• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product listing sort order

spooks

Your idea interests me very much. What are the changes to be done?

Pascal Thiou

I went with a very simple approach..but this will ONLY work for you if you are NOT shipping by weight, and do not EVER plan to

I prefer to bend the cart to my will, with the least possible editing, its all about end result, simplicity and speed!

I use flat rate shipping so it works great for me...

I sort the products by weight

I assign the weight to be the order I want the products to display in.

in other words first product gets a weight of 10, second gets a weight of 20, ect...

going in 10's allows easy addition of products later...and also allows easy re-shuffling if you want it down the road..

one other make sure you up the max ship weight in the admin settings of your cart.. I use 50000

instead of 50, and then you need not worry about the cart saying....cant ship that, over the limit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In need of help?

Tried everything on this thread and still cant get my sorting to work. My site is only currently showing all products added last first. Been trying to sort by name, manufacturer, price, and i just dont seem to be getting anywere?

Greatly appreciate any help i can get!

I assume your looking at setting sort order for the new_products.php module, see my ealier post in this thread for that.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

;) Great... I was trying to use a complicated module when i found this topic. Here works perfect, very simple to apply. Tankyou ;) If there's something that I can do for you just say it!

At this moment there's only two problem's at my store, the days of week, months etc are in english, and i don´t now where is the file that reffer to that. I want to translate it to Portugues (btw, sorry for my bad english). The other problem, I would like to know a way to "massive" apply the same atributte to a category of products, for example editing directly de database, but I dont now how to do it, so I will have to make ir one by one <_<

;) Martim, Lisbon

Hi Spooks!

I tried the mod you suggested in your first post, and all went well except that my sort order is not perfect (almost, though). I used PRODUCT_LIST_QUANTITY, as it's not a field I use otherwise.

My problem is, although most of my products obey my sort order now, certain products are "stubborn" and insist on being placed fifth, for instance, or last. I have checked everything I can see, inserted the numbers again, used 100, 200, 300 instead of 1, 2, 3, etc. Nothing works.

Here's my code:

if ( (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (!ereg('[1-8][ad]', $HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (substr($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'], 0, 1) > sizeof($column_list)) ) {
  for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($column_list); $i<$n; $i++) {
	if ($column_list[$i] == 'PRODUCT_LIST_QUANTITY') {
	  $HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'] = $i+1 . 'a';
	  $listing_sql .= " order by p.products_quantity";
	  break;
	}

Did I do something weird?

Thanks, Wendy

Are you trying to set your own specific sort order?, If so there is a post above on that

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Hi!

I read the whole thread again, but I'm not finding anything new (maybe I'm just a bit dense). Yes, I'm trying to set my own specific order, according to your first post, and using the column PRODUCT_LIST_QUANTITY, which is not a column I intend to utilize otherwise. I am placing my own numbers in "Quantity" to set the order of display.

As I mentioned, as soon as I made the changes, most products were indeed listed in the order that I wished. Some categories are perfect! But in some, there are certain products that insist on being in their own "custom" position in the list, no matter what I do.

Perhaps this will remain a mystery, and I'll try using another column to see if that helps. In any case, I am very glad I found the information you provided on this thread, because before that, I had no idea how to accomplish this. :)

~Wendy

You could check your query by adding

echo '<hr>' . $listing_sql . '<hr>';

at the end of your product_listing.php

also look in phpmyadmin, browse the products & check data, also check type setting for products_quantity.

Sam

Contributions:

Hi, Sam,

Sorry I don't know how to interpret this, but I tried adding the query to product_listing.php, and this is what it gave me:

select p.products_image, pd.products_name, p.products_id, p.manufacturers_id, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, IF(s.status, s.specials_new_products_price, NULL) as specials_new_products_price, IF(s.status, s.specials_new_products_price, p.products_price) as final_price from products_description pd, products p left join manufacturers m on p.manufacturers_id = m.manufacturers_id left join specials s on p.products_id = s.products_id, products_to_categories p2c where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = p2c.products_id and pd.products_id = p2c.products_id and pd.language_id = '1' and p2c.categories_id = '6'

Any idea what this means?

Thanks,

~Wendy

Sorry, me again...

I was all excited for a minute, when I noticed Leslie's post above and your solution to the problem - Leslie was using a SEO URLS contrib., and you advised turning "search engine friendly URL" to "off".

However, I have not installed such a contribution, and my "Use Search-Engine Safe URLS" in admin is set to "false".

Thought I'd better tell you... :)

This should end with order by p.products_quantity which it does'nt thats why you don`t get the order you want.

