• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Search Plus

Jack_mcs

This contribution doesn't change the admin at all so that problem can't be related to it.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack, thanks for the great contribution! The results returned are spot on. I am however running into some performance sluggishness on my store which has 4500 products (unsurprisingly!). We're talking around 15 seconds for the query to run when entered directly into phpMyAdmin.

I'm on a dedicated server so power isn't really an issue – any ideas on how this could be improved, or would you recommend going back to the drawing board?

Again big thanks!

Joe

MacMan strikes again!

Always backup first before listening to me!

You can disable the code that checks the files and others pages (like information manager, if you use that) but I think the main slowdown is coming from the code having to check the descriptions of all of those products. I don't think there is much that can be done about that.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Try using the advanced_search_result.php and includes/modules/product_list.php files from the contribution to see if the problem goes away. If it does, you replace yours one at a time to isolate the problem. If not, it has something to do with your installation/server.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jack

I have a small problem. I run this contribution on my test server and I just ran it, it works quite well. But, and again but. I doesn't like that it is showing my card processing files under files I've found.

So how do I turn this of?

Best Regards

Michelle Nielsen

Uniquelady.dk

By "card processing files" do you mean the checkout pages? If so, is the problem that they are showing up in the files section of the search results? What are you typing in for the search string?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

By "card processing files" do you mean the checkout pages? If so, is the problem that they are showing up in the files section of the search results? What are you typing in for the search string?

Jack

Hi Jack

If you type in something to search on www.uniquelady.michellecorydon.dk/catalog/avanced_search.php

There in the bottom a list of files on the website is showing - sometimes if you search it will also come up with the checkout files. It would be lovely to get that function turned off.

The link is for my test shop.

Best Regards

Michelle Nielsen

In the includes/functions/site_search.php file, find this line

$fileList = CheckFileContents($dir, $searchTerm, $fileList, $languageDir);

and change it to

//$fileList = CheckFileContents($dir, $searchTerm, $fileList, $languageDir);

That should remove it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If it displays "no product found," or something similar, then it means you missed a step in the installation procedure.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

I have a strange question...I'm asking here because I have this contrib installed and I know Jack is very smart. :)

I am in the midst of creating a Google Toolbar button that allows people to search my site for something they have already searched elsewhere on the web for. I have everything set up except the search part...I don't know how it should look (btw - it is contained in an xml file).

Right now I have it as:

<search charset="iso-8859-1">

http://www.mysite.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&inc_subcat=1&keywords={query}&pfrom=&pto=&categories_id=&x=0&y=0</search>

The query part is then replaced (by Google) by the keywords entered in the original search. (All of the &'s were replaced with &'s as required when using XML)

When I use this button, however, nothing is searched/returned - you are just taken to catalog/index.php. So I am wondering if I'm even putting the correct stuff there to do a search on my site.

I know this post could be a long shot, but I have no idea how search works. TIA

UPDATE: Never mind...it's an IE problem. It's working fine in Firefox.

Edited by vicster

I have a strange question...I'm asking here because I have this contrib installed and I know Jack is very smart. :)

Ha Ha - another one fooled. :)

I know this post could be a long shot, but I have no idea how search works. TIA

I can't help you with this. You can try posting in the general forum though. But I'm pretty sure google will provide help with getting that to work and there is a google forum for such questions where you are more likely to find an answer.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to make the site search not search in the files? If a customer searches on my website they get the following "Products meeting the search criteria" and "Files found meeting the search criteria".

So is it possible just to search in the Products so that it doesn't slow down the search wait time.

Thanks,

Jeff

Is it possible to make the site search not search in the files? If a customer searches on my website they get the following "Products meeting the search criteria" and "Files found meeting the search criteria".

So is it possible just to search in the Products so that it doesn't slow down the search wait time.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yes, but finding the answer is very dificult. Please closely follow these steps:

- Click on the browsers scroll bar to the right

- Scroll up about six posts

- Read the post

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

I have Info Pages Unlimited installed

Will Site search Plus search these pages or is there a modification available

The Extra Info pages are stored in the database

Martin

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

There is code in it to search the Information Pages, which are also in the database. That code can be edited to read in some other contribution. You would just need to copy and rename the function CheckInfomationPages in includes/functions/site_search.php and then add a line for the new function in the CheckAllPages function. The most dificult part would be in changing the code in the new function to read in the database information but that can be copied from wherever that contribution loads that information normally.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I had some trouble installing this contrib. The troubles I had were to let it work on mysql 5 and with product extra fields.

I did de following, and at my site it's working:

Instead of:

$from_str = "from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m using(manufacturers_id) left join " . TABLE_SPECIALS . " s on p.products_id = s.products_id left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " pa on p.products_id = pa.products_id left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS_VALUES . " pov on pa.options_values_id = pov.products_options_values_id ";

I used:

$from_str = "from (((((" . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p) left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_PRODUCTS_EXTRA_FIELDS . " p2pef on p.products_id=p2pef.products_id) left join " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m on m.manufacturers_id=p.manufacturers_id, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd) left join " . TABLE_SPECIALS . " s on p.products_id = s.products_id) left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_ATTRIBUTES . " pa on p.products_id = pa.products_id) left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_OPTIONS_VALUES . " pov on 'pa.options_values_id = pov.products_options_values_id' ,". TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_TO_CATEGORIES . " p2c" ;

Instead of:

$where_str .= "(((pd.products_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' or p.products_model like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' or m.manufacturers_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' )) or ( pov.products_options_values_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' )";

I used:

$where_str .= "((pd.products_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' or p.products_model like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' or m.manufacturers_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%') or ( pov.products_options_values_name like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%' ) or p2pef.products_extra_fields_value like '%" . tep_db_input($keyword) . "%'";

I don't know if the code is completely right, so if anyone has recommendations, I love to hear it