• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Development] Products Specifications

kymation

The titles in bold are because the HTML in that box is messed up. I'm working on a fix, but going slow as usual. I'll post when I have a fix.

I would suggest a separate Specification Group for Year, Make, and Model. Those can be applied to as many categories as possible. Leave the category-dependant stuff in other groups that can have smaller ranges.

No, the filters are all independent. Making them cascade like that would be a lot of work.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Thanks Jim. i will do that--keep a separate Spec grp for Automobiles. i think i set it up wrong before so i will start from scratch.

i am attaching screenshot of filter box on the site--not sure i explained it well before.

i was just hoping on the filters cascading. you have done a fantastic job on this add on.

I just got this error on the website, and i have also received it when adding filters on the admin site, altho that was line 1412:

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /home/chicago/public_html/catalog/products_filter.php on line 177

any ideas?

thanks!

-t

post-324523-0-29823500-1380926463_thumb.jpg

I understand the problem with the Filters box; I just don't have a fix for it yet. Other bugs are getting in my way.

It looks like I missed one of the old regexes in that file. Replace Line 177 in catalog/products_filter.php with this:

if ( (!isset($_GET['sort'])) || (!preg_match('/^[1-8][ad]$/i', $_GET['sort'])) || (substr($_GET['sort'], 0, 1) > sizeof($column_list)) ) {

I'm not seeing the error on the Admin side, so I need more info. Please post the complete error message and the file it's appearing in.

Regards

Jim

okay, thanks. i will keep checking.

Here is the error on the Admin side--it happens when editing specification:

Deprecated
: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in
/home/chicago/public_html/catalog/admin/products_specifications.php
on line

thanks again for your help.

-t

Hi Everyone / kymation - i came across this thread and the contributions sounds like exactly what I am looking for to extend one of my sites. I am starting the installation but was wondering if anyone has some example links to filtering examples?

I have around 40K products across about 12 main categories and 600 brands. The main specifications would be Color, Width, Length, Size, Brand, Type, Price and Type. Each product has a unique value for each one of these meaning an item does not have more then one color (usually) and the Brand / Width / Length are specific to each product. As an example there are probably 15 colors, 20 lengths, 20 widths and 60 brands per main category.

So staring at a main category which could have around 6K items a few specific clicks could get the user down to the 12 or so products they would want to see.

Looking forward to seeing it in action. If I get something up and running before any replies I'll post back some screen shots.

Thanks in advance for the demo links.

Hi Jim--

Been working on this all week; what i have discovered (i'm a little slow!) is that the filter box only shows up when a Category is selected (i only have 1--Wheels). that is, it does not show up on the main Catalog page. i have looked thru the files and cannot find an answer to this...can you point me in the right direction? this is possibly how the add on works but was wondering--i really need the filter to show up on the main catalog page, and all pages.

thanks!

-t

The filter box shows up when there are filters to show. If you have filters linked to only one category, the box will only show up on that one category. If you link a t least one Specification Group with filters linked to all categories then it will show up on all.

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

thank you! So obvious and yet i didn't see it. thank you!

Is there any way to use a bulk add add on, like Easy Populate? Guess that won't work with specifications or filters. so perhaps it will add the products but not the specs or filters. I am looking at the Install manual now.

I am also looking at templates but so far, they have not worked with PS (although still looking at one of them to see if i can use it and get the tabs to still work). Am going to try your Modular Front Page and Theme Switcher, probably Document Manager--thank you so much for your contributions.

-t

Easy Populate would need to be modified to recognize the Specifications tables. I've never had the time to work on that.

For the jQuery files, use View Source in Firefox and click on each of the links in the Head section. If one of them returns a 404 page, track down the file it's looking for.

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

I have shared my easypopylate code in the past here

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/344692-contribution-products-specifications/page__st__520#entry1643438

I use it sometimes to do bulk addition for existing products. The difficult part is to know what goes where, but if you fill out one (dummy) product online and then export, you can create all the necessary sample data to work with.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Hi--

Does anyone have suggestion for a template that works with PS? I've tried a few but they change parts of PS that I like.

On one, it dropped the tabs in Products info page, which i really like,

thanks!

-t

thanks, i have been checking out all of the ones on the OSCommerce site. Thought someone might have some experience with one that works with PS seamlessly. i have tried a few of the free ones and, as i mentioned, they don't do one thing or another quite right--like the tabs on the Products page.

will keep looking, and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-t

@@tmdb @@burt

The changes introduced by PS are quite modular and not difficult to integrate into an existing template.

Thus I would recommend to find a recent 2.3.x template you like and ask a pro to get it integrated for you if you feel it is too difficult.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Find this code in index.php near the bottom:

<?php
  include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS);
  include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS);
?>

and move it below this code:

<?php
   }
// End Products Specifications
?>

Regards

Jim

Edit: Forum ate the PHP code again.

Edited by kymation

• 3 weeks later...

This is a fantastic module Kymation :D, this looks like the perfect module for my idea, if I just can figure out how to implement the data.

I have read your manual and the support threads without seeing a solution.

I would like to make a size guide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13402 based on the European standard for labeling clothes sizes.

One product in category “Jackets” and subcategory “men” has the Products Attributes Style, Color and Size.

I would like to make a special filter based on the body dimensions, chest, height, waist and link this dimension to one Option Values in Products Attributes.

e.g. Products Attributes with Option Values Size=sml should be displayed if the body size range is: chest 82–86 , height 154–166 , waist 70–74.

Will this be possible?

Best regards

Torgrim

Edited by torgrima

Products Specifications was never designed to handle attributes/options. It would be possible to do, but I never wrote the code.

You could still do this, but you would have to use a separate set of specifications that duplicate the size(s) of a product, then use Reverse Range filters to select from those.

Regards

Jim

Products Specifications was never designed to handle attributes/options. It would be possible to do, but I never wrote the code.

You could still do this, but you would have to use a separate set of specifications that duplicate the size(s) of a product, then use Reverse Range filters to select from those.

Regards

Jim

Thanks for quick reply, I will try :-)

Torgrim

• 2 months later...