• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS / UPS shipping - am I the only one with real products?

baalwww

I've had to take my store offline. The fact is, in my circumstance, only USPS and UPS make sense for me, and in fact, when you compare the rates it's understandable why most people buying from me want USPS.

BUT

Apparently there are few people out there shipping anything bigger than a USPS box. I can sell a 4-pound box of chocolates, a 4-pound rug, and a 4-pound wicker laundry hamper. They are all stunningly different in size, and as far as the USPS module cares (or doesn't)... they all cost the same to ship. HA!

Is someone working on dimension support?

That aside, I turned on the dimension support for the UPS module. The prices didn't change... they were just as amazingly wrong when I got to UPS.

That aside, I turned on the dimension support for the UPS module. The prices didn't change... they were just as amazingly wrong when I got to UPS.

And that was all you did: turning on dimensional support on the UPSXML module? Never thought about actually entering all the dimensions for your products? That the module does not crash because of your apparent misunderstanding of what it actually takes to do dimensional support does not mean it doesn't work.

And yes, it wouldn't take that much to make other shipping modules use the same dimensional support as UPSXML can use. Everything was set up (in the later versions) to make that possible. But somebody has to do it...

And that was all you did: turning on dimensional support on the UPSXML module? Never thought about actually entering all the dimensions for your products? That the module does not crash because of your apparent misunderstanding of what it actually takes to do dimensional support does not mean it doesn't work.

And yes, it wouldn't take that much to make other shipping modules use the same dimensional support as UPSXML can use. Everything was set up (in the later versions) to make that possible. But somebody has to do it...

Yes, Jan, I did think about it :) and, actually, have had the dimensions in for all 1,500+ of my items for much longer than there's been support for it in the module (I have used the measurements to manually calculate shipping). I haven't had time to delve into the code, but there's a disconnect somewhere. My point was more that it would seem to me that the shipping modules being able to deliver a shipping estimate that is similar to the shipper's should be as fundamental as showing an accurate product price, since most every Web store needs to ship. I wonder if USPS has a module that can be made to work with osc more easily than writing/modifying the barebones one in osc to work with them.

Yes, Jan, I did think about it :) and, actually, have had the dimensions in for all 1,500+ of my items for much longer than there's been support for it in the module (I have used the measurements to manually calculate shipping). I haven't had time to delve into the code, but there's a disconnect somewhere.

Something must go wrong then because it does work. In the UPSXML contribution is support for writing the boxes used to the database so you can see what the module did.

My point was more that it would seem to me that the shipping modules being able to deliver a shipping estimate that is similar to the shipper's should be as fundamental as showing an accurate product price, since most every Web store needs to ship.

Agree.

I wonder if USPS has a module that can be made to work with osc more easily than writing/modifying the barebones one in osc to work with them.

I'm not familiar with the USPS API but I would be surprised if there isn't a more modern one that can handle dimensional support.