• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which merchant account service do you like/use?

sucklebuster

I currently use Paypal and want to add the ability to do a virtual terminal.

- PayPal wants $30 a month + transaction fee to add virtual terminal capabilities.

- Chase Payment Tech (I have a business checking acount at Chase), they want $15 a month + transaction fees.

It got me got thinking...I also pay Chase Bank $10 or $15 a month for my business checking account too. Maybe there is a combined banking/merchant/virtual terminal service out there.

Is there a better deal out there? Perhaps an All-In-One OR lower fees?

What do you use?

PayPal, Nochex & Google Checkout and other offline options

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

i just went over this with my husband setting up his site.. unless you want to pay more out of pocket initially for a secure gateway (about $300+) then you would be best off with paypal.. really. I checked Bank of america's discount rate (the fee per transaction) and their was only .5% lower than paypal, they had all SORTS of other fees, and you needed to buy a gateway.. didnt seem worth it to me.. paypal website payments pro seems to be the best out there for smaller companies. If you get begger and do more sales per month, you might be better off.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Unfortunately this is one of those situations where site owners in the USA are at a disadvantage when compared to other countries. In the UK you'd do better for a Merchant Account tied in with online payments and a virtual terminal - unfortunately not any use for someone based in Texas.

Vger

i totally agree vger.

I have a friend who sells merchant accounts and I spoke with him a lot about this. I gave him ALL of the info from paypal, and he checked it out and said that was hard to compete with, even with a friends and family discount.. it was not worth it for me to go with him.. Paypal is definitely the "go to" for quick, easy, and affordable

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Lindsay - thanks for the input. I have a follow-up comment and question.

I totally agree with you on Paypal - I like my current service. I was planning on leaving my current online transactions with Paypal, then adding a virtual terminal service with Paypal/Chase OR combining everything with one or the other if if it would be cheaper...

Q: I didnt understand (in talking to Chase PaymentTech) that there were any additional fees other than $15 a month + transctaion fees. Where is the $300 coming from? FYI, when I asked Chase, they replied that the merchant account was included in the price of the monthly virtual termminal fee...just trying to understand if I am going to get slammed with some hideen fees at Chase?

Many thanks!

Dan

Paypal is definitely the "go to" for quick, easy, and affordable

In the UK that'd be either Protx or Sec Pay (now called PayPoint) for Merchant integration with virtual terminal, or HSBC Secure ePayments or Barclays ePDQ for offsite payments with a Banks' own merchant account and terminal.

Vger

the $300 is for a separate thing that you need called a secure gateway. It is basically the path the information goes through that does the encryption to and from the website andm erchant account.. some merchants provide one for you at a fee, and others want you to go out and get your own.

There is no need to pay any 300USD fee...

There are plenty of merchant account and payment gateway providers who offer free or very low set-up

Most, if not all, payment processing companies offer a payment gateway if you have a merchant account with them.

All you need than is a osCommerce module to send the payment and a SSL certificate to encrypt the transfer.

Never heard of $300 to pay for a gateway?! The only thing that may result in $300 is the SSL certificate and setup.

Paypal SUCKS .... i wish we NEVER went with them ... their fee's are RIDICULOUS ... we're getting our own payment gateway ... save so much in the long run ... AND you can charge surcharge ... where as with Paypal it's illegal to charge your customer surcharge ... BS!!

Paypal SUCKS .... i wish we NEVER went with them ... their fee's are RIDICULOUS ... we're getting our own payment gateway ... save so much in the long run ... AND you can charge surcharge ... where as with Paypal it's illegal to charge your customer surcharge ... BS!!

Slav, fees stink - I agree.

I had a merchant account and switched to Paypal for the sake of simplicity. I couldnt make any sense of my merchant account statements. Also, it was very hard to predict how much a transaction was going to cost with my merchant account. With Paypal, its simple and easy (and it works!).

I think Paypals Virtual Terminal fees are excessive compared to other alternatives.

WOW.. about 3-4 companies that i called about merchant accounts ALL tried to sell me a gateway for $300 MINIMUM!!!! i will have to figure this out, because i was going to not go the paypal way, but it ended up being cheaper.. sorry if i gave you wrong info..i only told what i knew to be true.. no i have some research to do.

Slav, fees stink - I agree.

I had a merchant account and switched to Paypal for the sake of simplicity. I couldnt make any sense of my merchant account statements. Also, it was very hard to predict how much a transaction was going to cost with my merchant account. With Paypal, its simple and easy (and it works!).

I think Paypals Virtual Terminal fees are excessive compared to other alternatives.

we have had a few sales where we've had to pay $30+ in fees to paypal ... and the crappy thing is we cant do nothing about it - cant charge customer surcharge or anything - with your own payment gateway you can make money off it by charging surcharge - we found a gateway with $0 per transaction fee - you only pay a yearly fee - we'll make that money back + more in no time!!

All i'm saying is BE CAREFUL WITH PAYPAL - yes it does look all good at the start - no fee's till you make a sale, etc ... wait till you start making sales - you'll regret ever going with them!

Slav, did you have paypal pro or standard?? It sounds to me like you were usin paypal standard..

paypal pro is only $20 a month, and there are no per transaction fees, just a discount rate that is actually less than the discount rates of the merchant accounts i looked at.. I just left my account, so i checked it out.. i dont know where the per transaction fee came from, that is something that was only on the standard.

paypal pro is only $20 a month, and there are no per transaction fees, just a discount rate that is actually less than the discount rates of the merchant accounts i looked at.. I just left my account, so i checked it out.. i dont know where the per transaction fee came from, that is something that was only on the standard.

Is this the one your talking about?? Website Payments Pro: Pricing ??

And do take a note of this:

* The $0.30 fixed fee is assessed for each authorization attempt. This includes authorizations and completed transactions.

Ie. anytime someone tries to buy, whether successful or not you will be charged $0.30

we have had a few sales where we've had to pay $30+ in fees to paypal ... and the crappy thing is we cant do nothing about it - cant charge customer surcharge or anything - with your own payment gateway you can make money off it by charging surcharge - we found a gateway with $0 per transaction fee - you only pay a yearly fee - we'll make that money back + more in no time!!

All i'm saying is BE CAREFUL WITH PAYPAL - yes it does look all good at the start - no fee's till you make a sale, etc ... wait till you start making sales - you'll regret ever going with them!

Who did you find?

We started with paypal, paymate and then got commweb. None of these really suit us.

maybe we were grandfathered in because we were using an old account, but really, we are paying $20 a month, not $30 and the transaction fee is a LOT less, but there IS a transaction fee..

About two years ago it was $20 a month.. and thats when we had the account made..

Archived