• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading from RC1

Hello Community,

I bought a template so I could get my site going fast. I had tried to develop my own from scratch, using PHP & MySQL, but it was just taking too long. Long story short, when I go to Server Info it reads "v.2.2 RC1" and I know the latest release is RC2. I wanted to upgrade, but I am unsure as to how to go about it without loosing the information I have already populated in the site.

Thanks,

GP

Hello Community,

I bought a template so I could get my site going fast. I had tried to develop my own from scratch, using PHP & MySQL, but it was just taking too long. Long story short, when I go to Server Info it reads "v.2.2 RC1" and I know the latest release is RC2. I wanted to upgrade, but I am unsure as to how to go about it without loosing the information I have already populated in the site.

Thanks,

GP

I have found that updating purchased templates to be a bit of a hassle, and the Template Sales people don't seem to care a lot.

I know nothing about what you have, but after you have completely and totally saved, backed up and burnt a copy of your current site and database.

Run an upgrade, copy your current stylesheet and hook it upto your current database and see what the result is.

Otherwise, work on the theory if it's not broke don't fix it.

I know its not want you want to hear but is the voice of someone who has been through the hoops more than a few times.

Cheers

Ron

The Crew rowing the boat, don't rock it !

I have found that updating purchased templates to be a bit of a hassle, and the Template Sales people don't seem to care a lot.

I know nothing about what you have, but after you have completely and totally saved, backed up and burnt a copy of your current site and database.

Run an upgrade, copy your current stylesheet and hook it upto your current database and see what the result is.

Otherwise, work on the theory if it's not broke don't fix it.

I know its not want you want to hear but is the voice of someone who has been through the hoops more than a few times.

Thank you!

Yeah, they really don't care at all, and they're not cheap, lol.

So there is some sort of upgrade file? That is what I don't know.

Thank you!

Yeah, they really don't care at all, and they're not cheap, lol.

So there is some sort of upgrade file? That is what I don't know.

If you download the version you want to go to, there will be upgrade instructions included.

Good Luck

Cheers

Ron

The Crew rowing the boat, don't rock it !

If you download the version you want to go to, there will be upgrade instructions included.

Good Luck

Oh :blink: , that is a lot of changes, lol.

Thank you very much, now I'll have a few hours of fun ahead just for this, lol <_< .

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I downloaded RC2. There is upgrade.html file there that lists all the changes and documentation.pdf that gives instructions for new installation, but not the upgrade from RC1. As I understand, there is DB changes involved, so I can't just override files. I need to change DB also. At the beginning of upgrade.html there is something that looks like sql text that modifies tables. Can I just copy/paste it to my server and submit to MySQL and then override file?

I have DB already populated, but oC wasn't customized yet. And I would like to start with new version, as it probably soon will become a standard.

Any suggestions on upgrade procedures?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to hear any tips/tricks for upgrading from RC1 to RC2.

the upgrade.html file wont even let me copy & paste the new code without copying the line #'s also. I know, no big deal, but it's annoying.

upgrade.html doesn't tell me what to do with the SQL changes either. Do i just copy that block of code into my database and run a SQL query or whatever?

There is no quick fix.

Download each package from your current one to the one you want to finally end up at.

Follow the upgrade instructions of each one.

If you miss out any upgrade instruction it might come back and bite you in the b*m when you try to install a contribution.

To run sql

1) Go to your ISPs admin area for your site.

2) Click on the icon for Mysql, then find the link for phpmyadmin, it might be hidden away at the bottom but not on all admin sites. If you can’t find this, please consult your ISP's help desk.

3) In some cases, you may have to choose which database your OSC tables are located on. If this is the case, please choose using the dropdown box.

4) Click on "SQL" on the navigation bar.

5) Enter/paste your SQL in the textbox provided or, if you have a file containing the sql commands, click on Import and follow the on screen prompts.

6) For both methods click "Go"..

7) If all goes well, your SQL query will run successfully

For another explanation see:-

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...dmin+mysql+code

Or for a contribution to allow you to run SQL Script from Admin

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4567

Cheers!

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Ok,

and now one stupid question... :-p

How can you tell which version of oscommerce is installed?

I have installed oscommerce a long time ago (with a template) and I want to upgrade it to work on MySQL5 and PHP5, but have no idea what version it is, so I can use the correct instructions to upgrade.

Anyone know a way to find out the version installed?

Thank you in advance

Antonios

My image is oscommerce.gif and no version is shown on image or image properties... any other way to find out?
You can check catalog/admin/includes/application_top.php. At some place there will be line like

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1');

However it may be not present in older versions. I simply don't know for sure.

You can check catalog/admin/includes/application_top.php. At some place there will be line like

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1');

However it may be not present in older versions. I simply don't know for sure.

Yes it's there

" define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS2');"

Thank you very much!

;)

Archived