• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How can I add a website search bar on my page?

pedrordiaz

Hello Everyone!

I am new to OSC. I would like to know how I can put a website search bar up on my website so the viewers can search for special promos or products?

Please be specific, as i am new to all of this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

osCommerce already comes with this feature ... what version are you using...are you using a template?? be more specific

what version? i have no idea :( the designer that did my site and i aren't together anymore. No this is a custom template.

Please see below:

http://www.printchemist.com

I hope that helps.

thank you once again!

hmmm bit hard to tell how it was set up there and if column_left.php was used or discarded in your design .... easiest thing to do is add the following code:

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'search.php');

in your left column ... but as mentioned im not sure how this was designed so wouldn't have a clue where you would find the code for the left column...it normally sits in the file /includes/column_left.php ... but your designer might have put it in /includes/header.php ...

hmmm bit hard to tell how it was set up there and if column_left.php was used or discarded in your design .... easiest thing to do is add the following code:

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'search.php');

in your left column ... but as mentioned im not sure how this was designed so wouldn't have a clue where you would find the code for the left column...it normally sits in the file /includes/column_left.php ... but your designer might have put it in /includes/header.php ...

i would like to put the search bar on the right side next to the CONTACT button on the top. would that still work? do i have to slice anything?

im sorry for soudig stupid. i really appreciate your help.

i would like to put the search bar on the right side next to the CONTACT button on the top. would that still work? do i have to slice anything?

OK, i have INCLUDES/COLUMN_LEFT.php

INCLUDES/COLUMN_RIGHT.php

INCLUDES/HEADER.php

which one do i apply the code to and where?

Oh ok...well that code will display the search box BUT i think its going to completely mess your design up as it uses a new table to create the search box...

what you can do is include that bit of code AFTER your contact button (this should be in /includes/header.php ... then modify how you want it displayed in /includes/boxes/search.php so you can play around with the display in this file to suit your site :)

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF ALL YOUR FILES BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!!

Oh ok...well that code will display the search box BUT i think its going to completely mess your design up as it uses a new table to create the search box...

what you can do is include that bit of code AFTER your contact button (this should be in /includes/header.php ... then modify how you want it displayed in /includes/boxes/search.php so you can play around with the display in this file to suit your site :)

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF ALL YOUR FILES BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!!

PERFECT! thank you very much! Much Appreciated!

Archived