• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Anime Shop Re-Design

greatlakes

I think you just chose bad timing to post. Its the weekend. not ALL of us geeks sit around the computers on the WEEKENDS.. well, except me, here on a Friday night with nothing better to do

anyways.. I'll live you some feedback

I like the design, but i think with a theme like anime, you CAN do a lot more with it.. but if this is your first site, then you are on a good path.

The thing with anime (in my uneducated opinion) is you have lots of bright colors and action, but always clean lines and organization. All the anime style images look like that in my eyes.. theres little blending of colors, think brush strokes BUT they arent like childlike thick, more geometric.

So if you were to take that idea of bright, fun designs with thick, geometric outlines, you CAN do a lot with it.

But now on to your ACTUAL site.

I like the fact that the background is fixed. I think it saves it from looking too busy. I'm not sure if this would work or not, but it MIGHT look a little less busy if you made teh content boxes of the site WHITE instead of black> The black almost makes it look like it is blending too much into your background image.. while you want it to MATCH, you dont want it to blend too much.

I think you might do better with thumbnail listing for your products instead of the column listing.. there is a GREAT contribution by SPOOKS called product thumbnail listing with manufacturer (or something simliar) that is REALLY good and very clean looking. I like it.

You NEED to change that little write a review graphic that shows in the right column when you view a product. It doesnt match you site at all.

i think you should showcase the coming soon box. Maybe put it in your index or something. Have the COMING SOON right above a box that says IF YOU LIKE THOSE, TRY THESE IN THE MEANTIME.. something like that might be good for sales.

You also might want to think about letting your customers purchase with out an account. there is research that shows that people do not want to deal with that and will leave a store because of it. There is a contribution for that too..

in all, its a pretty basic OSCOMMERCE site with LOTS of potential

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Thank you for the input, i have added the checkout without account and will be working on more on the site.

What does the thumbnail contrib by spook do? I read it in the contrib area but not sure what it will do for me?

your background is looking a little funny, i didnt notice it before, but it looks like it is trying to repeat on the right side. I can just see a small cut off piece of an illustration.

Its probably because i have a widescreen, but you should try to fix that. Maybe make the image exactly the size you want in photoshop. This way you will not have that.

the thumbnail contribution will make your products listing show in a grid style instead of columns like you have now. You will have a small image, below the price and details and buy now button.. it would be instead of the long straight rows that you have.

It just looks neater in my opinion, and since you have magaine covers, it will look good and uniform> And you can fit more on a page without making the customer scroll down.

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

your background is looking a little funny, i didnt notice it before, but it looks like it is trying to repeat on the right side. I can just see a small cut off piece of an illustration.

Its probably because i have a widescreen, but you should try to fix that. Maybe make the image exactly the size you want in photoshop. This way you will not have that.

the thumbnail contribution will make your products listing show in a grid style instead of columns like you have now. You will have a small image, below the price and details and buy now button.. it would be instead of the long straight rows that you have.

It just looks neater in my opinion, and since you have magaine covers, it will look good and uniform> And you can fit more on a page without making the customer scroll down.

I changed the background hopefully that works. iam gonna try to make a better one later tonight. Will the thumb nail contrib throw off the center of the site?

nope. I have it applied to my site which is centered (www.furryfamilysupplies.com)

I do not have a lot of products, but if you go to the gift certificates, you can get an idea.. also, my details and buy now buttons are bigger than they should be.. but you can SEE what i am saying.

you put back the same background you had before.. The background image is fine, but i think you should make the rest of the background (inside the site content) white. It will look a LOT less busy.

I also think you can benefit from less "square" images on the box headers.. Just a thought though

yes, but since it is an individual image and not a small repeating image, it is GOING to look funny on some screens.

Right now, the size and placement of the existing image looks fine, BUT my issue is with the blending colors. That has nothing to do with the actual placement of the background image now. I just think that the BLACK background is too much with that dark busy outside background

everything loaded VERY quick for me.. I am using IE7 here.. no compaints

Can anyone tell me how the load times are? Just doing some optimizeing things to help with load times..

I am stuck with dialup and the site loads a way too slow. If I was shopping I would leave instead of waiting.

Optimize your images. Do you have a program similar too if not Photoshop with Image Ready? To show an example of what I mean; take your header graphic, the file size is 121 KB (124,250 bytes). I optimized it and now it's 21.8 KB (22,413 bytes), big difference!

greatlakesbanner2oz3.jpg

Same with your background; original 274 KB (281,153 bytes), optimized 128 KB (131,345 bytes). You can probably save even more load time if you use just a slice of the background image and wrap it around the main table instead of going behind it. But that would involve some HTML and/or CSS playing around.

bg2ds2.jpg

Only way to contact you is through email. There's no address or phone number. I would at least post an address (not a P.O. Box). Not many people feel comfortable buying online with no means of contact. I know I don't buy from sites if there's no address and phone number. Just makes me think SCAM. <_<

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

what program did you use to make your pictures?? do you have ANY graphics program?? fireworks, photoshop, ect?

well, i would just ask the friend to optimize it for the web.. any other site is not going to give you the quality in optimizing, and photoshop and fireworks are REALLY expensive

i prefer photoshop, but if you are doing it JUST to optimize images, then it doesnt matter..

They are both kind of hard to learn at first, but once you get the deal with all the options, it is kinda fun.

my husband went to school for graphic design so he teaches me the ins and outs of illustrator and photoshop and i teach him about dreamweaver.. but anyways, they are both frustrating at time.

Archived