• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Redesign to increase usability - ipodxtras.com

mijman2

Hello all,

I have been running my oscommerce site for 4 years now. I am on the 2.3 version of my site (this update being the 0.3). I have put in many hours tweaking and modifying and now I am looking for some honest feedback...

The current design is here: www.ipodxtras.com

The redesign is here: staging.ipodxtras.com

I have attempted to make the site more readable by increasing font sizes and using more spacing.

The product page, login page, and create account pages are completely new.

I am really interested on how simple, understandable and usable the redesign is.

Thanks a bunch!

Stephen

i have to say, the shop by item type (the pictures at the top that move) is REALLY neat looking, but since i have an iphone 2G, i thought i would click on that to see what you have.. well it was a PAIN IN THE BUTT to get the iphone 2G to stay put!! all the others were fine, but that one made me mad.. having an alternate text category box with the model name would be good.. Plus, that little graphic didnt immediately stand out to me as a navigation bar. even though it says SHOP FOR.

an option to SHOW ALL products

instead of two pages

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hi Lindsayanng,

Thank you for your feedback. I have increased the width of the image so I believe that should have solved the problem with the PITA dock image for the iPhone (original).

With more regards to the dock what do you (or anyone for that matter) think of the following (a screen shot)?

http://screencast.com/t/hUSdRjKs

The show all products link is in the left side bar. Do you think there is a better place for it? What does your last comment mean?

Again thank you for your feedback it is very much appreciated.

ahh you never got my post!! I responded to your question, but i was put into moderator review so no one was getting ANY post i made..

ANYWAYS.. i DO REALLY like the idea of moving the dock up. I really like the look of it, so i definitely thing that it could be the center focus of your site and you wont loose anything.. it is ver "mac"

my last comment got a little cut off..

I meant to say that when i am looking at your PRODUCT LISTING, it would be really nice to be able to VIEW ALL instead of only being able to show 25 per page.. but you NEED to option, not make it ALWAYS show all, because people with slow internet connections will get frustrated. Spooks just uploaded a contribution called Prodcut Listing Thumnail Enhancements.. and he is working on a code to show all AND then the customer can choose to sort from low-high, high-low, ect.. VERY NEAT. i havent downloaded it for myself yet, but i will be.

Oh yea, did i say that the reason i came back to this thread is becaiuse i am in DESPERATE need of an accessory for my iphone that i can not find anywhere.. i wanted to check out your site (if it is live.)

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Ok! Well, I pushed what I had done so far live to the www.ipodxtras.com!

I agree with you about paging - its something I've meant to get to, but just haven't got around to it. I am going to experiment with the iPod dock as well for the next iterations. I was not able to find the contribution you mentioned - would you mind posting a link to it?

What are you after for your iPhone - I can see what I can do in terms of getting accessories you would be interested in.

i just installed the contribution that will allow customers to view all and sort by price. its really an AWESOME contribution and REALLY easy to install, but since you have a heavily modified site, you might want to just take what you want fromt he contribution..

but here it is, i am VERY happy with it

Product Listing Enhancements, thumnails, manufacturers.

Its a great contribution and no bugs that i have found (my sites in my profile)

As far as what i am looking for. I am in DESPERATE need of an all in one deal for my iphone 2G. I would like a holder w/charger and FM transmitter and bluetooth if available.. I found one called the iluv i730 which is perfect.. My main issue is that ALL of the cheaper ones have the goose neck that come right out of the plug, and that WILL NOT work for my car because my stupid outlet is 2 inches to the right of my ignition key hole and BEHIND my wind sheild wiper lever, so anything more than a plug with a cable will NOT fit..

Any suggestions aside from that one>?

I tried to look -- IE 6.0 -- kept crashing my browser, everything come up fine then when I scroll IE dies.

I suggest you to read: call to action, written by Eisenberg brothers. It's an helpful book that makes you ask yourself a lot of question about your website.

I love oscommerce and OS software! I'm not a programmer, I'm only a learning boy and a translator :) I love full contribution packages!

@lindsayanng

I am not sure which ones will work with the placement of your outlet, but here is what I would suggest:

http://www.ipodxtras.com/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=291 - TuneBase FM with Clear Scan from Belkin from Belkin://http://www.ipodxtras.com/product_in...kin from Belkin

http://www.ipodxtras.com/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=311 - iTrip Auto with ClearScan with ClearScan://http://www.ipodxtras.com/product_in... with ClearScan This one won't take up too much space outside the outlet, so it may be what you are looking for.

I have started to implement paging on the staging server! thanks for the contribution.

@patarini

Thank you so much for catching that! My IE 6 PNG transparency hack was apparently breaking IE6. I believe it is fixed on both the staging and live server (live has no fix for PNG on IE6), and the staging has a new PNG hack.

Would you please test the sites again - I really want to make sure the are cross browser compatible.

@luckyno

Ill have to take a look at the book, thanks! As you have probably read it, do you have any feedback on the current state of my website? I would appreciate any feedback!

Again, thanks everyone for all your help.

Working fine for me now, like the colors. tried mozilla firefox on 800 by 600 resolution and got this message

Warning: require(includes/application_top.php) [function.require0]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mijman2/public_html/staging/sitemap.php on line 13

Fatal error: require() [function.require0]: Failed opening required 'includes/application_top.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /home/mijman2/public_html/staging/sitemap.php on line 13

had it open in IE at the same time. Second time it worked, I did a cut n paste of http://www.staging.ipodxtras.com/sitemap.php into firefox to get that error. Was wanting to see how it resized.

Archived