• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Want 100% control over html output

I'm trying to start from the ground up with the design of the site, so I installed STS and so far so good. I started with a blank CSS file and started authoring the index page from the top.

So the problem comes when I inserted the $categorybox variable and it put in an ugly table-based category list that really cluttered the markup.

I went to boxes.php and to categories.php and noticed a lot of embedded HTML. Is this the only way to change the design of the "box" modules?

Is there no html template that's called by the PHP code to repeat and list the categories, or whatever box you're using?

Bottom line: I don't want tables on my site, and I don't know enough PHP to mess with the embedded markup. Am I out of luck?

Thanks for any pointers!

spax,

Does this just help make a table-less layout, or does it actually remove tables from the boxes?

Because I already have a table-free layout and all the places where I want to insert modules. It's the modules themselves that contain the tables I don't want.

thanks for your reply, man!

osC makes very heavy use of tables, so, unfortunatly I don't think you will find a way to rid.

You'll just have to find a way to work with.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

I'm trying to start from the ground up with the design of the site, so I installed STS and so far so good. I started with a blank CSS file and started authoring the index page from the top.

So the problem comes when I inserted the $categorybox variable and it put in an ugly table-based category list that really cluttered the markup.

I went to boxes.php and to categories.php and noticed a lot of embedded HTML. Is this the only way to change the design of the "box" modules?

Is there no html template that's called by the PHP code to repeat and list the categories, or whatever box you're using?

Bottom line: I don't want tables on my site, and I don't know enough PHP to mess with the embedded markup. Am I out of luck?

Thanks for any pointers!

Jeff,

You are using STS so why don't you ask STS related issues in the STS support thread? By doing so, you will get a quick response as well as have the opportunity to see if your issue has already been brought up (link is published in the STS User Manual as well as in my signature below: STSv4 Support Forum).

Note: Look in the STS User Manual under "Infobox Templates". STS has this feature already built in.

Note 2: spax and spooks have pointed you in a good direction regarding "total CSS layout" in osCommerce. The categories box is only the beginning of your troubles to obtain a complete non-tables osC site.

Tip: I use the Categories Box as a Nested UnOrdered List contribution along with the infobox template feature in STS. This contribution turns a stock categories box into a nested unordered list to allow you to have complete CSS control over the layout and functions of the menu such as hoover, selected, etc.

See you over in the STSv4 Support Forum,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Thanks, Bill. That's really helpful!

Jeff, just to be clear, what the others said was helpful info as well its just that since you have STS installed, you don't have to jump over as many hoops to customize your categories box.

Glad to be of assistance,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hello fellas,

I'm totally new to OS Commerce and I know nothing about programming in php. I've set up a website for my sisters business and want to make some basic edits to her store. I've installed STS and all appears to be well.

The instructions say:

3.1 Simple, One Page Template

From the admin panel in your osCommerce store, go to modules – STS. Install and enable the module named "Default". The look of your shop will now change to the look of the template that is located in:

• /catalog/includes/sts_templates/test/sts_template.html

Use style sheet settings or HTML settings to provide a custom look and feel to your site and arrange elements (placeholders) wherever you like them.• See chapter 3.3 if you want to change the name of the template.

• See chapter 3.4 if you want to change the folder where the templates are located.

• See chapter 4 for a list of available placeholders.

The red part is the where I'm totally lost. Not sure where to go to find and change "style sheet settings or HTML settings". My understanding was that this software would give some type of WYSIWYG interface to help you make simple edit. I hope that is the case...

Ok. I think I'm closer. Ive found a sts_template.html file but it's not where the directions said. I was in the /includes/sts_templates/full directory. Questions:

1. Is this the right file to edit?

2. When I save it and push it back to the site (backup old copy of course) do I need to do anything else for the site to render with the new changes in place?

I've tried modifying the file where it is and I've tried copying the modified file to the /includes directory, but when I refresh the site I dont see any changes.

Thanks!

Ok. I think I'm closer. Ive found a sts_template.html file but it's not where the directions said. I was in the /includes/sts_templates/full directory. Questions:

1. Is this the right file to edit?

2. When I save it and push it back to the site (backup old copy of course) do I need to do anything else for the site to render with the new changes in place?

I've tried modifying the file where it is and I've tried copying the modified file to the /includes directory, but when I refresh the site I dont see any changes.

Thanks!

This is not the support thread for STS.

Please use the link provided in the STS User Manual or follow the link from my signature below (STSv4 Support Forum).

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Archived