• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need a site... I dont want to learn the whole process....

steveherman

ok... here is the deal...

i need a site...

i can load the actual items and variations myself...

i paid some goofball to do an e-commerce site for me and he built a blog site and added a shopping cart there...

i dont want to learn the whole oscommerce thing...

so can someone build me a site?

i am in motorcycle parts and apparrel...

not askin for a freebie... but if offered a freebie i will take it...

i can also trade... motorcycle gear or plans how to run you car on water or a prebuilt kit you just have to install...

i like template 14429... except for the purple...

You are not allowed to ask for paid services in the forum. Google what it is you need.

You are better off doing it yourself, there are plenty of templates in the add ons section as well as the simple template contribution.

You will need to know how your site runs in order to maintain it anyway, especially for updates unless money is no object for you, you will have to pay someone to maintain it for you on a regular basis.

Oscommerce is not that hard, you never know, you might even discover that you enjoy learning from it.

i never offered to pay....

i asked for help...

You are not allowed to ask for paid services in the forum. Google what it is you need.

You are better off doing it yourself, there are plenty of templates in the add ons section as well as the simple template contribution.

You will need to know how your site runs in order to maintain it anyway, especially for updates unless money is no object for you, you will have to pay someone to maintain it for you on a regular basis.

Oscommerce is not that hard, you never know, you might even discover that you enjoy learning from it.

i was offering to offer my service for another service...

not a freebie....

please dont turn this into a keyboard battle...

i need help...

that is all...

i do not have the time right now to learn oscommerce...

i need to get my site back up cuz this guy completely messed my whole site up...

i am in a pickle...

i dont mind learning it once i get back up and running...

when i know that there is someone ... especially here... that can help me...

per dictionary.com

pay 1 Audio Help (pā) Pronunciation Key

v. paid (pād), pay·ing, pays

v. tr.

To give money to in return for goods or services rendered: pay the cashier.

To give money in exchange for goods or services: paid four dollars for a hamburger; paid an hourly wage.

To discharge or settle (a debt or obligation): paying taxes; paid the bill.

To give recompense for; requite: a kindness that cannot be paid back.

To give recompense to; reward or punish: I'll pay him back for his insults.

To bear (a cost or penalty, for example) in recompense: She paid the price for her unpopular opinions.

To yield as a return: a savings plan that paid six percent interest.

To afford an advantage to; profit: It paid us to be generous.

To give or bestow: paying compliments; paying attention.

To make (a visit or call).

Past tense and past participle paid or payed (pād) To let out (a line or cable) by slackening.

v. intr.

To give money in exchange for goods or services.

To discharge a debt or obligation.

To bear a cost or penalty in recompense: You'll pay for this mischief!

To be profitable or worthwhile: It doesn't pay to get angry.

Quote: not askin for a freebie... unquote

whatever, I was just stating the rules & offering advice on how you can do it yourself.

unappreciated :( obviously

first: stating the rules... ok i get that... if i did violate that rule then i did not mean to...

next: offering advice on how you can do it yourself...

there is no advice... just says you are better doing it yourself....

unappreciated? no .. i would love some advice... but as of right now i need to get live ASAP

The advice was to SEARCH the add ons section for templates and if you bothered to look in the forums there is PLENTY of HELP to get you up and running

With that attitude you will be lucky if you recieve any help.

Basics

my attitude? wth?

you came at me with "do it yourself"

there was no mention to me to do a search from you... see below

my attitude can not be interpreted thru a keyboard....

here are the facts i had a website that worked pretty well...

i hired a quack job to tweak a few things... got screwed and now have nothing to show for my original website and nothing to show for my tweaks that i thought needed to be done...

you said to search...i have searched alot of templates... i want template 14429...

you said there is plenty of help... yeah 64 pages... i dont have time to sort thru 64 pages.... i need someone to get it up...

and back to my attitude.... do you now see you came at me with the attitude?

this is the first time where it is obvious that i have an attitude...

before this post if you thought i had an attitude it is cuz you misconstrued something i typed

so in my best non-attitude typing please just stop...

i just dont get it...

people think that they can read someones attitude thru a few sentences...

i am usually a really nice guy...

most people luv me...

so ausgirl please realize you came at me... offered no advice... and continued attacking me

all i want is help... i dont want you to dislike me... cuz i may need your help one day...

so let me say i am sorry you misunderstood me...

i hold no grudge against you...

