• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

big picture view

ellenwyo

Hi All, I'm brand new to this forum, the osCommerce way and shopping carts in general, but not to web design and site building. I need a big picture overview of how I would use osCommerce to add shopping functionality to a website that has already been built and being hosted by a small town newspaper. The customer wants to use Paypal as the payment gateway.

Would I download and install the osCommerce software on the customer's PC, or on my PC? Or would it have to run on the host's servers?

Any help would be appreciated..

Ellen Davis

Hi All, I'm brand new to this forum, the osCommerce way and shopping carts in general, but not to web design and site building. I need a big picture overview of how I would use osCommerce to add shopping functionality to a website that has already been built and being hosted by a small town newspaper. The customer wants to use Paypal as the payment gateway.

Would I download and install the osCommerce software on the customer's PC, or on my PC? Or would it have to run on the host's servers?

install osc onto the host's servers....just like your other web sites.

basically speaking, if you want it available on the internet, it has to reside on the internet. so unless you set up your own, or your customer's pc so that it is available on the internet with a web server, oscommerce should be installed on the host.

you can install a "mirrored" copy of osc on your own machine and make/test changes locally so you don't end up disabling a live shop when you make mistakes. if you want to do this, check out "xampp" and install that.

Okay thanks very much

install osc onto the host's servers....just like your other web sites.

basically speaking, if you want it available on the internet, it has to reside on the internet. so unless you set up your own, or your customer's pc so that it is available on the internet with a web server, oscommerce should be installed on the host.

you can install a "mirrored" copy of osc on your own machine and make/test changes locally so you don't end up disabling a live shop when you make mistakes. if you want to do this, check out "xampp" and install that.

Archived