• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I have SO MANY questions....

OhHAIguyz

Hello everybody, yes I am totally new!

Ok, in order to change the text of anything on my website or catalog page, I have to open the corresponding file for that text, find some code and change a line of it, then re-upload it to my remote server? Does that go for, every line of text, everywhere?

Can I actually design this whole website to my hearts content? Or do I have to stick with this basic look? Can I install templates somewhere and use them? How do I put in background images, or title images? Or flash objects? Is it even possible? Is it easy? How is it done?

I've seen a lot of those 'demo' sites and they look so much more advanced! For example: http://johnsteins.com/osc/

Is this all done from just typing code? All I've done so far was install Oscommerce to a mySQL database on my web server. I've accessed the page and see no way to actually REDESIGN the look of the site.

Can someone tell me how this is done? Any tutorials on how to make the site look really good? Are they just templates you install and then modify? PLEASE HELP! Ive spent hours and hours playing around with Drupal, Ubercart, and now OsCommerce, I just don't know how to actually DESIGN anything or CHANGE anything!

Hello

Everyone was new once, me I am still new and not good at much except...reading :)

This forum is a wealth of information. The search button has been my best friend for months and months and with it and the kind folks here (someone has almost always asked my questions before ) I managed in some form to get what I needed done.

The answer to most of your questions is yes, almost anything is possible. There are helpful threads with basic design information and places to start from. It takes time to learn and you do have to learn most of it yourself. No one has the time to do step by steps but all you do need to know is right here I promise you. Have a look around, trust me :D Thousands of hours of experience is laid out across many pages and when you do get really stuck and things do not work out, there are many helpful people around who do try hard to help.

Best of luck

Every page is editable. When you open it up in Dreamweaver or any other code program you use use the split view. You will see that everything that shows up in the design window is editable. I personally don't touch the php code blocks because I'm not that good at php, in fact I STILL can't get my questions answered here which amazes me with all the much more highly advanced things being answered and written easily.

Anyway back to you. All the files in your root directory(or installed directory where index.php is) call the includes files. That would be header, footer, left column, right column, etc...

You can look at those files and start moving things around, editing the look and feel. Adding background photos, changing colors, adding photos...pretty much ANYTHING.

I'm working on a site right now http://www.frag-addicts.com/store if you want to see that it is do-able.

If you have any questions PM me and I'll do my best to answer you. I've gotten fairly good at editing the look and feel of the site so I might be able to direct you to the file you would need to edit. If it involves php coding I'd probably have to refer you to the forum.

There a loads of answers already in the forum.

2 good threads to read are the first 2 in the installation forum and the knowledgebase.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm just a little frustrated and wanted to know how the system really works before I try again using OSC. (I tried Drupal/Ubercart and got nowhere)

I did see that Simple Templating System/program thread, I guess thats a must.

Are there any online tutorials someone can just link me? I ask because I have very little time to design this, and I'm gonna be gone all weekend for work, with no internet access. Also, I don't necessarily know what to search for when I don't know what I'm doing to be honest.

For example:

How do you change the color of the whole background?

How do you create a centered website with a different background color?

How do you insert your own custom graphic at the header?

Are all these changes made in the same file somewhere?

These are all questions I don't know how to answer, and would take hours searching, I leave in 30 minutes!! Thanks,

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm just a little frustrated and wanted to know how the system really works before I try again using OSC. (I tried Drupal/Ubercart and got nowhere)

I did see that Simple Templating System/program thread, I guess thats a must.

Are there any online tutorials someone can just link me? I ask because I have very little time to design this, and I'm gonna be gone all weekend for work, with no internet access. Also, I don't necessarily know what to search for when I don't know what I'm doing to be honest.

For example:

How do you change the color of the whole background?

How do you create a centered website with a different background color?

How do you insert your own custom graphic at the header?

Are all these changes made in the same file somewhere?

These are all questions I don't know how to answer, and would take hours searching, I leave in 30 minutes!! Thanks,

Look in Tips and Tricks. It's all there. Everyone of us has time constraints. If you don't have the time to learn the program, you really shouldn't be trying to use it.

in the tips and tricks for here, there are a few threads you HAVE to read

Basics for Design

Oscommerce Roadmap for Newbies

Go to the top of this forum and find SOLUTIONS, then click DOCUMENTATION then find KNOWLEDGE BASE (the knowledge base has a LOT more in it than your think...

the basics for design is a good thread, just read through the whole thing..

the other thing is contributions.. there are packagaes of code and instructions that will help you A LOT.. the more contributions you install yourself, the more familiar you will get with the whole process..

there is a DESIGN BASICS PACK that is the first place you should start. It will teach you about the style sheet, how to put images in places, ect..

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Am I glad it's not only me !

I've just loaded it on to my web site this morning and was wondering what the heck I had let myself in for. No obvious way at all to change that front page. Yes I know that there will be tons of info once I know where to find it, but I would suggest a welcoming page with a big pointy arrow to some first timer help would not be a bad idea ;)

Anyway, time I started to find what I need and try to get my shop open before christmas!

No doubt will be back soon with my own questions.

they could not have made it more obvious!! THey put instructions right ON the front page!!!!

they have stickies in the tips and tricks AND the installation thread.. cant get any more in your face than that!!

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

See this post all the basics are covered if you read them.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1312344

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

they could not have made it more obvious!! THey put instructions right ON the front page!!!!

they have stickies in the tips and tricks AND the installation thread.. cant get any more in your face than that!!

Instructions that haven't worked for me, otherwise I wouldn't have made the comment......

they wouldnt put false instructions!! and if they didnt work for you, but they worked for everyone else, then you might want to take a closer look at what you are doing

they wouldnt put false instructions!! and if they didnt work for you, but they worked for everyone else, then you might want to take a closer look at what you are doing

Perhaps it is one of those templates.

hmmm.. could be.. or could be that following instructions is not the strongest suit

If you don't have the time to learn the program, you really shouldn't be trying to use it.

I have the time for learning the program, but what I don't want to spend my time on, is lookin through thread after thread trying to find useful information. Or searching for those "Good" threads that would actually be helpful. With such a large community, I can see where the good stuff can get lost.

It doesn't help that I have to skim by signatures that refer to vibrator's and bondage either. I find that repulsive. But, do whatever you want right?

You dont have to look through every thread to find your answer. SEARCH!!!

you know, if you go to google, and type

site:www.oscommerce.com/forums then your search

you can cut your looking in half or MORE

Also, do you think everyone here has the time to walk you through the same thing that has been explained OVER and OVER again?? Why when all YOU have to do is spend a few minutes searching.

Also, ALL of the good stuff is right at the top of every forum in a sticky. Its not hard to find the TIPS AND TRICKS section. ONE LOOK in that thread would have given you a LOAD of answers..

AND right on the front page of your site, there is a link to the KNOWLEDGE BASE, guess whats in there.. LOADS of how tos to address all the same questions EVERY newbie has

Also, do you think everyone here has the time to walk you through the same thing that has been explained OVER and OVER again?? Why when all YOU have to do is spend a few minutes searching.

Calm. Down. Yes, I know how to use a search feature. No, I am not asking for anybody to walk me through anything. What I am getting at is, it is nice having some of the good, really helpful threads linked together for people unfamiliar. kthnx.

not a good way for a "totally new" person to get help.. just my .02

Archived