• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ULTIMATE Seo Urls 5 - by FWR Media

LMFAO! :laugh:

Holy cow. I just spilled my coffee out of my mouth when I read through here. Especially the last post is epic.

Hey @burt if they want to install that damn add-on to make their URLs look nice let them. 

You other guys should really do better research before coming here and say this and that. Just look at the big stores and you "should" understand what burt meant. 

Let's take Amazon for example, go to one of their products and look at the URL. Does it look nice or friendly? No, not at all. But copy and paste that product name and search for it in google.

What you will see is amazon somewhere in the top search result. Take a close look at it. You'll see no long URL as it had in the product page at amazon.

Edited by Tsimi

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I just quote from google

URLs like the one shown in the image above can be confusing and unfriendly. Users would have a hard time creating a link to it.

Some users might link to your page using the URL of that page as the anchor text. If your URL contains relevant words, this provides users with more information about the page than an ID or oddly named parameter would.

Google is good at crawling all types of URL structures, even if they're quite complex...

All what google says is they recommend or say it is good practice to make the URLs read-friendly so that customers/users can read or use the URL as link or navigation guide.
It doesn't say one word that it will improve your SEO because of that. Google just says you should keep it organized. Another quote

URLs with words that are relevant to your site's content and structure are friendlier for visitors navigating your site.

Again, no mention of SEO benefit. Visitor friendly does not equal better SEO or SEO results.

Lastly, everyone can do what they want with their shop site it is their website and they should know what their customers might want. Look at Amazon, eBay or some other big shop they all have different URLs, some long, some short, some easier to read, some are super long and complicated. Important is that the "real" SEO stuff in your shop is working as it should then you'll end up getting good search results.
So what @burt said isn't wrong at all. User friendly URLs have nothing to do with SEO.

Edited by Tsimi

I think at one time it probably gave an advantage. No one's every gonna know if that component was completely removed within the ranking algo, or was it just because there are just so many other important factors that are being considered now. I found it kinda hard to make comparison with mega sites that had reached a critical mass for its organic traffic. Also, keep in mind that there are other search engines, and Google isn't even allowed in China. My $0.02.

The add-on title is missleading. Maybe in the past there was a time where URLs did matter for Google or other search engines. Now it doesn't seem to matter anymore. But then again who knows when google will change that again. And as mentioned there are many other search engines out there and there other factors might have more weight.

People come here and tell crap about something they don't 100% understand and tell everyone that what they say is right and everything else is wrong. Burt knows osC code better than any of us. Sure he might not be always right but he is at least open to be proven wrong. They were not. 

I just proved using their own evidence that things are not what they thought.

Burt included the SEO stuff into the EDGE version and I am sure he did his homework prior to that to ensure that what he installs is correct. If URLs would have mattered I am sure he would have installed something for it into EDGE.

Edited by Tsimi

One problem is this addon isn't really maintained and in the future, I think it will be problematic.  However, for now, I've been using it for a long time so I'll stick with it.  If I were setting up a new shop, I would not employ this addon.

Edited by John W

I'm not really a dog.

It's a matter of having options and for some of those long time OSC users being able to keep indexed URL the same moving forward would be highly desirable. I would work on it because I use it, but I found it hard to try hitting a moving target. Wow, three yrs had passed since I touched this repo...I think I stopped as I was waiting for the db module to finalize.

https://github.com/clustersolutions/Ultimate_Seo_Urls_5_PRO_BS

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it's been asked before, but reading through 175 pages is just a bit too time consuming.

I found this issue when using product options.

when I got an url like product_info.php?products_id=13{1}11 it will not be rewriten to the products friendly name/url nor will it preselect the chosen options in the products options list.

Anyone have a suggestion why at least the friendly name wasn't used?

