• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Install problem with PHP5

laqua

My webhost recently told me to get ready for an upgrade from php4 to php5. To be sure everything runs correctly I ordered a new domain name with a web hotel and I am trying to do a clean install here so I can use this second store as a buffer if the transition does not go smoothley.

Problem:

When uploading the oscommece files to my webserver running PHP 5.2.6 + fastcgi+suphp and MySQL(5.1), I go to www.domainname.com/install

Usually you then get up the picture where you can press "install oscommerce", but now the browser only showes a list of the files on the server.

I tried to write in manually www.domain.com/instal/install.php but it doesn't work.

I am no expert but I guess this is because of PHP5 as an install is unproblematic on my old webserver which runs php4?

I have googled around, also in this forum - and there is obvously a lot of problems with php5, but I have not seen a thread relating to this problem.

Can anyone please help?? I don't have access to do anything on the webserver, as I am only renting space.

:blush:

Initially thought it might be the apache configuration

#

# DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory

# is requested.

#

<IfModule dir_module>

DirectoryIndex index.php index.php4 index.php3 index.cgi index.pl index.html index.htm index.shtml index.phtml

</IfModule>

but when you key in a complete url it doesn't work, so then thought it might be the php configuration

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Language Options ;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Enable the PHP scripting language engine under Apache.

engine = On

What do you mean by "a clean install here"?

Is mysql and apache running on the server?

How do you know "it doesn't work"?

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

...and there is obvously a lot of problems with php5...

NO, not exactly.

the version of osc you try to install and the server you try to install it on are all too important not to mention/look into/investigate.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

basically, osc (2006 update version or later) would continue to work under php5 provided register_globals is On which unfortunately would be Off by default in php5.

there may be some serious problem under php5 but that would depend on your osc shop setup as well as php settings but that would not affect visitors ie visitors wont see the error.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

The error I get is "You don't have permission to access /install/install.php on this server", even though I chmod to 777.

I just downloaded the OsCommerce v.3.0 - but still get the same error.

My webhost told me that register_globals=Off when they run PHP5.

Any suggestions will be helpful!

Got it!

It was a permission error!

If others are stuck with the same problem: Check file permissions.

If you are usin PHP5 the permissions should be set to 755 and not 777. If set to 777 I just get an "access denied" error.

When i chmod'ed the www folder, the install folder, and all the install files (and waited 5 minutes for some reason?!) - everything run perfectly.

WOHO! :D

Archived