• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"Categories Description" Contribution

mmstoned

Hello All!

I've tried to install the Categories Description Contribtion several times to no avail.

I get the following error on pages when I click on product categories that have no sub-categories. I do have the field to add the product description from the admin panel, but it is messed up otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'select cd.categories_description from categories c, categories_description cd wh' at line 1

select cd.categories_name, select cd.categories_description from categories c, categories_description cd where c.categories_id = '27' and cd.categories_id = '27' and cd.language_id = '1'

[TEP STOP]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming the problem lies somewhere in the index.php file. I'm rather new at this and troubleshooting isn't one of my stong points yet.

I was wondering if somebody can lend me a hand in fixing this? The contribution is exactly what I need and I look forward to getting it to work.

Thanks!

Jeff

did you upload or run that mysql query that came witht he contribution??? that seems like what you are missing

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's an error in your SQL shown above.

You are showing:

select cd.categories_name, select cd.categories_description from categories c, categories_description cd where c.categories_id = '27' and cd.categories_id = '27' and cd.language_id = '1'

and it should be:

select cd.categories_name, cd.categories_description from categories c, categories_description cd where c.categories_id = '27' and cd.categories_id = '27' and cd.language_id = '1'

BTW - MySQL.org is giving away an SQL utility program (actually a set of them) that allows you to connect to your osCommerce MySQL database; run queries on the DB; modify tables; add; modify or delete records. It's called MySQL workbench and can be seen / downloaded here: MySQL Workbench. You can connect remotely to your store database using the utility. Did I mention it was free?

With the workbench utility program you can run queries (like the one above) and test it to see where the problems are - it has some minor SQL troubleshooting help - but the user interface is where the real "help" exists.

Hope this helps...

Gaver

SurfboardSigns.com & AuthenticEndlessSummer.com

Gaver

diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie" - while you look for a rock.

no. Just because the fields are there does not mean that your ran the sql queries correctly. OR the contribution that you used was made for an older version of PHP/MySql which would mean that the syntax used in the query you ran was correct at teh time, but because there were updates to the syntax since the contribution was made, it is no longer valid.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hello All!

I've tried to install the Categories Description Contribtion several times to no avail.

I get the following error on pages when I click on product categories that have no sub-categories. I do have the field to add the product description from the admin panel, but it is messed up otherwise.

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'select cd.categories_description from categories c, categories_description cd wh' at line 1

[TEP STOP]

I'm assuming the problem lies somewhere in the index.php file. I'm rather new at this and troubleshooting isn't one of my stong points yet.

I was wondering if somebody can lend me a hand in fixing this? The contribution is exactly what I need and I look forward to getting it to work.

Thanks!

Jeff

Was it http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4294