• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is there a way to remove pages from google?

php_Guy

I set up an online test store and forgot to set up disallows for it in robots.txt so google immediately indexed the whole thing. I've removed the test store now but googlebot is attempting to check those pages over and over and over. Not to mention that I now have all the pages from my test store indexed on google.

Is there anything I can do to get them removed from google? I assume googlebot will eventally quit looking for them on my site so I'm not too concerned about that aspect but I hate having all those bogus pages out there tied to my domain.

There is an option on googles webmaster tools where you can request urls to be removed. Sometimes though, whole sites get removed that way so you need to be careful about what you ask for. You could also setup a 301 redirect for the whole directory. Just add the directory back in and place a 301 redirect to the home page. They will eventually figure it out. Or, since it has been deleted, just ignore it. They will go away and not cause any damage in the meantime.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

There is an option on googles webmaster tools where you can request urls to be removed. Sometimes though, whole sites get removed that way so you need to be careful about what you ask for. You could also setup a 301 redirect for the whole directory. Just add the directory back in and place a 301 redirect to the home page. They will eventually figure it out. Or, since it has been deleted, just ignore it. They will go away and not cause any damage in the meantime.

Jack

Thanks for the response. I'll look into webmaster tools. It sounds like something that may have other cool features as well.

I haven't had a chance to look into webmaster tools yet but I stuck this in .htaccess and I think it may do the trick

RewriteEngine On 

# Mark pages that no longer exist as 410-Gone to stop GoogleBot, etc from trying to re-index them.
 RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} "^GET /osCommerce_v2\.2r1" [NC]
 RewriteRule .* - [G,L]

Even though the directory has been deleted for some time, GoogleBot keeps requesting various pages and receives a '302 Found - HTTP_MOVED_TEMPORARILY' status code.

This code forces a response of '410 Gone - HTTP_GONE'. Hopefully, GoogleBot will get the idea, quit requesting those pages, and remove the entries from google. If not, I'll look into how to do it other ways but I think this may work.

Archived