• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Total Noobie installation problem

yoursoccershirts

Hi guys.

Is there instructions on how to install oscommerce for idiots??, ive downloaded oscommerce and unziped all the files into a folder.

Im using cPanel for my website but im failing at the first step, i don't know how to upload the catalog using ftp. can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to do this?, ive looked on youtube for a video but can't find anything :(

first thing I suggest is get an FTP program (Cute FTP, WS FTP etc)

once its installed you need to log onto your website with an FTP address or IP address

set the local directory to where you have the catalog folder and the remote to your server root directory

in the ftp program you normally have your local dir and on the right you have your server root Dir

you need to copy the catalog folder or the files in it into a folder like the Htdocs folder

you will have to set up a database on the server before you install from your server cPanel

once thats done you can install it using an internet browser by going to www.yourdomain.com/install

I'd suggest reading the threads at the top of this page for more info on installing

first thing I suggest is get an FTP program (Cute FTP, WS FTP etc)

once its installed you need to log onto your website with an FTP address or IP address

set the local directory to where you have the catalog folder and the remote to your server root directory

in the ftp program you normally have your local dir and on the right you have your server root Dir

you need to copy the catalog folder or the files in it into a folder like the Htdocs folder

you will have to set up a database on the server before you install from your server cPanel

once thats done you can install it using an internet browser by going to www.yourdomain.com/install

I'd suggest reading the threads at the top of this page for more info on installing

ok i downloaded a FTP program and have connected to the server, but what folder do i transfer the files into?

When i click into file manager i have 4 choices

Home Directory

Web Root (public_html/www)

Public FTP Root (public_ftp)

Document Root for: mywebsite

also were do i put the file when i chose one of the above ?

thanks

Hi

use public_html

then if you want the url of your site to be www.yourdomainname.com use the puplic_html folder then upload only the files and folders in the folder called catalog but if you want it to be www.yourdomainname.com/catalog then upload only the folder called catalog.

if you want it to be .com/shop then before you upload the files change the name of catalog to like shop....

then go to www.yourdomainname.com/install or www.yourdomainname.com/catalog/install or www.yourdomainname.com/shop/install and install osC and then if you need help just post it here?

then if you want the url of your site to be www.yourdomainname.com use the puplic_html folder then upload only the files and folders in the folder called catalog but if you want it to be www.yourdomainname.com/catalog then upload only the folder called catalog.

if you want it to be .com/shop then before you upload the files change the name of catalog to like shop....

then go to www.yourdomainname.com/install or www.yourdomainname.com/catalog/install or www.yourdomainname.com/shop/install and install osC and then if you need help just post it here?

Hi

also have a look read of documentation.pdf in the osc download folder it has a lot off good thinks in ref the shop workings?

Archived