• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

auctionTastic

FWR Media

Yes

This product is available on auction .. go here to join in! - IS RIGHT

And in action product_info will button BUY NOW which will add the product to Shopping Cart or (I think easier way) guide you to categories product_info (on the same product) where you are able to add the product to your shopping card, buy it and that will cancel the auction.

If I am reading this correctly your requested modification will have the same impact as the BUY IT NOW button has on eBay.

As a general rule not all products set up as Auctions will need a BUY IT NOW button because admin may wish to avoid that for various reasons, it might be an idea to add a checkbox in admin/auctions near the expiry date which would allow the original product_info.php block of Reviews/Add to Cart to appear in the catalog/product_info.php?auctions pages. If the checkbox was not selected the block of code simply would not show.

Come to think of it there is a logic to your suggestion, if I'm reading it correctly.

Edited by chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I am pretty sure I will use a version of this contribution in a live store at some point so am happy to assist as and when I can with pleasure.

I think I'll spend some time over the next couple of days setting up Auctions in order to test the Tax and Stock deduction side of the contribution, just to see if it runs as it should. I will post my findings as soon as I have anything.

Thanks for your continued vigilance in testing Chooch, this has become a far more solid product since you started helping (same to Ankur too).

It is indeed a sizeable script and although I would have preferred to see it built from scratch as opposed to its starting as an effort to "make work" a broken auctions script, I did at least manage to make it somewhat of a "module". What I mean by that is I went back over the repository tonight and realised that even all the way back to the first release there are no further changes to osCommerce files, as long as a user hasn't changed files from the "upload" folder" an upgrade should simply mean "plonking" the new upload folder on top of the site.

While I am pleased with the beta 4 (not available yet at oscommerce) script I do feel it could still do with more testing before it could be termed a "release candidate".

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

@Chooch

I think the following will work: -

includes/modules/auctions/classes/oscAuctions.php

Find (about line 447) ..

tep_db_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_AUCTIONS_BIDS . " SET bid_status = 'won' WHERE bid_price = '" . (float)$this->auctionCompleteBidPrice . "'
			  AND auctions_id = '" . (int)$this->auctionCompleteId . "'");
// Added in case where the bid_date_added is larger than the auction expiry datetime due to a second or two lag
tep_db_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_AUCTIONS_BIDS . " SET bid_date_added = '" . $this->auctionExpiredDate . "'
WHERE bid_price = '" . (float)$this->auctionCompleteBidPrice . "'
AND auctions_id = '" . (int)$this->auctionCompleteId . "'
AND bid_date_added > '" . $this->auctionExpiredDate . "'");

Change to ..

tep_db_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_AUCTIONS_BIDS . " SET bid_status = 'won' WHERE bid_price = " . (float)$this->auctionCompleteBidPrice . "
			  AND auctions_id = '" . (int)$this->auctionCompleteId . "'");
// Added in case where the bid_date_added is larger than the auction expiry datetime due to a second or two lag
tep_db_query("UPDATE " . TABLE_AUCTIONS_BIDS . " SET bid_date_added = '" . $this->auctionExpiredDate . "'
WHERE bid_price = " . (float)$this->auctionCompleteBidPrice . "
AND auctions_id = '" . (int)$this->auctionCompleteId . "'
AND bid_date_added > '" . $this->auctionExpiredDate . "'");

this was realy hidden........it is great that you caught this small difference(but big effect) in terms of string or float.....thanks to chooch also for doing such a deep testing

i verified as well the return of query after change is more accurate for floating values.......

Has anyone had a conflict with Chemo's Dynamic Meta Tag Contribution ???

I just installed the Auction Contribution and immediately received more than 20 error messages all relating to the Meta Tag Contribution.

Any ideas, other than removing the meta tag contribution ??

