• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Pricing by zone

ms-signs

I cover to areas one in California and the other in Arizona, I want to have a different price for these area.

is there any contributions for this I have looked and cant find anything, i may be looking with the wrong key words

There is seperate pricing per customer group contribution.

So You will have to apply this code and depending on customers login set its group.

Then the code will do its work.

Satish Mantri

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

Are you going to require customers to sign on before they see any prices? If not, how would you know their address so you know what price to post? My suggestion would be to charge extra shipping and handling to one of the states -- more of a shipping charge by zone thing -- rather than trying to juggle prices. Nothing will piss off a customer faster than seeing one price listed on the product page and a higher one listed on the shopping cart and invoice! Conversely, maybe you could display a higher price, and give them a "local customer appreciation" discount once you get their address.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're doing this to avoid one state's sales tax (discounting to make the total with and without tax the same), that could land you in deep doo-doo with the state that's losing sales tax revenue. You might want to check out your plan with the sales tax guys. They might let you post a "sales tax included" price, but then you'll face demands from out-of-state customers to lower their bill because they shouldn't be paying sales tax.

Are you going to require customers to sign on before they see any prices? If not, how would you know their address so you know what price to post? My suggestion would be to charge extra shipping and handling to one of the states -- more of a shipping charge by zone thing -- rather than trying to juggle prices. Nothing will piss off a customer faster than seeing one price listed on the product page and a higher one listed on the shopping cart and invoice! Conversely, maybe you could display a higher price, and give them a "local customer appreciation" discount once you get their address.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're doing this to avoid one state's sales tax (discounting to make the total with and without tax the same), that could land you in deep doo-doo with the state that's losing sales tax revenue. You might want to check out your plan with the sales tax guys. They might let you post a "sales tax included" price, but then you'll face demands from out-of-state customers to lower their bill because they shouldn't be paying sales tax.

I'm a little new to this, I was thinking of using to sites one for local customers and the other for out of state, can I block ip address from a state or two from entering a shop or can you redirect them the the correct site for them, My providers do this to me if im in California I see one set of prices if Im in Arizona I see another set of prices, same url, I just dont know if you can do it in osc. the thing is that I service client going to their business and selling a product their, that has an extra cost for me, if I put my online prices higher they will be to high. but if my local client keep seeing those prices I wont sell anything localy they dont understand of the extra expence.

Hmm. That could be tricky. I don't think there's any easy way to block by state based on IP address. If someone comes in via aol.com or some other national provider, how can you tell what state they're from?

Your basic problem is that you need to charge higher prices in one state than in another, due to extra costs that you incur. If you don't want to try to split the difference and set one single price, I think you'll have to look for a way to force the visitor to sign on before showing any prices (I assume that will take a mod). That way you'll have their address, and could (with another mod) adjust the price as needed. I don't know if either of those mods (add-ons) yet exist. An alternative could be to add a shipping surcharge for one state and bury it in shipping and handling. It sounds nicer than "we're charging you extra for living in ___".

By the way, do you simply refuse to take orders from outside of CA and AZ? If so, requiring a sign on would save some aggravation on the customer's part, by being able to kick them out the door very early in the process, rather than having them get all the way to the end, and then say, "Sorry, we don't serve your kind here."

By the way, do you simply refuse to take orders from outside of CA and AZ?

CA & AZ are my main markets, cant stop selling to them, but most clients will see the product online at online price and they will call me for an appointment to visit their business with samples, I'v tried having a "mail me samples" link they wont use it, they want someone in person. If AZ & CA clients order online with no need for me to visit them I have no problem giving them online price. what I'll end up doing is having two shops with completely defferent domians and one for local services and other for everyone.

thank you.

Archived