• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Emptying the cart between sessions

stevemills

A customer is reporting that his cart is empty 3-4 days after visiting. I've not experimented to see how long a cart stays stored, but is this typical? What controls the length of a stored session?

Perhaps his IP changed between visits, are you using cookies?

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Yes, I use cookies. I've had almost 100 orders now, and never heard of this before. I know others have stored their shopping cart and come back to pick it up on a later session.

There are contribs out there which do all kinds of things to the shopping cart, and I'm a bit leery about trying any of them. I think a simple session length control is all I am looking for, so I can tell him what to expect.

If you are using Force Cookie Use then it's probably down to a problem with his PC. Something is causing his Cookies folder to be emptied every few days or so.

Vger

If you are using Force Cookie Use then it's probably down to a problem with his PC. Something is causing his Cookies folder to be emptied every few days or so.

Vger

That's what I was thinking, that it's all up to the session cookie. So his cart should still exist until he deletes it while logged in?

I wanted to ask that last question again....... Is there anything that would have emptied his shopping cart, other than his own actions?

He thinks there is a bug, and said he's seen this happen twice. I've never heard such a report from anyone else.

I wanted to ask that last question again....... Is there anything that would have emptied his shopping cart, other than his own actions?

He thinks there is a bug, and said he's seen this happen twice. I've never heard such a report from anyone else.

Tell the idiot to put it back in his cart .. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY .. buy the bleddy thing!!

there's always a "one off" winger .. I just ignore them.

The best way to avoid this "Mr Customer" is to ACTUALLY BUY SOMETHING!!" I'm sure it goes against your finer instincts but I can assure you that it will cure your cart problem :D

Sorry for the double post I wrote the first one and it hung so I thought it hadn't posted so i went back and reposted .. aaah well .. two opinions :)

This is actually one of my better customers, his previous orders were well above the average. I'm unable to explain to him what could have gone wrong, if he didn't just empty the cart on his own.

Archived