• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce and website changing basics

custompilotshirts

Hi All,

I would like to add a link called "Partner Sites" to my information pane (box) on the right side of every page on my site. I want that link to take the user to a new page that will list my Partner Sites or referrals, etc. Basically it's a separate page for a link exchange. On that page, I want all of the same things as on all the other pages (header, right column, footer, etc).

I realize that I could just hire someone to do it for me but if I learn to do this basic programming task within osCommerce then I will gain a knowledge that will open up many other opportunities to add to my site when I see fit. "Buy a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for life." If I learn what to do here I'm sure I'd take less of your time in the future asking questions and maybe I'll be able to even contribute some answers to other users future questions.

What I'm asking is if someone could take the time to explain to me how to do this I'd very much appreciate it. I have read Lindsay's file structure post and have tried to find other such posts. I've gone through many other posts and have not found this particular question asked in the past.

I'm thinking there are several files that need to be changed or added in order to do this (catalog/includes, catalog/includes/boxes, and admin/catalog/includes files and probably a few more). I don't know where else to go except this great forum where the knowledge is.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

www.custompilotshirts.com

right there in the knowledge base it tells you EXACTLY what to do. basically what they tell you to do is open the SHIPPING AND RETURNS page in a code editor, make the changes you need to include your links, and exclude your shipping stuff, rename the file to what you want to, and upload it to the same place (MAKE SURE TO RENAME IT!!)

then you go to filenames.php and make a line like this:

define(yourfilename.php);

then go to your infobox that has the link for your shipping and returns page.. find the line where it links to the shipping page and copy that.. the paste it and just change the (FILENAME_SHIPPING) to (FILENAME_YOURNEWFILE)

Its really easy if you do it that way.. thats how i do most of my new pages..

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

right there in the knowledge base it tells you EXACTLY what to do. basically what they tell you to do is open the SHIPPING AND RETURNS page in a code editor, make the changes you need to include your links, and exclude your shipping stuff, rename the file to what you want to, and upload it to the same place (MAKE SURE TO RENAME IT!!)

then you go to filenames.php and make a line like this:

define(yourfilename.php);

then go to your infobox that has the link for your shipping and returns page.. find the line where it links to the shipping page and copy that.. the paste it and just change the (FILENAME_SHIPPING) to (FILENAME_YOURNEWFILE)

Its really easy if you do it that way.. thats how i do most of my new pages..

It worked! Thanks very much for the reply. It's people like you that make this place work.

A follow-on question is how do I make some of the text on my new page (Partner Sites) a link to a website that opens up a new browser window? In other words I want to make the words PilotStuff.com a link to PilotStuff.com by opening a new browser and going there. I also would like to know how to make the words bold. Thanks.

Rob

custompilotshirts.com

i BELIEVE you code it as you would hardcode (since its outside your site) and then you make a target="blank" which opens it on a new page..

There is an example if you go to catalog/includes/functions/banners.php because the banners open links in new windows..

and MOST people would have taken offense to my answer becaise i didnt tell you exactly how to do it.. but i'm glad you used the advice given.. there is a lot more in that knowlesge base than you think!

bolding text is just a simple <b>type text</b>

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

i BELIEVE you code it as you would hardcode (since its outside your site) and then you make a target="blank" which opens it on a new page..

There is an example if you go to catalog/includes/functions/banners.php because the banners open links in new windows..

and MOST people would have taken offense to my answer becaise i didnt tell you exactly how to do it.. but i'm glad you used the advice given.. there is a lot more in that knowlesge base than you think!

bolding text is just a simple <b>type text</b>

Here's the code I used and the link opens to a new browser window

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', '<a href="http://www.pilotstuff.com" style="color: rgb(0,0,255)" target="_blank">PilotStuff.com</a><br/>

This kind of basic stuff is not in the knowledge base unless I'm missing it somehow.

No offense taken. Knowing how to find the answer is much more valuable than someone just telling you.

I know you realize that and I appreciate it. Obviously computer programming is not my field and I'm OK with that.

Rob

www.custompilotshirts.com

nope.. because what you did was the most basic of basic HTML.. its not an oscommerce thing.. the oscommerce stuff is what is in the knowledge base, like how to create a new osocmmerce page and link form your homepage to that new page

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm completely new to OSCommerce but I'm having to learn very fast as our web developer has mysteriously disappeared and we're due to launch the site at the end of the month.

I've been trying to add an "About us" link and additional page to the footer, so I followed the instructions found in this thread (thank you sooo much btw) to the best of my ability, but it hasn't quite worked.

The 'breadcrumb' navigation text is incorrectly displaying "NAVBAR_TITLE", where it should be displaying "About Duke of Uke", the page title is displaying "HEADING_TITLE" where I would like it also to be displaying "About Duke of Uke". Also there's some text in the top left corner reading "Parse error..."

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong? If anyone thinks they can help, please take a look at the following link to the page:

http://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/about_duke.php

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can give, or if anyone can point me in the right direction to some help in the knowledge base.

Thanks,

Matthew

www.dukeofuke.co.uk

Hello all,

I'm completely new to OSCommerce but I'm having to learn very fast as our web developer has mysteriously disappeared and we're due to launch the site at the end of the month.

I've been trying to add an "About us" link and additional page to the footer, so I followed the instructions found in this thread (thank you sooo much btw) to the best of my ability, but it hasn't quite worked.

The 'breadcrumb' navigation text is incorrectly displaying "NAVBAR_TITLE", where it should be displaying "About Duke of Uke", the page title is displaying "HEADING_TITLE" where I would like it also to be displaying "About Duke of Uke". Also there's some text in the top left corner reading "Parse error..."

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong? If anyone thinks they can help, please take a look at the following link to the page:

http://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/about_duke.php

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can give, or if anyone can point me in the right direction to some help in the knowledge base.

Thanks,

Matthew

www.dukeofuke.co.uk

Problem solved. Thanks anyway.

Archived