Chris

ps. It also conflicts with the Scrolling specials contribution and featured products contribution. <_<

Edited by DunWeb

It's difficult to say why there would be a conflict without knowing what those three contributions consist of. I use Chemo's SEO URL's (not dynamic metatags) and have no problems with auctions. If your specials and featured products contributions are not working properly and they are on the index.php or newly created featured_products.php or scrolling_specials.php then they have no connection to auctions as auctions modifies product_info.php

I suggest you post in each of the three individual support threads asking for assistance, in the event there is no support thread maybe you should consider creating one so other people using the same contributions can benefit

I just installed the Auction Contribution and immediately received more than 20 error messages all relating to the Meta Tag Contribution.

Chris

ps. It also conflicts with the Scrolling specials contribution and featured products contribution. <_<

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

this was realy hidden........it is great that you caught this small difference(but big effect) in terms of string or float.....thanks to chooch also for doing such a deep testing

i verified as well the return of query after change is more accurate for floating values.......

It would help out significantly more if we all can try to replicate each others errors when we post them here, rather than re-state and re-confirm the error once a fix has been found. Having 2, 3 or 4 people reporting anf confirming the same bug/error is more important than just one person doing it as it means it's not an isolated occurance.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

Hi Chooch,

Thank you for your reply. I will post each error when I try it again. I am in the process of verifying the installation to ensure it is not my error that caused the problems.

Chris

Hi Chooch,

Thank you for your reply. I will post each error when I try it again. I am in the process of verifying the installation to ensure it is not my error that caused the problems.

Chris

auctionTastic has be written with great care to seperate the auctionTastic logic from the core oscommerce files. This is why there are so few changes to make in the osCommerce files for such a large script. This is also why upgrades so far only entail swapping over the files from the upload directory.

I can't see where a conflict could occur unless it was created while editing the relevant files.

Edited by FWR Media

It would help out significantly more if we all can try to replicate each others errors when we post them here, rather than re-state and re-confirm the error once a fix has been found. Having 2, 3 or 4 people reporting anf confirming the same bug/error is more important than just one person doing it as it means it's not an isolated occurance.

Sure CHOOCH, i will keep this in mind and will try my best to keep your words....

@ DunWeb

I have a many contibution installed on my shop, so far i have not got any conflict.......also this script do not impact on core files as such other then calling or including the AuctionTastic files...

It is very much required that we follow all the installation process on modified shop with great care.....i will suggest and request that if you try to check installation once again step by step...specialy for manual editing of files....

Hi Chooch,

Chris

Sorry Chris my statement was made with a different angle and not intended for you however looking at this from a slightly different perspective I am guessing the metatags you refer to are on product_info.php (dynamically generated metatags for product pages, SEO pulled from category names or product names created in admin, or both) so I advise you try to take a look at your catalog/product_info.php manual edits and/or your catalog/includes/application_top.php manual edit to make sure they are correctly done.

Hope something works out for you.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

FWR - I noticed a possible bug. For some reason the Auction item won does not get added to the cart immediately upon auto-page refresh when the Auction ends. The admin continues to show Added to Cart in admin/auctions.php but in the catalog end I had to log out and then log back in to get the item Added to Cart. This problem seems to happen only in the Firefox browser and does not happen in IE.

This was tested in a modified store and fresh install. I still have other things to check before posting back later but thought this was worth bringing up.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

FWR - I've done some more testing and noted some very interesting things. These were all carried out on a fresh install.

1) In catalog/auctions.php where the countdown js is visually static I ran an experiment using Firefox and IE.

I had one bid each on different usernames for different browsers and then put both browsers on catalog/auctions.php. As there was no auto-refresh at auction end there is a possibility of someone placing a winning bid and going back to catalog/auctions.php and staying put. If they stay on that page with navigating at some point they will be timed out and will not know they have won the item until or unless they check their email inbox to find a winning bidder email or unless they log back in to find the item added to cart. And the emails are only sent out after the refresh/auto-refresh of the auction product info page.

