• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Create Something Like this...

cg180659

I want to create something like this in my products description. I don't want to have to be editing and copy+pasting HTML to create the tables. Is there an easier way to do this.

An infinate amount of attributes for an infinate amount of phones...

I doubt very much that product attributes will be able to help since I want to DISPLAY what each phone has, instead of making them selectable for the user. I really need help on this so that I can finally launch my site.

Thanks

SPACE FOR RENT!

The best way to do it would be to add all of those fields to the database and then build the display on the products page. But that would be a big job. The alternative is to create the table in html and add it to the product description. The downside with that is that it would take a long time to set up the html for each product.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

IMHO the database & product info would be the best way to go, you only have to to it the once, then it is just a case of adding to the fields.

Would recommend code to stop the particular field from showing if the field is not used.

Nic

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

@ Jack_mcs + FIMBLE

thanks for replying! YIKES! lol... I'm really not into databases, so I understood what you said, but I think that it might take me longer to do that

I was kinda thinking about using a contribution, even if I don't have it in the same format as what I had originally hoped for. Do you guys have any suggestions as to which contribution I should use for this? I kinda have a general idea of the aspects of the phone that reoccur. But with a contib such as Products Attributes for example, would I be able to enter in the attributes manually, as in without having it from a drop down box?

I really appreciate the replys! I'm learning more and more each day!!

SPACE FOR RENT!

Take a look at these, they might get you close:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=0#entry1254720

QTpro v1.0 - http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/888

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Take a look at these, they might get you close:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=0#entry1254720

QTpro v1.0 - http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/888

WOW! Thanks for looking that up for me! unfortunately, that is not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that would just display the specifications, not make them as a separate product.

I really appreciate your effort though!

SPACE FOR RENT!

look for attribute sets and static attributes, I think a combination of these will get you going.

attribute sets allows you to group attributes together making data entry easier

static attributes lists attributes as static values, so no dropdown options at the catalog side.

Another option is to look for product extra fields or category fields contributions.

I believe these add free text fields, while the attribute based contributions work better with lists of values to select from.

Hope this helps

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

• 2 weeks later...
look for attribute sets and static attributes, I think a combination of these will get you going.

attribute sets allows you to group attributes together making data entry easier

static attributes lists attributes as static values, so no dropdown options at the catalog side.

Another option is to look for product extra fields or category fields contributions.

I believe these add free text fields, while the attribute based contributions work better with lists of values to select from.

Hope this helps

thanks for reply! the only thing that i am weary about is what the end result would look like. i know what i want, i know what could help me, but i don't know what the end result will look like.

SPACE FOR RENT!

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for reply! the only thing that i am weary about is what the end result would look like. i know what i want, i know what could help me, but i don't know what the end result will look like.

Back to this, I've tried the following but to no avail

- PEF: messed up my layout and wasn;t where I wanted it

- Attribute Sets PLus: not what I was looking for

Does anyone how how I can do this please?!

SPACE FOR RENT!

IMHO the database & product info would be the best way to go, you only have to to it the once, then it is just a case of adding to the fields.

Would recommend code to stop the particular field from showing if the field is not used.

Nic

yeah, I'm probably going to have to go with this. Could you help me in this someway please? To my understanding I would be entering a table inside the products description textbox that is static with fields that could be required or not. And I'm doing this through the database so that once I'm done with the database, evertime I want to add specifics about a product in the table format, I just type it in.

Correct?

Wow, how would I do that please? I'd really appreciate it if you replied since PMing you will cost me :blink: (jokes, jokes, jokes)

SPACE FOR RENT!

• 2 weeks later...
Well we could work on it and release it as a contribution, since so many people are asking.

Did start work on it a while back so i have a bit ready to go.

The footnote is to keep the Vampires away!

lol @ the vampires! Well it is a really good idea. I know that esp. for people who want to start selling cellphones and accessories for them that this table is a GREAT help. What I'm doing right now is finding out what makes PEF work from the DB, and seeing how to incorporate that into a table format.

SPACE FOR RENT!

The standard product attributes would work, but with a small code change to not allow the user to select anything. Then you would rip out the attributes display code in other pages (eg in your admin, in the customer order history and so on). Not an awful lot of work to be fair.

Archived