• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy question for most of you...

I don´t understand your question.

Maybe copy-and-paste could be a good answer.

Backup, means you make a security copy of your data. Copy and paste a single file or a complete folder tree is a backup of that data.

What do you want to backup?

Notepad and so on, are just editors. You can also make a copy of your file if you select File->Save As in most editors.

Hey!!... I still need help with this http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=309208. Please, take a look on it.

There are 2 sides to your site, the code and the data.

The code can be copied down from your web server using an ftp client to your PC and then burnt onto a cd for additional security.

Every time you change the code by adding contributions you should do this.

There is a backup option in the osc admin site that will copy your data into a file on your site which you can then copy down as above.

Most companies backup their data on a daily basis, how much data you are willing to lose determines how often you should back up.

With a copy of the code and the data you can move to a new server fairly easily if required.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

There are 2 sides to your site, the code and the data.

The code can be copied down from your web server using an ftp client to your PC and then burnt onto a cd for additional security.

Every time you change the code by adding contributions you should do this.

There is a backup option in the osc admin site that will copy your data into a file on your site which you can then copy down as above.

Most companies backup their data on a daily basis, how much data you are willing to lose determines how often you should back up.

With a copy of the code and the data you can move to a new server fairly easily if required.

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for the explanation... The reason I ask is that I copied and pasted a code into notepad for backup. I was trying to upgrade SEO and it didn't work for me. I went to restore the backup and it didn't work. I'm currently waiting for a restore through Lunar Server...Now there telling me they can't find the tapes...I paid extra for this service and now I'm not sure what to do. I do use the osc admin data back on a regular basis but not through ftp. Can you help me? I have put months into this...http://kitchenconveniences.com

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for the explanation... The reason I ask is that I copied and pasted a code into notepad for backup. I was trying to upgrade SEO and it didn't work for me. I went to restore the backup and it didn't work. I'm currently waiting for a restore through Lunar Server...Now there telling me they can't find the tapes...I paid extra for this service and now I'm not sure what to do. I do use the osc admin data back on a regular basis but not through ftp. Can you help me? I have put months into this...http://kitchenconveniences.com

Thanks,

Pat

Not that it's gonna help you much, but i use ftp client to back up my site often, i also do a back up server side, use the database backup in oscommerce regulary and EVERY time i change a file, the file i am going to change i rename. I.e, say i am going to update index.php i go into my site using ftp, change the index.php file to index.phporig, then upload the index.php i have modified and test it. If it doesn't work, i delete it and rename the index.phporig back to index.php and i am back where i started.

Not that it's gonna help you much, but i use ftp client to back up my site often, i also do a back up server side, use the database backup in oscommerce regulary and EVERY time i change a file, the file i am going to change i rename. I.e, say i am going to update index.php i go into my site using ftp, change the index.php file to index.phporig, then upload the index.php i have modified and test it. If it doesn't work, i delete it and rename the index.phporig back to index.php and i am back where i started.

I will definitely do this for now on. Thanks for your help

Pat

I went to restore the backup and it didn't work. I'm currently waiting for a restore through Lunar Server...Now there telling me they can't find the tapes...I paid extra for this service and now I'm not sure what to do.

Lunarpages only promises to keep a nightly backup around for something like three days -- if you wait beyond that to request a restore, you're pushing your luck (Premium Restore Service or no). I've also heard of them occasionally losing tapes or having bad backups, so don't completely depend on them!

You can always make your own backups, through cron jobs (tar command) and phpMyAdmin (I'm assuming you're on a Linux server and not a Windows server). I've never tried doing a MySQL command line backup (via cron), but it's something I should try soon. It's usually safe to leave the backups (.tgz and .sql files) on the server, where they'll be rolled up into the nightly system backups. You can try giving them unique names (e.g., based on the date) and using cron to purge old ones. Of course, for extra peace of mind you can download to your PC once a week (or more often). I'm not sure if you can automate the download to your PC -- try asking on Lunarforums. I'd like to know the answers too, as I go "live" with my site soon.

Lunarpages only promises to keep a nightly backup around for something like three days -- if you wait beyond that to request a restore, you're pushing your luck (Premium Restore Service or no). I've also heard of them occasionally losing tapes or having bad backups, so don't completely depend on them!

You can always make your own backups, through cron jobs (tar command) and phpMyAdmin (I'm assuming you're on a Linux server and not a Windows server). I've never tried doing a MySQL command line backup (via cron), but it's something I should try soon. It's usually safe to leave the backups (.tgz and .sql files) on the server, where they'll be rolled up into the nightly system backups. You can try giving them unique names (e.g., based on the date) and using cron to purge old ones. Of course, for extra peace of mind you can download to your PC once a week (or more often). I'm not sure if you can automate the download to your PC -- try asking on Lunarforums. I'd like to know the answers too, as I go "live" with my site soon.

Even though i back up to my pc at least once a week, i also do a backup on my vps server-this can be automated in plesk. Not sure how you could automate the download to your p.c. Would be a good idea as an ftp client add on though!

Archived