hour (they said concurrent means logged in).

Being that the case....shouldn't my store WORK?? I still do not understand why we are getting reset errors from the server or some of my customers on cable are waiting 20 minutes for a page to load??

I really could use some input.

At this point, most other web servers are throwing out the same number to me so moving doesn't necessarily look like it will help. Is there also a possibility that my store is corrupted somehow?

Thanks again,

Kelly

The size of the page to be loaded will cause it to load slowly but not fail to load, unless you are reaching the limits of your server. But you host can tell you that. For the images, those are too large. Installing the On the Fly auto thumbnail contribution should reduce those to a tenth of the size. That, more than anything else, will improve your load times. Also install the latest Who's Online contribution and look at that when your site fails to load. If you have 100 customers, then you can probably expect it to fail. If you have one customer, then there is a problem with the site and/or server.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

When the images are scaled they are 175 - 219 pixels. Do you mean even as a stand alone image mine are too large?

Yes, we actually were able to view who's online and I had "20 customers" and we were getting rejected by the server.

This is the info I am trying to get from my host but they all speak jibberish and do not answer directly. They all say I am as optimized as they can make me, but six months ago I was not getting these kinds of errors and my images were all the same size then as they are now.

OH, I JUST GOT THIS ERROR AGAIN AND THERE ARE 47 customers in our store of which actually 7 unique and 5 are webcrawlers:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: User [our name] already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /hermes/bosweb/web204/b2043/[our name]/public_html/store/catalog/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

The size of the image in pixels doesn't affect the page load. It is the size of the file that needs to be reduced. That contribution will not only reduce the size but will, usually, give a better looking image.

The max user is a setting on the server and you are reaching it. When that happens, connection for your site is terminated and restarted, thus the failure. It usually recovers in a few minutes. But if your still overloading the server, it will just do it again. That many customers may not seem like much but if they are all doing something that is making a lot of calls to the database at the same time, it is enough to cause the failure. You can't compare your site now to six months ago since, presumedly, your site has improved. Having five search engines on at one time indicates that. And keep in mind that search engines use server resources just like real people. So based on all of this, my guess is that you have simply outgrown the server you are on. You may need to more to a host with more powerful servers, or plans.

If you haven't perfomed the site optimizations mentioned in the thread here for that, you should do so. That can decrease the connections a site makes significantly. It may not be enough in your case to make a difference but it is worth a try.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived