• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Would Greatly appreciate feedback

After countless days, I finally went live and Im hoping I did a semi decent job on this, one that wont scate people away!

I would love opinions on this and how to improve cause I know there are heaps of stuff I could do to make it better.

JazzyLee Kidz Biz

After countless days, I finally went live and Im hoping I did a semi decent job on this, one that wont scate people away!

I would love opinions on this and how to improve cause I know there are heaps of stuff I could do to make it better.

JazzyLee Kidz Biz

I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but your site takes FOREVER to load for me. It took over 30 seconds for your home page to load (I have a really fast DSL connection). Then I clicked on 'Girls Clothes' and I gave up waiting for it to load.

hmm, you're right about that, sorry for wasting your time:(, but now I know its not just me!

I mailed my webhost to see whats us cause my site loads fast on another server, so thank you again!

Okay, problem fixed..apparently I had to b/u database, create a new database and import the backup.

Eagerly awaiting feedback on site now:)

Still too slow to bother with.

Hiya! Good job getting your shop up :) kudos!

First off, I think that the flowery border should be th background for the left and right columns. The way it looks now, it looks cluttered. If you made the background a bit bigger could solve that. Stuff like privacy policy, shipping and returns, t&c seem to be missing. I suggest that you bring them back, since when you get bigger, they protect you and your company. Good job with the thumbnail contribution. I think that maybe you should distinguish the main categories from the sub-categories, maybe change the bg for the subcategories. For some of your products, the enlarged pictures get cutoff (Tartan Punk Rock Set), maybe make the pictures smaller? Your store is taking a wee bit long to load. You might have to look into that a bit. I think to reduce the pixelation of the smaller thumbnails, either make the pictures bigger, get rid of a column and make your store wider, or use smaller, less pixelated images.

i hope this helps. You have done a really good job so far, you must have put alot of effort into this store. And it shows.

SPACE FOR RENT!

Hiya! Good job getting your shop up :) kudos!

First off, I think that the flowery border should be th background for the left and right columns. The way it looks now, it looks cluttered. If you made the background a bit bigger could solve that. Stuff like privacy policy, shipping and returns, t&c seem to be missing. I suggest that you bring them back, since when you get bigger, they protect you and your company. Good job with the thumbnail contribution. I think that maybe you should distinguish the main categories from the sub-categories, maybe change the bg for the subcategories. For some of your products, the enlarged pictures get cutoff (Tartan Punk Rock Set), maybe make the pictures smaller? Your store is taking a wee bit long to load. You might have to look into that a bit. I think to reduce the pixelation of the smaller thumbnails, either make the pictures bigger, get rid of a column and make your store wider, or use smaller, less pixelated images.

i hope this helps. You have done a really good job so far, you must have put alot of effort into this store. And it shows.

Hello! Thank you for your valuable input!:)

I used a template for the background and modified the heck out of it for the background, so as soon as I figure out the tables I will make it look less cluttered, I don't know how to make the background bigger, so I am stuck with it for the time being, ugh! I will put the shipping, contact, privacy policy back up as soon as I finish them, thank you for pointing that out! The thumbnails I know are odd and cut off the bottom, but I was told this is an oscommerce but, and furthermore was told I should use an addon like lightbox which will be better, now to figure out how to use it, luckly the forums are full of lightbox stuff..lol...and i will resize things too.

Again thank you for your input, it helps alot!:)

If you are looking for a reason as to why the home page is slow, 630kb worth of images and html would be a big part of it. You need to do some serious optimisation of your images as well as installing one of the multiple size image add-ons. As that page is with images and text there is no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't come in at under 100kb, perhaps even 80kb inclusive of images and html.

To give you an idea of what I mean, the image tn_100_1785.jpg is almost 70kb in size, multiply that by the number of product images you have on display (some of them aren't quite as bad) and you add up to a very sizeable page download. The page sort of useable for people with broadband, for those without it is all but inoperable.

Also, your link buttons etc are also too large in respect to filesize. The heade image you are using for "Contact Us" is 16.5kb in size, optimised correctly this should be under 3kb as it's basically a 2 or 3 colour gif and once again you have to multiply this by the number of images used for links etc, see what I'm getting at?

Not to put a downer on what you have done as it sort of looks to be ok, but you need to do something about the file sizes of the images and supporting page furniture before you start looking at anything else.

If you are looking for a reason as to why the home page is slow, 630kb worth of images and html would be a big part of it. You need to do some serious optimisation of your images as well as installing one of the multiple size image add-ons. As that page is with images and text there is no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't come in at under 100kb, perhaps even 80kb inclusive of images and html.

To give you an idea of what I mean, the image tn_100_1785.jpg is almost 70kb in size, multiply that by the number of product images you have on display (some of them aren't quite as bad) and you add up to a very sizeable page download. The page sort of useable for people with broadband, for those without it is all but inoperable.

Also, your link buttons etc are also too large in respect to filesize. The heade image you are using for "Contact Us" is 16.5kb in size, optimised correctly this should be under 3kb as it's basically a 2 or 3 colour gif and once again you have to multiply this by the number of images used for links etc, see what I'm getting at?

Not to put a downer on what you have done as it sort of looks to be ok, but you need to do something about the file sizes of the images and supporting page furniture before you start looking at anything else.

Hey thanks, you have just outlined my problem!..I'll use an image optomizer (photoshop or fireworks should have one?) and as for inventory pics, well my wife has her work cutout for her, she is gonna hate me....lol.

I have a question, what did you mean about supporting furniture if I may ask?

Ben

I have a question, what did you mean about supporting furniture if I may ask?

Ben

Old school graphic design speak for things like headers, footers, navigation etc. 20 years ago when doing layouts for magazines or print ads etc things like the masthead and page numbers etc were known as page furniture - some of us who made the jump to on screen design (and programming for a few of us) still refer to it as such.

... as for inventory pics, well my wife has her work cutout for her, she is gonna hate me....lol.

Ben

Do her a favour and get yourself a copy of something like Irfanview to do it for you http://www.irfanview.com/

Once you know how to use it all you basically have to do is point it at a directory and set up the resize/rename/output directory options, and play with the optimisation level settings then click a button and wait for it to finish. Far less painless than going at it one image at a time. Fireworks also has the ability to do batch processing but the options are a little bit more limited than something like Irfanview. I'm in no way affiliated with them either, it's just a bloody good product and it doesn't cost you a cent however if you do like it and use it often as I do flick them a few dollar donation to both make them happy and to increase your kharma points.

Chabooky,

Thank you for the help and explanations, I am def downloading that program, and they will get a donation from me cause it will be used alot! You have solvbed my slow site load singlehandingly and I thank you again so much for that!! :D

Ben

Archived