I just reliased why, perhaps I should have realised before but I`ve got lots on right now so cant think of everything.

I bet you havent included products quantity in the column list, that means the line:

will always fail, so

never gets added

so instead of:

if ( (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (!ereg('[1-8][ad]', $HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (substr($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'], 0, 1) > sizeof($column_list)) ) {
	  break;
	}
  }
} else {

put:

if ( (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (!ereg('^[1-8][ad]$', $HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (substr($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'], 0, 1) > sizeof($column_list)) ) {
	  $HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'] = 0 . 'a';
 } else {

Sam

Contributions:

Now it works wonderfully, I dind't realised that there was a problem because I had entered the products by manufacturer, but when I had a new won I saw that it wasn't really sorting, but now it's ok! ;)

Thank you! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Sam, I m trying to sort by date, I use this

if ( (!isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (!ereg('^[1-8][ad]$', $HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'])) || (substr($HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'], 0, 1) > sizeof($column_list)) ) {

$HTTP_GET_VARS['sort'] = 0 . 'd';

$listing_sql .= " order by p.products_date_added DESC, pd.products_name";

} else {

it works when I click on a manufacturer, or I goes to the end of a category, but in the home page and in the first category level it doesn't work, in home its sort by product id, and in category firts level sort by Category id (i think). what can be wrong?

the echo '<hr>' . $listing_sql . '<hr>'; code must be paste in catalog/includes/modules/product_listing.php ???

PD: i also tried to sort by product model editing products_model 1,2,3,4,5,6... (also with weight). My web have the products_next_previous v3.2, maybe it's the problem...

This should end with order by p.products_quantity which it does'nt thats why you don`t get the order you want.

I just reliased why, perhaps I should have realised before but I`ve got lots on right now so cant think of everything.

I bet you havent included products quantity in the column list, that means the line:

will always fail, so

never gets added

so instead of:

break;
	}
  }
} else {

put:

} else {

Hi Sam,

I was having a similar problem to what WoodsWalker was describing. I decided to add four characters to the beginning of each product's model number. The first was a letter to signify the general category of the item, the second and third were the sorting number, and the forth was a hyphen, to separate it from the rest of the model number, for example: A04-######## would be the forth item in the Accessories category. This seems to work great, except for a few products that wouldn't sort in the right order.

So, finding your post, I tried removing the "if ($column_list[$i] ==..." code. Everything sorted fine, then, but my formating vanished. Suddenly, my background wasn't there, much (if not all) of the text formating was gone. Any clues?

For full details:

Old Code:

if ($column_list[$i] == 'PRODUCT_LIST_MODEL') {

$listing_sql .= " order by p.products_model";

break;

}

}

} else {

New Code:

$listing_sql .= " order by p.products_model";

} else {

Thanks!

Hi Geoffrey!

I'd say, "so far, so good" with your ingenious scheme. The hard part was getting the product order to work. Now we just have to get your formatting back.

I had a similar occurance once when I was twiddling with column widths in shopping_cart.php. I finally got the columns to behave the way I wanted, but the page formatting suddenly went completely bazoo. I went back to my backup copy and tried to recreate the chain of events (had to do this several times).

Finally, I figured out what had happened. I work in Dreamweaver. When I save a page, it usually asks me if I want to "Update Links" - and I usually say no, because I do not know what that does. However, in this instance I had mistakenly said yes. I don't know why Dreamweaver does what it does, but it altered my stylesheet.css (adding an unwanted bit of code to TD.productListing-data).

When I corrected this (or I might have reloaded a backup of stylesheet.css), everything was fine.

I know there's only a chance that this will help you. Let us know how it goes.

~Wendy

I just wanted to add that if the syntax is off in stylesheet.css by so much as a crumb, the whole stylesheet is non-functional. This is what happened in my case - Dreamweaver added something to stylesheet.css, but it didn't use the right syntax, which brought the whole thing down.

Hello Wendy,

Thank you. Because of your comments, I went back and took a copy of the working file, made the edits again and uploaded it. Now I've got formatting and proper sorting. It's all wonderful! Clearly something similar must have happened where my editing program made a change that I didn't want it to. When I went back to the original file, it recovered from whatever the change was.

So, again, thank you!

Geoffrey.

More info needed, what have tried yourself?

Sam

Contributions:

You really dont like giving anything do you!!!

the best I can say from that limited info is:

instead of:

break;
	}
  }
} else {

put:

$listing_sql .= " order by ABS(floorplan) ";
 } else {

You'll have to work out the rest yourself, as you refuse to provide proper details.

Sam

Contributions:

Archived