The e-commerce.

ULTIMATE Seo Urls 5 - by FWR Media

Hi again Robert,

working at 99%.

I have an issue with one module.

/includes/modules/sitemap_category.php

I use it as SILO on column_left.php

Entering in index.php > product_listing.php

all goes right on the left side but the category links are incorrect.

Link(incorrect):

http://www. myweb .com/gpu-nvidia-pci-xpress-c-_53.html

Link(should be):

http://www. myweb .com/gpu-nvidia-pci-xpress-c-105_53.html

I reseted the cache but nothing. The c_path are incorrect(..c-_53) why?

Hi

I notice some duplicate entries of my categories today in Google's index.

my-category-c-2562-253

is accessible and does not redirect for the following:

my-category-c-562-253

my-category-c-62-253

my-category-c-00000002562-253

Can anybody confirm the same issue?

Also product URls are accessible by adding anything to the identifier. eg

My-product-p-86.html

My-product-p-000000000000086.html

Doesn't sound like USU5 which contribution are you using?

Robert, I have converted my site to utf-8 and:

Using usu5:

Tidy reports: Warning: escaping malformed URI reference href="http://www.u2commerce.com/index.php/kläder-c-26">

foreign characters goes bananas... that do not work of course.

Setting usu5 to false in admin gives for the same link:

href="http://www.u2commerce.com/index.php?cPath=26">

So, How can I fix this?

Sara

ps: I have tried for a week now, and couldn't do it. But looking into the code gives me chills... you are fantastic! ds

Robert, I have converted my site to utf-8 and:

Using usu5:

Tidy reports: Warning: escaping malformed URI reference href="http://www.u2commerce.com/index.php/kläder-c-26">

foreign characters goes bananas... that do not work of course.

Setting usu5 to false in admin gives for the same link:

href="http://www.u2commerce.com/index.php?cPath=26">

So, How can I fix this?

Sara

ps: I have tried for a week now, and couldn't do it. But looking into the code gives me chills... you are fantastic! ds

Hi Sara

Special characters need to be converted.

See operation.htm "Enter special character conversions."

The currently offered conversion files are in extras/character_conversion_pack

BUT I'm not multi lingual and these should be taken as just a guide, also there is the BIG issue of charset.

You need to create a character conversion file, save it in the correct charset ( UTF-8 ) then upload it to ..

catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/includes/character_conversion/

It must be named the same as the language ( e.g. if the language is set in osCommerce admin as Spanish then the file must be spanish.php just like the files in the languages directory ).

Then reset the USU5 cache for the change to take effect.

Edited by FWR Media

I get this behaviour with vanilla 2.3.1 and a drop on top of r205 of usu5 pro. Can i PM you a link to my test site?

I can understand the categories as

my-category-c-562-253

my-category-c-62-253

Are exactly the same category.

but My-product-p-000000000000086.html will do nothing.

I can understand the categories as

my-category-c-562-253

my-category-c-62-253

Are exactly the same category.

but My-product-p-000000000000086.html will do nothing.

Yes. i thought about the products afterwards. Should be OK, i have not seen any appearing in the SE index, but the categories are a problem.

Yes. i thought about the products afterwards. Should be OK, i have not seen any appearing in the SE index, but the categories are a problem.

Well the category thing never came up in development or in the old contribution. I wouldn't have considered it as it's obviously SEO suicide to have two different URLs pointing to exactly the same category with exactly the same title/content etc.

Edited by FWR Media

Well the category thing never came up in development or in the old contribution. I wouldn't have considered it as it's obviously SEO suicide to have two different URLs pointing to exactly the same category with exactly the same title/content etc.

Hi

On your previous stable r141 this was not an issue. I just reinatalled on test to confirm. The auto redirect was there and prevented duplicates from getting in the index.

Hi

On your previous stable r141 this was not an issue. I just reinatalled on test to confirm. The auto redirect was there and prevented duplicates from getting in the index.

Hi Ashley

Please try the attached file and post back here how it handles your issue.

This replacement file intends to handle an issue where an old/changed cPath would not 301 redirect to the new version.

catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/main/validator.php

validator.php

Edited by FWR Media

Hi Ashley

Please try the attached file and post back here how it handles your issue.

This replacement file intends to handle an issue where an old/changed cPath would not 301 redirect to the new version.

catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/main/validator.php

validator.php

Hi, I tried it now, and it works perfect! :thumbsup:

Hi Robert, thanks for your answer :) I will do that.

By the way I have been reading a bit more and learned that This is the preferred way to change the charset:

mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET utf8");

Using mysql_query() to execute SET NAMES .. is not recommended.

Also I think that this should go in application_top and not in the language files:

mb_internal_encoding("UTF-8");

So that the usu5 becomes aware of the encoding before it is loaded. What's your view on this?

Kindest

Sara

Cache Location.

My live server does not allow ANY write access within the document root, so I need to DEFINE a path outside of it. I do this with the standard osC backup directory.

It would be nice to have this as an option, but in the meantime does anyone have any guidance on this before I hack things around too much!