A suggestion: It may be better to add a manual countdown a'la product_info or if too many countdown clocks will appear when too many items are auctioned, maybe the clocks should not countdown but there could be an automatic refresh every 30 seconds or so will make sure a bidder doesn't lose track of time no matter how distracted they may become. Even though the refresh or js countdown with auto-refresh in catalog/auctions.php will not update the specific product_info page to trigger the adding of cart or sending out winning emails etc it is something worth considering even if it is just for being more user friendly.

2) Keeping the above scenario in mind and following on from it: In admin/auctions.php the settings did change from 'Auction Open' to 'Auction Ended' but that part would not change to 'Added to Cart' until or unless that product page was refreshed/auto-refreshed.

A suggestion: For the admin end as there are stages to go through (Auction Open, Auction Ended, Won, Added to Cart), it may be an idea to consider leaving all won auctions as ' Auction Ended' until they are manually updated in admin. Maybe that was something one of the authors of the US contribution was attempting because I can't see the logic of automatically allowing a WON item to be added straight to the cart and also have an option in admin to REMOVE it. That scenario would only work if the winner decided not to pay therefore admin and choose the next bidder by using REMOVE but what if admin does want to REMOVE the winning bidder but the winning bidder has already checked out and beaten admin to it? It may make more sense to 'Update' or 'Confirm' the winning bid in the same place where the REMOVE option is placed as once selected/confirmed that can also trigger the 'winning email' cutting out the hassles of automatically sending a winning bid only to have to send another to the same bidder/winner if they are removed in admin using REMOVE.

Just a thought: I'm looking for feedback on usability/feasiblity for this suggestion (2) as even if it does not get incorporated in to a released version there is a big chance I may make these changes for a live store so opinions and thoughts are requested from all please.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

FWR - I've done some more testing and noted some very interesting things. These were all carried out on a fresh install.

1) In catalog/auctions.php where the countdown js is visually static I ran an experiment using Firefox and IE.

I had one bid each on different usernames for different browsers and then put both browsers on catalog/auctions.php. As there was no auto-refresh at auction end there is a possibility of someone placing a winning bid and going back to catalog/auctions.php and staying put. If they stay on that page with navigating at some point they will be timed out and will not know they have won the item until or unless they check their email inbox to find a winning bidder email or unless they log back in to find the item added to cart. And the emails are only sent out after the refresh/auto-refresh of the auction product info page.

A suggestion: It may be better to add a manual countdown a'la product_info or if too many countdown clocks will appear when too many items are auctioned, maybe the clocks should not countdown but there could be an automatic refresh every 30 seconds or so will make sure a bidder doesn't lose track of time no matter how distracted they may become. Even though the refresh or js countdown with auto-refresh in catalog/auctions.php will not update the specific product_info page to trigger the adding of cart or sending out winning emails etc it is something worth considering even if it is just for being more user friendly.

FWR & CHOOCH , I also agree with this point, as i have seen this feature on all good auction sites......they have a common page for all list of live auction which get updates second by second......this will help our possible bidder to monitor number of products OR to know which is just about to finish........

FWR for info only, when i tried to make second by second display on Product_info, i also tried on auction.php, but since their are more then one display of countdown it was not working proper......we may need some alternative other then...document.write JS command....

2) Keeping the above scenario in mind and following on from it: In admin/auctions.php the settings did change from 'Auction Open' to 'Auction Ended' but that part would not change to 'Added to Cart' until or unless that product page was refreshed/auto-refreshed.

