also is there a way to help keep from getting hacked thisis not the frist time

and I like the OSC program

My site got hacked so I am doing a new install

can I use the database from old install so I don't have to

reinstall the over 3000 items I offer

or will it cause a problem

also is there a way to help keep from getting hacked thisis not the frist time

and I like the OSC program

sure, you can do a backup of your database and use that for a restore after you reinstall. however, if the hacker put things in the database this could open yourself up for problems and getting hacked again. i'd be careful about it and look at the data to make sure there aren't any new admins or anything.

as far as prevention goes, you need to do your homework. there are a number of contributions that can help as well as just basic set up. search the forums for 'permissions' and 'hack' and you should find lots to work with. search the contributions for 'security'. that should get you the major things. without knowing more about the nature of how you got hacked no one would be able to give you specific advice.

sure, you can do a backup of your database and use that for a restore after you reinstall. however, if the hacker put things in the database this could open yourself up for problems and getting hacked again. i'd be careful about it and look at the data to make sure there aren't any new admins or anything.

as far as prevention goes, you need to do your homework. there are a number of contributions that can help as well as just basic set up. search the forums for 'permissions' and 'hack' and you should find lots to work with. search the contributions for 'security'. that should get you the major things. without knowing more about the nature of how you got hacked no one would be able to give you specific advice.

Thanks for the reply

The hack took place in the forum of hotlinking

sorry for not bein more to the point at the time of the post I was not to happy

Thanks

Ben

The hack took place in the forum of hotlinking

sorry for not bein more to the point at the time of the post I was not to happy

not a problem. i'd be upset too, if my site were hacked.

but hotlinking isn't really hacked. i don't need access to your site to use your images and it's not really damaging your site. it's only stealing your bandwidth. worse, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. you can use watermarks to try to deter others from using your images but it is still possible for them to use them. you can also just start changing the image names, although that'll be tedious with 3000 products.

not a problem. i'd be upset too, if my site were hacked.

but hotlinking isn't really hacked. i don't need access to your site to use your images and it's not really damaging your site. it's only stealing your bandwidth. worse, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. you can use watermarks to try to deter others from using your images but it is still possible for them to use them. you can also just start changing the image names, although that'll be tedious with 3000 products.

Thanks for getting back to me

If I may Would stopping the right clcik help with stopping of hotlinking ?

and if so do you know a add-on for OSC for that ?

are you in the USA if so do you know of a good host I have been through 3 in the last mo.

just thught I would ask the last ? I am getting tomy whits end

Thanks Again

Ben

I recommend use easy populate for export and then import to the new data base.

For future a better choice is to always have some backup.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

If I may Would stopping the right clcik help with stopping of hotlinking ?

and if so do you know a add-on for OSC for that ?

are you in the USA if so do you know of a good host I have been through 3 in the last mo.

just thught I would ask the last ? I am getting tomy whits end

preventing the right-click does not prevent hotlinking. the only thing that it does is annoy users. i hate it, since i often use right clicks to open new windows or tabs in my browser and it drives me nuts when i get the "disabled" message. (but that's just me... :) ) it doesn't work because it only blocks it on your site. it doesn't change the site that's hotlinking to you and you can always view the source of your site using the view menu in the browser.

happily, i stand corrected regarding my 'not much you can do about it statement.' bryce provided a link to an article about hotlinking. if you want to venture into working with .htaccess you should check that out. it looks pretty good.

i am in the us, but i can't really recommend a host for you. (against forum policy...) besides, a host that works well for me may not work well for you. i don't need much support whereas you might need more. i'm sure there are other forums and discussion groups that cover hosting. but unfortunately, it's a lot of trial and error.

Archived