Steve

14429 is an pre-made osc template made by template monster. Go ahead and buy it, and install it. Once you do that, you would then need to go to template monster for almost all support issues. Or pay for someone to solve any issues that you have. The reason for this is that most members here will not help you out with problems once they see you have installed a pre-made oscommerce template.

The other option is to use "STS" - simple template system" - to integrate a HTML template (the distinction between a HTML template and a pre-made oscommerce template is important). This way, you get to know about oscommerce and you will have at least a basic understanding of how the osc jigsaw puzzle fits together. There is a good tutorial available to learn STS quickly (like within a few hours).

Alternatively, have someone do one of the above for you. You already know from teh above posts that asking for "help for payment" is unappreciated - so the advice I would give is to search the forum for someone who looks knowledgable and then send them an email or message.

A lot of Templates from the mentioned site look great, however the code is all over the place.

If you wanted to add contributions to it you will probably have to pay some one to sort it all out.

The SSL links that are usually found in the header or are an image do not work as they have not been coded with the SSL links, and mostly they are all older versions of oscommerce.

I wouls follow Burts Idea, incidentally you said you already had a site, is it oscommerce?

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Hi

I'm kind of bumping around the forums looking at stuff picking up bits of advice and having the odd seizure thinking that I should have paid someone else do something for me before I spend my budget on just living. But I'm an inquisitive type and have enjoyed what I have learnt so far. I am no techie and have only used Apple's iWeb to put together a site before. Are you saying that STS will help intergrate osC with the kind of pages iWeb outputs for instance.???

BTW Ausgirl: if you can make a car run on water or do any kind of technical sh*t with motors then don't freak about building a site! Not having to wash your hands after a days work can have its advantages!!

Okay, my 2 cents here. Owning an online store is a BUSINESS. If you have deep enough pockets to hire someone to build your site, someone to check their work, someone to maintain it, someone to make sure it is secure, and someone to teach you how to use it then great. Hire someone to do it for you.

But if you are like most people here, they don't have pockets THAT deep so you have to do somethings yourself and most likely all of it. I am on my second business of my life and I know how to perform EVERY task that the business requires including building our first storefront, the web site, accounting, etc. Learning is just part of life and owning your own business. It makes practical and financial sense to know something about everything. It is the only way to know if/when you do hire someone that you know if they did it right, as the original poster found out when he got a web site but not the one he wanted.

The other thing is, why would one hire someone sight unseen? If you are going to hire someone, get someone in a reputable firm who has references. If you've got the money, why would you just go on a forum and take anyone who answers the call? You'd probably end up in the same place. Broken pockets and broken website.

I have to say, i TRIED that route. I knew NOTHING of php and was scared to touch ANYTHING on my site. I hired a guy who said he could do it.. basically the pace that he was working is the pace that I am working now, AND i am not loosing money doing it myself.. The other BEST thing about doing it yourself is that if something breaks, you can fix it. You really SHOULD have a good solid knowledge of how your business runs from the accounting to the physical store (online or brick)

This is my hobby site. I run a VERY VERY VERY sucessfull engineering and manufacturing firm, THAT is my life, the pet industry is my passion, and i really would like to have my own pet store, but to help finance that, an online store is a great start.

So yea, if you REALLY want to be a hands on business owner, bite the bullet, read, mess up things, and learn.

There are some books out there too that can help you.. search oscommerce at amazon. Monika Mathe and David Mercer are two really good authors.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Archived