• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

admin and catalog? the difference?

norpan

Your online store is just like your local supermarket.

The "admin" is like what goes on "behind the counter" at the supermarket.

Behind the counter you handle the money, control stock, set up prices, add and delete products, and control how the store looks and functions. Your admin does this.

The other side of the counter (the "catalog") is where you wander around the aisles looking at all the products, putting them in your "basket" (the cart), and when you're done you "checkout" and pay for what you bought.

Does that clarify things a bit?

:unsure:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Thanks a lot!

Just to be sure: What does the admin look like? Do you have screenshots of the two?

Thanks!

Your online store is just like your local supermarket.

The "admin" is like what goes on "behind the counter" at the supermarket.

Behind the counter you handle the money, control stock, set up prices, add and delete products, and control how the store looks and functions. Your admin does this.

The other side of the counter (the "catalog") is where you wander around the aisles looking at all the products, putting them in your "basket" (the cart), and when you're done you "checkout" and pay for what you bought.

Does that clarify things a bit?

:unsure:

The catalog side can be customized to look the way you want.

The admin side requires a password to enter (if you don't have that - you NEED that), and usually has "admin" somewhere in the URL used to access it.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

Ok so the Catalog is mywebhost/account/default.asp?

Do you have any good documentations to share?

Thank you so much

The catalog side can be customized to look the way you want.

The admin side requires a password to enter (if you don't have that - you NEED that), and usually has "admin" somewhere in the URL used to access it.

I'm completely new in this

Could someone help e undersatnd the difference between the admin part and the catalog part?

Perhaps teher is some good explanatin with images somewhere?

To take Jim's excellent example a step farther, like most supermarkets, the area behind the counter is for employees only. To make your admin for employees only, it has to be password protected. Not all versions of oscommerce have that built in. So if you can go right into your admin without loging in, that needs to be fixed right away else you give all customers access to your cash.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Probably not. It usually something like mywebhost/account/catalog/index.php (on the server).

Not really.

:blush:

If this is your first venture into the world of websites, servers, UNIX, and e-commerce, it's a steep learning curve.

:blink:

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

So its only in the admin part that you work?

Thanks

That depends entirely on what you are doing.

eg, testing is done in the catalog

eg, adding zones, installing modules is done in admin.

eg, installing contributions can be working in admin, catalog, or both. But, that is working on the files only.

No, your catalog would be = www.YourWebAddress.com/catalog/index.php by default or you can change it to - www.YourWebAddress.com/index.php.

This is a good place to start, it's from the menu above. Solutions > Documentation

http://www.oscommerce.info/docs/english/ta...f_contents.html

Hope that helps a little. ;)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Archived