Alan

I CAREFULLY installed according to directions into a 2.2 OSC, upgrading from Chemo's. The store breaks and I get this:

Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch() on a non-object in blahblah/catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/main/usu5.php on line 308

The only discrepancy I saw during install was step 3 where I was asked to replace this:

////
// Redirect to another page or site
 function tep_redirect($url) {
   if ( (strstr($url, "\n") != false) || (strstr($url, "\r") != false) ) { 
     tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, '', 'NONSSL', false));
   }

if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && (getenv('HTTPS') == 'on') ) { // We are loading an SSL page
     if (substr($url, 0, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)) == HTTP_SERVER) { // NONSSL url
       $url = HTTPS_SERVER . substr($url, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)); // Change it to SSL
     }
   }

header('Location: ' . $url);

tep_exit();
 }

But what was actually in my original code was this:

////
// Redirect to another page or site
 function tep_redirect($url) {
//    if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && (getenv('HTTPS') == 'on') ) { // We are loading an SSL page
if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && (getenv('SERVER_PORT') == '443') ) { // We are loading an SSL page
     if (substr($url, 0, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)) == HTTP_SERVER) { // NONSSL url
       $url = HTTPS_SERVER . substr($url, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)); // Change it to SSL
     }
   }

header('Location: ' . $url);

tep_exit();
 }

Additionally, your instructions refer to separate directories for the caches as such:

Important: now ensure that the following two directories are writable. Dependent on your server this may be 0755 or 0777.

* catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/cache_system/cache/

* catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/cache_system/sqlite/

But there is only the the one cache_system directory with files within (no separate "cache" and "sqlite" directories.)

Any help? This is a live store, so debugging is not as simple as it would be otherwise. Thanks!

Any help? This is a live store, so debugging is not as simple as it would be otherwise. Thanks!

Point 1:

It is possible your hosts haven't installed sqlite ( which would be odd ) in which case have a go at your hosts then change the cache strategy in admin to file.

Note: Before changing the cache strategy do point 3.

Point 2:

Just replace the complete function function tep_redirect( with the code in the instructions, I can't cater for modified code in the instructions.

Point 3:

The upload package contained both a cache/ and an sqlite/ directory inside cache_system/ so you should have uploaded them then made them writeable.

Edited by FWR Media

Point 1:

It is possible your hosts haven't installed sqlite ( which would be odd ) in which case have a go at your hosts then change the cache strategy in admin to file.

Note: Before changing the cache strategy do point 3.

Point 2:

Just replace the complete function function tep_redirect( with the code in the instructions, I can't cater for modified code in the instructions.

Point 3:

The upload package contained both a cache/ and an sqlite/ directory inside cache_system/ so you should have uploaded them then made them writeable.

It seems that my zip extraction program ignored those two dirs in Point 3 because they were empty (WTF? If I say "extract all" is should bloody well extract ALL!). Anyway, I've created them in their proper position and set permissions to 755.

I did as suggested in point 2 the first time. I'll do it again in this next trial.

For this attempt, I'll assume the missing dirs were the problem not an uninstalled sqlite on the server. Crossing fingers....

Those missing directories were the problem - it works like a charm. Thanks for the quick response and for another GREAT add-in! Now, if only I can figure out how to remove the old SEO URL menu item from within admin...

I figured out how to hide the other program's menu option in the database.

Is there a uri format that is preferred by Google over another? I like the path_rewrite the best. How much penalty is incurred if I change it from what I had been using before? Is that SEO suicide?

Also, does this add-in take care of the "linked-product-in-a-different-category" duplicity issue as far as Google is concerned?

Thanks again for a GREAT mod!

Is there a uri format that is preferred by Google over another?

I personally don't think so. As long as you have some keywords relative to the search then it is objective achieved.

How much penalty is incurred if I change it from what I had been using before? Is that SEO suicide?

There's no penalty. If the old URLs redirect to the new, then you should be OK to maintain your position. If not, then yes that would be SEO suicide.

There's no penalty. If the old URLs redirect to the new, then you should be OK to maintain your position. If not, then yes that would be SEO suicide.

I don't actually agree with this.

USU5 PRO 301 redirects the old to the new which is the recommended practise .. BUT .. nothing is better than retaining existing urls.

Change indexed URLs at your peril!

hi, thanks for the great contribution.

i've got a problem, I've tried to search over the net but failed to find a solution. hope someone could help.

for some links, EG. those that contain index.php & product_info.php,

when I right click on the link there's only 1 SID displayed (as is should be) but

once I actually click on the link, the same SID will be repeated in the URL and the page cant be loaded,

the URL turns to something like this: http://www.mystore.com/product_info.php/test-product-p-1?sid=381ccfd162c9edf53a2&amrsid=381ccfd162c9edf53a2

Error message :

Too many redirects occurred trying to open “http://www.mystore.com/product_info.php/test-product-p-1?sid=381ccfd162c9edf53a2&amrsid=381ccfd162c9edf53a2”.

This might occur if you open a page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected to open the original page.

SOS

Hi Robert,

I tried your debugging method mentioned in earlier post ( ?fwrtest )

here are the results:

product_info.php contained: ( product_info.php )

index.php contained: ( index.php )

Versions used:

oscommerce-2.2rc2a

SEO Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO r205

Tks in advance !