• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

After 6 years, ModYourCar.com has been relaunched!

MYC267

Hi all... after 6 years in business we have just released our new web site! It is an OSC based shop (initially) but it has been overhauled and customised to the extreme...

I am happy to answer any questions or pass on some ideas etc...

Check it out at ModYourCar.com

If you are interested have a read of my opening article on our Word on the Street section at http://www.modyourcar.com.au/welcome-to-th...-wots24?aff=osc

Dan

Nice layout. Good work.

Some suggestions from moi...

1. The bottom right content box has no top graphic in IE6 (not checked in other browsers).

2. Your reviews images (when you're in product info) has a squashed/distored image. You'll need to set this either in admin or in your template (depending on how you control shifts). Same on specials.

3. Your Browse Products column is very long. I love the icons, but it might be better to have a smaller list (maybe 6/7 catergories) and a "more..." option to increase the column length.

4. On signup, the last combobox doesn't appear to be linked to the model of car - so you have a long list of engines to select from. Is this correct? Also, my car isn't in the list - Porsche Boxster

5. On signup, you ask for a lot of info without SSL. Do you need all of this? If so, get yourself SSL.

Other than that, it's a great site. Nice contributions in SEO headers and URLs, lightbox and the rewards.

Really nice work.

Nice layout. Good work.

Some suggestions from moi...

1. The bottom right content box has no top graphic in IE6 (not checked in other browsers).

2. Your reviews images (when you're in product info) has a squashed/distored image. You'll need to set this either in admin or in your template (depending on how you control shifts). Same on specials.

3. Your Browse Products column is very long. I love the icons, but it might be better to have a smaller list (maybe 6/7 catergories) and a "more..." option to increase the column length.

4. On signup, the last combobox doesn't appear to be linked to the model of car - so you have a long list of engines to select from. Is this correct? Also, my car isn't in the list - Porsche Boxster

5. On signup, you ask for a lot of info without SSL. Do you need all of this? If so, get yourself SSL.

Other than that, it's a great site. Nice contributions in SEO headers and URLs, lightbox and the rewards.

Really nice work.

Cheers. Replies.

1) Which box are you referring to and which image? The site was tested in IE and FF and that wasnt picked up. You sure you waited for the site to load properly? A lot of the images are CSS driven.

2) Again, not sure which image you are referring to. You referring to product images?

3) Yes it is long but we do offer a lot of products in a lot of categories and I dont want products buried. Our site has had a long list of top categories for a long time and its never been an issue with our customers.

4) Select your car make then your car models will appear. We dont sell Porcshe Boxter products hence why the Porshe isnt on there... historically we only add card we have specific products for.

5) The SSL is being organised, we had it but we had some server changes so had to wait until it was finalised.

Af far as contributions went it was completely custom built, I didn't actually use any contributions from the ones available here.... in particular the changes you have mentioned.

Dan

1) Which box are you referring to and which image? The site was tested in IE and FF and that wasnt picked up. You sure you waited for the site to load properly? A lot of the images are CSS driven.

A: I'm was looking on IE6 - but it seems to be fixed.

The red header image was missing from teh right box. Now it seems that the box order has changed, so I assume you're playing with it. :-)

2) Again, not sure which image you are referring to. You referring to product images?

A: If you go into a product (any product), then look at your left column, you'll see Reviews box. This image is squished. Same for the Specials box.

3) Yes it is long but we do offer a lot of products in a lot of categories and I dont want products buried. Our site has had a long list of top categories for a long time and its never been an issue with our customers.

A: Fair enough - T'was only a suggestion :-)

4) Select your car make then your car models will appear. We dont sell Porcshe Boxter products hence why the Porshe isnt on there... historically we only add card we have specific products for.

A: Righto. The other issue was the last combo (Engine) is not restricted by the previous dropdown (unlike model is by make).

Is this intentional?

5) The SSL is being organised, we had it but we had some server changes so had to wait until it was finalised.

A: Great.

Af far as contributions went it was completely custom built, I didn't actually use any contributions from the ones available here.... in particular the changes you have mentioned.

A: Your images definately use a lightbox contribution. Maybe not from here - but it is lightbox nonetheless. :-)

Also, your URLs aren't the standard, dynamic php IDs that osC uses. You've got some addon to rewrite the urls.

This is also available here.

Like I said before, it's clear that a great deal of work has gone into the site - and it looks fantastic.

Well done

Generally very nice.

I'm a bit confused as to why you would use XHTML 1.0 strict as a DOCTYPE then run the main page with 131 errors.

Generally very nice.

I'm a bit confused as to why you would use XHTML 1.0 strict as a DOCTYPE then run the main page with 131 errors.

Good spot!

Also, from an SEO point of view, your title has too many words.

I know that the purpose is to ensure that people searching for a particular word find it in your site title.

However, the more words you have the less "weight" your individual title words have (keyword density).

DataMouse yes I used LightBox but what I meant was I coded it in myself I didn't use a contribution from this community. I never got an "addon" to rewrite the URLs I did that all myself.

FWR Media I will look into the DOCTYPE and sort out, thanks for that.

In terms of TITLE tags, I didn't change the majority of them in this new release of our ite because our rankings are very good and we get a lot of Google traffic - I didn't want to make too many changes too quickly.

DataMouse yes the engine list is not based on car make... simply because in the modifying game people put different engines in different cars etc and out search facility allows you to mix it up and use combos. For example you could say you have a Toyota Corolla with a 13B (Mazda) engine which is a common thing to do.

Dan

Cheers. There was no contribution for the car search feature (which I presume you are referring to). The feature was added by myself using my own design.

Basically you assign each product to a group of cars/engines and add that extra search criteria to the advanced search.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I hope that you don't mind my belated post - it's not very clear at this point that you use osCommerce because your site is so well developed. But, a lot of the osC stuff, like reviews, testimonials, newsletter, etc. is still there. It's just there on steroids. Your site is really great in lots of ways - it seems like you get a lot of traffic; from your comments, it seems like you sell a lot of stuff; it looks really great (I think the girls may be over-done, but for gear-heads, it is probably a good match (90 percent of your visitors are male); and, gives me the impression that you guys rock and that I should do business with you.

And, you're right about the professional designer deal - most of the sites that are posted here haven't been introduced to design. And good design makes an enormous difference. There are a couple of problems with applying the principle - it's tough to spend money (and good design can be expensive) when you aren't making any. And, you either need to find a designer who knows how to code with php or you need to do it yourself. Neither option is easy (I am trying to code an add on for my site and it's a killer - a lot of credit should be given to people who develop and maintain the contributions for osC - it's definitely a head-banging experience for me).

There are two things that, in my opinion, may be issues:

One, the width. It seems like it is pushing 1200 pixels wide. I do all of my work on my notebook that is 1440 wide, and my site looks tiny because I get nice, small text on my notebook screen. But, when I view my site on older displays (which I'll bet a lot of gear-heads have) it looks in my face big. My site is only 950 pixels wide and it totally overfills the screen on a 1024 x 768 CRT - it just looks big. And, with your 1150+ pixel width, someone with a screen that size would be busy scrolling both up and down and side to side to see the site.

Two, the paid ads that you are selling. In the states, movies that we pay for have advertisements that play before the movie - it just totally bugs me - I've paid to see this movie and I have to be subjected to ads. I don't want to pay to see advertisements. I think that the same thing applies to e-commerce web sites - people who buy from your site probably don't want to be subjected to ads. I don't know any big sites (and yours is pretty big) that do advertising along with their selling. I just don't think that it's a good idea and may end up taking away from the appeal of the site.

You seem to be so thorough that I'm sure that you've thought this stuff through. But, I thought that I should still provide my opinion.

Thank you for sharing your site.

Tony

Tony thanks so much for taking the time to actually comment... you've obviously had a good look at the site as well.

You are right it's a monster site and doesn't resemble OSC much... those things you mentioned are on any e-commerce site, not just OSC. In saying that it's not much of an OSC site anymore but it started as one.

A few things:

1) Girls and cars go together... that's life!

2) Designing your site is an investment. People should invest in their business and spend the money! You can't expect returns without investing something.

3) The width is actually perfect for my audience and as screens are getting bigger and higher res it's positioned quite well. I do understand what you are saying but only a small portion of visitors are affected.

4) The advertising opportunities are really only for content based areas and for the purpose of promoting products we sell - competitions for example. Yes a lot of thought has gone into the media sales and it's far from finished. Once we start rolling out our content based areas there will be more opportunities available. We will also have a complete media kit available, that's all coming soon.

Overall I just hope by me putting my site here that people can learn something, that's what it's all about.

Dan

hey there, i am working on a TOTAL revamp of my site, and have been looking at other peopel's sites to get inspiration to get away from the oscommerce look.. And you site has DEFINITELY done that.

i was wondering, obviously you paid for the designer to do this (or you are the designer) but i was wondering if you used any contributions or could point me in a direction to find certain ways to get the results that you got.

IObviuosly i do not want to make my site like yours, i sell pet supplies and my site is kinda cutesy. Anyways, the MAIN info I have been searching for is how to make my header better, and you have close to what i want. I LOVE the drop down menu that you have that goes across the site with the Acout us, contact us, Customer Service, ect. I would LOVE to get soemthing like that done, but i havent found a good code that i am comfortable withusing, and although i know how to do some php editing, i am not all that great at coding from scratch.

BTW, love the site, and even though you can tell it is an oscommerce site at some points, its far enough away that it doesnt JUMP out at you. I also like the way that your images actually go OUTSIDE thebox. You have the girl at the bottom, and the cars and such.. i LOVE it. Is that just graphical borders?

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Hello... glad you like the site and glad I could help inspire you, I wish you all the best with your business.

I do all the application work but I had a company do the design work (artwork etc). We worked in partnership coming up with a wire frame, then going from there. I then integrated the design into our application etc...

In terms of contributions there was a couple I used years ago but I had to modify them all... most of the work has been done by myself. I much prefer to do it myself so I know how it works and I know it works properly.

The menu you like was done by the design team... I am sure there are contributions for a DHTML menu!?

The site is written using DIVs (layers) so all the funky layering of the images is done that way. It does involve artwork obviously.

Thanks again and good luck with your site.

Dan

well, the one thing that really frustrates me is that i am very into the creative side of building a website. I have done some really neat HTML sites and love to work in illustrator. I do business cards, logos, flyers, ect.. the issue with MY website is that it is NO WHERE NEAR as GOOD as it should be (in my eyes) but i have a hard time implimenting the ideas that i have becuse i'm not so good at php and coding in general.

I also believe in building a site the way you say - in steps. First the functionality, then design, then products..

I can only HOPE to have my site look close to as good with you.

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

All I can suggest is don't rush, plan your site design and go through a process. Most people rush in and try play around with designing when they don't even know what they are trying to achieve.

Keyword is RESEARCH... look around at what other successful e-commerce sites do, especially in your industry if there is any. Now I am not saying copy them but definitely take on board some of their concept and ideas and if possible improve on them.

Dan

oh yea.. i'm RIGHT on board with you now.. I am in pet supplies.. you can see my site here:

Furry Family Supplies

Now, its NO WHERE NEAR where i want it to be/ I just made a post about revamping my site, and i came up with a really neat header idea where the header would go across the entier screen and would be three sections, a far left, far right, and a repeating center, so ANY size monitor will fit my site.. I have some neat ideas for what to put in the header as well.. but i definitely want a nav. bar like yours with a drop down for each category. This way i can get rid of some more boxes. I'm am really trying to get away from the "boxiness" of oscomemrce, but its taking me a lot longer than a typical designer. I have been going at this full force for about 5 months, and i hired someone a year ago who was AWEFUL!!! He SAID he could do oscomemrce, but ended up doing no better than I am right now. If i could afford to pay someone to get an AWESOME site in just 2 months, i would - but i do like the learning process of doing it myself. I bought a bunch of books and spend a LOT of time on this forum.

So anyways, because i;m in pet supplies, i have 3 big competitors - Petco, Petsmart - Drs. Foster and Smith. So far, as far as functionality goes, i am getting there. I have site that is A LOT easier to navigate than petco, and Drs. Foster and Smith, but I am lacking in the "extras" field. I have an articles section which i will make into a full library of articles, but i would also like to offer an adoptions section and a photo contest - which should be fun because EVERYONE likes to show off their pets and look at other pets... i like the idea of your add a car and let people comment on it... THAT is awesome!! If i could do something like that with pet photos, i;d be psyched.. but right now, i GOTTA get my site up..

the other BIG thing that i want to do is have live chats with ASK THE EXPERT.. My husband is a big time fish keeper, and that is where both petco AND petsmart lack. They can BARELY sell you the right things for a goldfish tank. They SUCK at fish keeping.. Same with exotics.. so i plan on catering to people with different pets. I am just carrying dog and cat items because, well, why not?

I like your enthusiasm... that's what it takes to succeed at any business so looks like you are on the right track. I had a look at your site and I see what you mean... you have a fair way to go but you'll get there. Its taken me about 6 years to get to where we are today.

Dan

Archived