BTW:
If you remove the options part, it will rewrite the url to the friendly name, but ofcourse will noet pre selct the options value

• 2 months later...

i just tried to make my product_info.php urls customizable, as i dont like that the url is gonna change once you change the product name just a little

Modifications are made to work with the rewrite functionality (where you need to have rewrite rules in htaccess).
page module index.php still needs to be modified to have the customized category urls there as well.
categories.php in admin would need a modification if you want to edit the seo url database fields from there.

based on v208 https://apps.oscommerce.com/Hj4y0&ultimate-seo-urls-5-for-responsive-oscom

looks good so far for product_info.php, but

a) i could need some help with page module index.php to show the categories with the customized urls also.

b) will that break any of the usu5 modules functionality?

add fields to database
=======================================
in table categories_description
add field categories_seo_url (varchar 255)
	in table products_description
add field products_seo_url (varchar 255)

modify page modules
	in /includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/page_modules/product_info.php
	find this:
	    protected $dependencies = array( 'products_id' => array( 'marker'     => '-p-',
                                                             'query'      => "SELECT pd.products_name, m.manufacturers_name, cd.categories_name, p.products_model, p2c.categories_id FROM products_description pd INNER JOIN products_to_categories p2c ON p2c.products_id = pd.products_id INNER JOIN products p ON pd.products_id = p.products_id LEFT JOIN manufacturers m ON m.manufacturers_id = p.manufacturers_id INNER JOIN categories_description cd ON p2c.categories_id = cd.categories_id AND cd.language_id=':languages_id' WHERE pd.products_id=':pid' AND pd.language_id=':languages_id' LIMIT 1",
                                                             'to_replace' => array( ':languages_id', ':pid' ) ) );

and replace with this:
	    protected $dependencies = array( 'products_id' => array( 'marker'     => '-p-',
                                                             'query'      => "SELECT pd.products_seo_url, pd.products_name, m.manufacturers_name, cd.categories_seo_url, cd.categories_name, p.products_model, p2c.categories_id FROM products_description pd INNER JOIN products_to_categories p2c ON p2c.products_id = pd.products_id INNER JOIN products p ON pd.products_id = p.products_id LEFT JOIN manufacturers m ON m.manufacturers_id = p.manufacturers_id INNER JOIN categories_description cd ON p2c.categories_id = cd.categories_id AND cd.language_id=':languages_id' WHERE pd.products_id=':pid' AND pd.language_id=':languages_id' LIMIT 1",
                                                             'to_replace' => array( ':languages_id', ':pid' ) ) );
	right after:
      // manufacturers_name is gained through a left join and may not exist
      array_key_exists( 'manufacturers_name', $details ) ? $text_types['b'] = $details['manufacturers_name'] : null;
	add:
      //if we have a products_seo_url, we use that string instead of products_name
      if (!empty($details['products_seo_url'])) {
         $text_types['p'] = $details['products_seo_url'];
      }
      //if we have a categories_seo_url, we use that string instead of categories_name
      if (!empty($details['categories_seo_url'])) {
         $text_types['c'] = $details['categories_seo_url'];
      }

Removing .html from the rewrite URLs
	in /includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/uri_modules/path_rewrite.php
and
in /includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/uri_modules/rewrite.php
	replace:
      if ( false === strpos( Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'request_uri' ), '.html' ) ) { // path_rewrite seo url must have .html
        return false;
      }
	with:
  /*
      if ( false === strpos( Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'request_uri' ), '.html' ) ) { // path_rewrite seo url must have .html
      return false;
      }
  */

find:
      return usu5_multi_language( $separator = 'right' ) . $text . $seperator . $value . '.html';
	and replace it with:
      return usu5_multi_language( $separator = 'right' ) . $text . $seperator . $value;
	in /.htaccess
	replace:
  RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9/-]+)-p-([0-9]+).html$ product_info.php [NC,L,QSA]
  RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9/-]+)-c-([0-9_]+).html$ index.php [NC,L,QSA]
  RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9/-]+)-m-([0-9]+).html$ index.php [NC,L,QSA]
	with:
  RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9/-]+)-p-([0-9]+)$ product_info.php [NC,L,QSA]
  RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9/-]+)-c-([0-9_]+)$ index.php [NC,L,QSA]
  RewriteRule ^([a-z0-9/-]+)-m-([0-9]+)$ index.php [NC,L,QSA]

On 15/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, Stephan Gebbers said:

b) will that break any of the usu5 modules functionality?

It could be a good idea to create new URI modules instead of modifying the stock ones. Will give a try if I get some time after updating the addon (i've managed to get the sitemap manufacturer and hreflang pages working completely).

