• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need a nice template for ink cartridge company.

Acknowledeged74

Hi

I've been looking at all the template sites but everyone seems to have products with small pic/details and buy now button.

I need something more along the lines of

http://www.inkcycle.co.uk/default.php?cPat...llhfblgg1vbshm6

where the home page has the product displayed as per my general description, but when you enter a manufacturers are say they are listing in subcategories in the main body (as per example), before you get to the specific details with small pic again.

the key is having a graphic layout like you general don't get with Cartridge shops but with the product layout.

Can I do this with any template, or am I resigned to working with crappy plain layouts like the default templates?

Hopefully that makes sense, it just a case of how products are listed, the following is an example example of the standard product layouts:

http://osc.template-help.com/9005/index.php?cPath=21

Any Advice would be appreciated I am really struggling with this.

Thanks

Ashley

Furry Familya wise guy once told me DO NOT USE TEMPLATES, THEY WILL ONLY CAUSE YOU HEADACHES.

I took this guys advice, and i am REALLY happy that i did.

When i started i had NO CONCEPT of what php was or even what server side meant. That was about 7 months ago> Since then, i have been able to make LOTS of changes to the look AND functionality of my site, and i did not EVER had to resport to the crappy customer service from a template provider.

See, when you purchase a template, the code is SOO changed, that when you come here looking for help, NO ONE can help you because YOU wouldnt even know what changes were made, only the template company.

So its a LOT better to start off with teh standard. You CAN do a lot with it.

my site is FAR from done, but if you want to take a look at a work in progress, feel free to visit. I have the products listed the way you would want them by using a contribution from SPOOKS, and i have images for my box headers, like in that template, i centered my store..THERE IS A LOT YOU CAN DO and a lot of the work is done for you through contributions!!!!

here is my site if you want to take a look

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Amen to that Lindsay, Templates are mostly pathetic at best, they look nice, but the code is messed up AND more importantly the SSL does not usually work.

Saying that I do like them as I get lots of work sorting them out :-)

Its more worthwhile doing it yourself and you also then know your store

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Sorry for the slight hijack, but it's relevant. Fimble & Lindsay, do you include OSC addon templates in your "don't use" statement?

No there is one main provider who i will not name, that sell lovely looking templates that are mostly oscommerce 2.2ms and mostly dont work properly.

I would imagine that the people who add templates here do so using the correct methods and code, therefore i would assume they are fine to use.

The templates on "that site" do work (base function) and they are nice, however if you wanted to add a contribution, you would find it difficult to do so as the code is not where it should be.

There are a lot of providers of templates out there and i would say that a lot of them are fine, just from this one place the forum is full of questions about them and how to set them up properly!

Did not mean to imply that the ones here are faulty!

I would say this was one of the best places to get one.

If you are looking for one then ask the provider if the code has been significantly modified before buying

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Some template makers use pure oscommerce code standards to create templates - so saying all templates are a "bad thing" is not strictly true. However, in 99% of cases, and 100% of cases from 1 large supplier of oscommerce templates, the code sucks.

It's best to create your own if you can, or use a pre-made HTML template (note the disctinction between a pre-made HTML template and a pre-made oscommerce template). Some of the pre-made HTML templates along with STS (or not STS) would go a long way to getting yourself a good look AND learning a bit about osCommerce as well.

Thanks for the replies.. I've used one of the themes from here as a basis for my site, and it works really well, I'm very happy with it... and I've also added lots of addons as well.. I've learnt a bit about PHP along the way, which has helped... I'm now starting to learn CSS & PHP from scratch, so I can modify and create templates etc :)

Archived