• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie Stylesheet Question

aligre

Hello. I'm a newbie. I need to edit my stylesheet to customize my store. I was able to edit my header and make it look acceptable. But when I try to edit the stylesheet, I get a message that says "cannot edit files of this type". I've tried everything I can think of and searched for info., but I'm stumped. How should I edit the stylesheet? Thanks for any help!

Any text editor will do as style sheets are just plain text files.

What program are you trying to edit it with?

:unsure:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Any text editor will do as style sheets are just plain text files.

What program are you trying to edit it with?

I tried editing it from the File Manager in my hosting account. That works great for the header, but won't open the stylesheet. I don't know how to do it using FileZilla or even if it's possible. I thought of trying to do it on my computer with a Notepad program or Wordpad and then overwrite the file in FileZilla, but that didn't seem to work either. I just need a kind soul such as yourself to push me in the right direction again. :blush:

I thought of trying to do it on my computer with a Notepad program or Wordpad and then overwrite the file in FileZilla

What didn't seem to work doing it that way?

Many times when making changes to the stylesheet you may not see the changes if you don't force your PC to get the latest contents from the server.

You may just be viewing your PC's cache of the site.

Using Firefox or IE, hold the <Ctrl> key down while doing a page refesh. This forces the browser to fetch the latest contents from the server.

I think the best way to experiment with stylesheet changes would be using Firefox and the Web Developer Plugin (it's a link, click it).

Using it you can edit the stylsheet "on the fly" in real time and see the changes on your screen immediately.

Then when finished, just copy/paste the stylesheet text out of the web developer window into a text editor (like Notepad) on your PC then upload!

:)

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Thanks for the info! It's working now to edit the file with Notepad and overwrite with FileZilla. It turns out that I did make an edit that worked last night, but it wasn't done in the place I thought it would be and was therefore inconspicuous. :rolleyes:

Archived