On 21/2/2018 at 1:35 AM, Tsimi said:

Burt included the SEO stuff into the EDGE version and I am sure he did his homework prior to that to ensure that what he installs is correct. If URLs would have mattered I am sure he would have installed something for it into EDGE.

One thing matters of this addon: if you run a multilingual site you will get URLS like:

• mysite/index.php/en
  • mysite/index.php/de
  • mysite/index.php/jp

and so on, instead of the same mysite/index.php URL for every page/language combination. And you can add hreflang tags so your site will be indexed in the correct local sites - no more duplicate content like in stock oscommerce.

If you don't use it or another addon like this one - what language will a search engine index from your site? So yes, it's necesary - or at least very recommended - for companies who sell internationally.

I see the benefit of keep the product name based url constant, but I am not sure the benefit of removing .html. I think it said path rewrite must have .html. So, no!?

With Product Listing Ad, CPC company often modify the production title to get higher impression/click thru rate base on seasonal behavior...

On 6/15/2018 at 2:55 AM, Stephan Gebbers said:

Removing .html from the rewrite URLs
	in /includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/uri_modules/path_rewrite.php
and
in /includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/uri_modules/rewrite.php
	replace:
        return false;
      }
	with:
  /*
      return false;
      }
  */

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2015 at 3:42 AM, raiwa said:

I found a fix for this error:

In all product page modules (product_info.php, product_reviews.php and product_reviews_info.php)

Find:

$result = Usu_Main::i()->query( $this->query );
      $text_array = tep_db_fetch_array( $result );

Add below:

if ($text_array == null) {
      	return false;
      }

I know this is an old post, but the error is still happening and this fixed it.

Tks a lot!!

Patty

installed ultimate seo urls for BS ,  i thought it was working as expected but checking the cache function it seems this is not working on each of the 4 cache options ( mysql, file, sqlite, memcache). Setting it on sqlite or memcache gives internal server error these might not be supported.

No data is stored. The folder permissions for file/ sqlite are 755 ( checked 777 too with same results).

i made a debug test:

Standard URI produced: 24
SEO URI produced: 114
Query Count: 112
Queries Saved: 2
Cache load time: 0.0001 seconds ( includes gzinflate/base64_decode/unserialize )
Data loaded from cache: false ( Cache System: File_Cache_Module )
Total query time: 0.0042 seconds
Cache system is On
---------------------------------------

Anyone has an idea? Thanks in advance.

On 25/8/2017 at 11:53 PM, PiLLaO said:

I tried to change in /catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/main/validator.php

private function pageNotFound() {
      include_once Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'includes_path' ) . 'uri_redirects_class.php';
      if ( false !== ( $url = Uri_Redirects::i()->needsRedirect() ) ) {
        $this->redirect( $url );
      }
      session_write_close();
      header( "HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found" );
//      include_once Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'includes_path' ) . 'notfound_404.php';
      include_once Usu_Main::i()->getVar( 'real_path' ) . '404.php';
      exit;
    }

The url for the 404 page to my custom 404 page in catalog/404.php without solution.

Anybody have fix this?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi again,

I'm still trying to use my 404 custom page with USU5.

The problem is that all requires inside my custom page (application_top.php, template_top.php, template_bottom.php and application_bottom.php) give me error because are already declared, and if I comment this requires or use require_once the page don't load.

Anyone have any idea how can make it works?.

Best regards

24 minutes ago, Hotclutch said:

No need to change anything there. The 404 page works and is located at includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/includes/notfound_404.php

This 404 page don't have a look like the website, that's why I want to use a custom page instead this notfound_404.php

15 minutes ago, PiLLaO said:

This 404 page don't have a look like the website, that's why I want to use a custom page instead this notfound_404.php

Hola Gustavo,

just customize that page to fit your store design.

3 minutes ago, raiwa said:

Hola Gustavo,

just customize that page to fit your store design.

Hola Rainer,

I tried to make it, but I can't show header, footer and categories box...

55 minutes ago, PiLLaO said:

Take a look at the Custom Server Error Pages addon. If you use it, you should remove the 403 and 509 codes.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons