• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

register_globals=off

jhande

I've been going through my notes and files checking what I have installed and what is on the to-do list.

I noticed on my host (shared w/shared SSL) in cPanel that I am still running PHP 4.4.8 and not 5 even though I have enabled it. I am however running MySQL 5.0.45. Guess I need to call my host again. :o

I stumbled across a note I left for myself:

"Site broken with FastCGI enabled, PHP 5 register_globals=off needs patching. Bugs and problems even with patch. Research!

Also had problems when I updated my version according to the upgrade.html in the RC1 download. Could only utilize the bug fixes & not the improvements. Wonder if it was do to still running PHP4 & not 5?"

So I did a quick bit of research again and I'm still left in the clouds as to what I should do. :huh:

It seems that patching to run register globals off depends on or can effect a few things:

What shipping and payment modules your using, what contributions you have added, all seems that they "might" be effected.

Leaving register globals on is a security issue and one forum downs osC for leaving such in it's coding - Bluehost Forum.

I searched the contributions and Google to find an answer.

Contribution - Register Globals Easy by iRAY (Jiri Stavinoha from www.magic-seo-url.com)

Contribution - Register Globals by Richard Bentley (CMOTD)

Contribution - Register Globals Patch Files by Vger

This bit of info - Securely Retrieving GET or POST Data.

I was wondering if someone could shead a little light on - which contrib should I use (hopefully with less problems LOL), any way of telling which mods might cause problems? Basically I just need a push in the right direction. :mellow:

I can contact my host to switch my box to use PHP 5, but I don't know how long that might take them, thus how long to switch back if I incure problems.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

I searched the contributions and found.

Contribution - Register Globals Easy by iRAY (Jiri Stavinoha from www.magic-seo-url.com)

Contribution - Register Globals by Richard Bentley (CMOTD)

Contribution - Register Globals Patch Files by Vger

I was wondering if someone could shead a little light on - which contrib should I use. :mellow:

No recommendations as to which contribution people have had good luck installing?

:blink:

No recommendations as to which contribution people have had good luck installing?

:blink:

not a recommendation but what i can see as a surefire way of dealing with this issue: upgrade to RC2a, which works with php 4 or 5, register grobals ON or OFF.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Thanks for the reply Ken.

I wanted to hold off upgrading to a beta version and redoing all my edits and addons, finding what works and what doesn't. :(

Maybe I'll have to take an educated quess and pick a contrib. Or just spin the wheel and see which one comes up a winner LOL.

I noticed on my host (shared w/shared SSL) in cPanel that I am still running PHP 4.4.8 and not 5 even though I have enabled it. I am however running MySQL 5.0.45. Guess I need to call my host again. :o

Just an update to share a bit of info for others using cPanel.

I asked my host why PHP 4.4.8 was showing on the home page of my cPanel even though I chose PHP 5?

He said it was showing because it is still the default of the host. They are not making a manditory upgrade to PHP 5 until customers can confirm that they are compatible. They are monitoring from their backend how many customers are making the transition.

He also confirmed that I am running PHP 5.2.6 although it is not easily recognized from cPanel. To confirm, go to your osC admin panel > tools > server info as it will show exactly what is running.

Don't I feel like a shmuck... :blush:

Back to turning off register globals and figuring out why I can't utilize FastCGI.

Archived