• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please help my site show on google

paulieGB

Hello,

My site is - http://www.foxycards.co.uk

I started my site in april and am having real trouble getting it on google seach engine,

I do have ultimate seo, header tags and google sitemap, i am also registered in a few directories.

I have tryed lots of different keywords, but just cant get on the google seach engine when i type in my keywords.

I am now on page 2 of yahoo for my new keywords which are - handmade greeting cards, so im very happy with that but i do want to get on google, i havent sold a thing yet since my site has opened and i am not getting many hits either, i dont think any of the people visiting my site are actual customers interested in buying cards.

I thought ofter this long my site would be up and running and selling.

Any help ?

Cheers,

Paul.

Your page titles are bad.

Where's your links page?

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Your titles are a little short, should be different on every page, upto 80chars ish

Descriptions short too, 50 - 200 chars again should be different on every page.

If you ask google will give errors for these, and duplicates (title/description)

Google ranks you on links, 200 inbound ish = PR3, so you must get links in, but sites wont link to you if you don't reciprocate. There are contribs.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

thanks Sam,

I have added more text to the title and description for my main page index.php.

I can change the title and descriptioon for product_info.php, but not sure how make the title and description different for each page,

or is that what you meant - just change the title and descriptions in product_info.php ?

But that would mean all the titles and descriptions would be the same for all my products.

Hi, Sam

What do you mean by -

'Google ranks you on links, 200 inbound ish = PR3, so you must get links in, but sites wont link to you if you don't reciprocate. There are contribs. '

How do i get links ? from where ? and what contribs should i download ?

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi, Sam

What do you mean by -

'Google ranks you on links, 200 inbound ish = PR3, so you must get links in, but sites wont link to you if you don't reciprocate. There are contribs. '

How do i get links ? from where ? and what contribs should i download ?

Cheers,

Paul.

Google ranks you on the number & quality of inbound links, once you get over 200 page rank =3 300 + = PR4

You get extra merits for a PR10 inbound, but de-merit for PR0 (link farms etc)

Find like sites and ask to exchange links.

I`ve used LinksManager_II, it has many bugs mind. I`ve fixed most I found, I`ll update contrib one day.

Google don't like:

Short title or description

Long title or description

Duplicate title or description

And will say so.

Keywords tag must match content (same for title / description ) I would go up to 300 chars, no duplicates. Put most important keywords first, in all cases.

Some will tell you meta-tags don't matter anymore, don't believe them, I`ve taken a site from nowhere to page one just by setting them properly.

;)

Sam

Contributions:

say i sell 200 items all the same thing but a different design.

how can you have a different description for each one...you can only change so much about 1 item?

also what do you mean by title?

where is that...on the index page?

the first paragraph of the index page ( home page)?

im just trying to figure how this all works...but some of the terminology doesnt make sense to me as a newbie,sorry.

How many keywords should i have by the way ?

Paul.

No difference, as google index different way - index the content of pages H1 and H2 headers are more important to Google than keywords.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

how can you have a different description for each one...you can only change so much about 1 item?

im just trying to figure how this all works...but some of the terminology doesnt make sense to me as a newbie,sorry.

also does having your wesite link in your sig on forums help with search engines at all?

Google exact methods are a secret unto themselves, no-one can say exactly what they are. You can only see what works & what they dont like.

Its no good complaining you cant work to the rules, it wont get you anywhere.

NB sound like you need to learn the basics. http://www.w3schools.com/html/DEFAULT.asp

Sam

Contributions:

No difference, as google index different way - index the content of pages H1 and H2 headers are more important to Google than keywords.

Hi,

Could you please explain what you mean by this,

Whats H1 H2 headers ?

cheers,

Paul

Google ranks you on the number & quality of inbound links, once you get over 200 page rank =3 300 + = PR4

To clarify for those unintiated, the rank being referred to is googles Page Rank, not the more important index position.

I`ve used LinksManager_II, it has many bugs mind. I`ve fixed most I found, I`ll update contrib one day.
I'm not aware of any bugs. Please list them so they can be taken care of.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

thanks Sam,

I have added more text to the title and description for my main page index.php.

I can change the title and descriptioon for product_info.php, but not sure how make the title and description different for each page,

or is that what you meant - just change the title and descriptions in product_info.php ?

But that would mean all the titles and descriptions would be the same for all my products.

You need to install a meta tags contribution. I recommend Header Tags SEO but there are others.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

How many keywords should i have by the way ?

Paul.

The number of keywords is generally determined by the text on the page. if the keywords are not mentioned in that text, they are pretty much useless. Because of that, any more than about three keywords is too much since there would be too much text on the page otherwise. And too much text is bad for your customers - it bores them.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Google exact methods are a secret unto themselves, no-one can say exactly what they are. You can only see what works & what they dont like.

Its no good complaining you cant work to the rules, it wont get you anywhere.

NB sound like you need to learn the basics. http://www.w3schools.com/html/DEFAULT.asp

not complaining at all...just asking questions.

Ok im still not showing on google.

I have lengthened the title and description, and the title and description in product_info.php

and have also added my keywords to categories

and my keywords in product_info.php

i am using the keywords - handmade greeting cards

i am showing on yahoo for 'handmade greeting cards' 13th down the list. so second page.

i am not showing on google at all, unless you type the name of my site in which is - foxycards.

i did some reseach on keywords

and the keywords - 'greeting cards' is very very popular, so thats no good

- 'Handmade greeting cards' has about 105 hits per day, and like i said that is'nt working for me

- 'greeting cards handmade' only has about 5 hits per day, so i guess that means i will show up near the top for those keywords,

but i really cant imagine anyone typing in - 'greeting cards handmade' when doing a seach, so i think its pointless trying that.

So i still need some help please - my site is pointless at the moment , no one even knows it exists.

Cheers,

Paul.

It's on Google now:

Click Me

This is Google's cache of http://www.foxycards.co.uk/. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 29 Jul 2008 22:10:40 GMT.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Results are never instant, wait at least a month to check for listing changes.

If you search 'handmade greeting cards foxy' you see your google still using old data

Sam

Contributions:

Thanks for the replys.

I have just gone into google webmaster tools and when i go into crawl stats-

The pagerank of your pages in google - is very low, and does't even show on medium or high.

And also when i go into sitemaps overview i have warnings for sitemapcategories

details =

- Some URLs in the Sitemap have a high response time.

Some URLs listed in this Sitemap have a high response time. This may indicate a problem with your server or with the content of the page. URL:

Found: http://www.foxycards.co.uk/index.php?cName...birthday-female

Aug 8, 2008

and in content analysis it says-

Duplicate meta descriptions - 4

short maeta descriptions - 5

Duplicate title tags - 4

Do i need to worry about this ?

what should i do ?

i have no idea

Paul.

As I said it takes time for google to update its data centers, wait a month, then see if it still sees error, but do make sure there are none for it to find.

Also see this: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...c=308053&hl=

Sam

Contributions:

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely correct the issues in the content analysis. Google is trying to identify unique, relevant content for its users, so by using the same title, meta description, and so on for multiple pages, you're telling them that those pages are useless to them.

Archived