• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Settings are On 777 Yet Still Getting Warning?

amsgator

Hey,

I changed my permissions to 777 as stated in the quick install guide on this site and I'm still getting the red bar error saying:

I am able to write to the configuration file: This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

I double checked both the configure.php files are set to 777 and I'm still getting the error. Any help?

Try settings in this order until the warning disappears:

Usually FTP doesn't work - use Cpanel.

Be aware that settings less than 644 make the file "read only".

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

I changed my permissions to 777 as stated in the quick install guide on this site

Just so I can be clear where in the quick install guide did it say this? (It will need correcting)

777 is give everybody read, write and execute permissions.

You might notice the difference between the error message and what changing the permissions to 777 will do.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Just so I can be clear where in the quick install guide did it say this? (It will need correcting)

777 is give everybody read, write and execute permissions.

You might notice the difference between the error message and what changing the permissions to 777 will do.

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/I...and_Upgrades/41

Under Pre-Installation Procedures:

Changing file permissions

The permission on the catalog/includes/configure.php file needs to be set to 777 by logging into your root server and running "chmod 777 configure.php".

If you do not have access to the root of your server you can use an ftp program such as www.smartftp.com. When using an ftp program to change the permissions navigate to that specific file, right-click on it, and there will be a chmod (or change attributes) listing which is where the permissions would be changed to 777 for the catalog/includes/configure.php files ... 777 = read/write/execute.

If these permissions are not set correctly you will get an error when installing telling you the permission setting on catalog/includes/configure.php is not set correctly.

The key phrase there is:

Under Pre-Installation Procedures:

After a successful install they will need to be changed.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

There are also two configuration files. One is in /catalog/includes the other is in /catalog/admin/includes. They both need to be set to 777 prior to install and then both set to 644 afterwards.

Yes they don't make it clear in that page that you have to follow the post-installation instructions, but if you follow the pre most people would also follow the post.

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/I...nd_Upgrades/224

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Archived