A suggestion: For the admin end as there are stages to go through (Auction Open, Auction Ended, Won, Added to Cart), it may be an idea to consider leaving all won auctions as ' Auction Ended' until they are manually updated in admin. Maybe that was something one of the authors of the US contribution was attempting because I can't see the logic of automatically allowing a WON item to be added straight to the cart and also have an option in admin to REMOVE it. That scenario would only work if the winner decided not to pay therefore admin and choose the next bidder by using REMOVE but what if admin does want to REMOVE the winning bidder but the winning bidder has already checked out and beaten admin to it? It may make more sense to 'Update' or 'Confirm' the winning bid in the same place where the REMOVE option is placed as once selected/confirmed that can also trigger the 'winning email' cutting out the hassles of automatically sending a winning bid only to have to send another to the same bidder/winner if they are removed in admin using REMOVE.

Just a thought: I'm looking for feedback on usability/feasiblity for this suggestion (2) as even if it does not get incorporated in to a released version there is a big chance I may make these changes for a live store so opinions and thoughts are requested from all please.

CHOOCH, i cant see this as problem because on an auction their will be more then one user, so this job will be triggered as normal.....still it will be nice if you can explain this again with some real time examples......

FWR - I noticed a possible bug. For some reason the Auction item won does not get added to the cart immediately upon auto-page refresh when the Auction ends. The admin continues to show Added to Cart in admin/auctions.php but in the catalog end I had to log out and then log back in to get the item Added to Cart. This problem seems to happen only in the Firefox browser and does not happen in IE.

This was tested in a modified store and fresh install. I still have other things to check before posting back later but thought this was worth bringing up.

Could this be because you have multiple sessions open at the same time?

Could this be because you have multiple sessions open at the same time?

I'll double check and get back FWR... does anyone use Firefox who can test it too?

CHOOCH

It seems I have won a Bugs Life auction which was added to the cart but not yet paid for. I then created a new Bugs Life auction and won that but it's the second item not being added to the cart.

CHOOCH

It seems I have won a Bugs Life auction which was added to the cart but not yet paid for. I then created a new Bugs Life auction and won that but it's the second item not being added to the cart.

Yes that makes sense .. if you won the product once and haven't yet paid .. why would we add the second.

Basically there is no code to cater for this and imo the admin should have deleted the non payer auction (or at least passed the winning bid down) before starting another.

Tell me if my logic is out.

Edited by FWR Media

Yes that makes sense .. if you won the product once and haven't yet paid .. why would we add the second.

Basically there is no code to cater for this and imo the admin should have deleted the non payer auction (or at least passed the winning bid down) before starting another.

Tell me if my logic is out.

No your logic is not out. The only time it doesn't work is when there are more than one auction is quick succession or simultaneously run together. At least we know it is intended to work that way and it isn't a bug.

Thanks

CHOOCH

Hi Robert,

Hopefully this is the correct place to post.

I have installed the contribution onto my modified oscommmerce store.

I have all of these errors all over:-

Notice: Undefined variable: _sid in /htdocs/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 775

Notice: Use of undefined constant MAX_DESCR_1 - assumed 'MAX_DESCR_1' in /htdocs/includes/header.php on line 163

Notice: Undefined variable: connection in /htdocs/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 824

Notice: Undefined variable: return in /htdocs/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 1073

Notice: Undefined offset: -1 in /htdocs/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 1041

Notice: Undefined variable: _sid in /htdocs/includes/classes/seo.class.php on line 775

Notice: Undefined variable: num_prod in /htdocs/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 40

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Guys,

I just noticed Tony's post...Those are the exact same errors I received when I installed it but instead of SEO my error is Meta tags.

As well as it stops the featured products and scrolling specials contributions from working.

Chris

The currently available contribution in includes/modules/auctions/classes/oscAuctions.php

Has error_reporting(E_ALL); oscommerce spews out notices in standard form so comment it out like: -

// error_reporting(E_ALL);

I just forgot to remove it, I test error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT); which stands absolutely no chance on a standard osC install.

Robert,

I // out the error reporting as you stated. That allows the contribution to run without displaying all the errors.

I am just testing the contribution now to see if it is fully functional on the site I am doing.

btw, is there an info box that can be created for auction items so we can put them in the left or right column on the main page ?

Chris