• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

expert advice

1.Any expert out there should please check my website www.outletonlineforyou.com for things to be done in order for the site to rank high in search engines. Please take your time to help me check the codes and so on.

2. Some search engines are showing things on my site that don't really entice people to click on my site. What can i do let search engine show my pages title.

Please go to www.msn.com and type my site in there to better understand what am saying. THANKS

HI,

I have similar problem. Somehow nothing from my product pages - titles and descriptions show up on any search engines.

Is the product info on products_info.php page that gets pulle din from the database gets crawled y the search engine crawlers?

The only reason I am getting some visibility on search engines is because we did some artcile directory submission and some keywords explicitely on each page.

Why is my product details not getting into search engines crawling?

My web site: www.india1imports.com

Please note that I have submitted the inside page - www.india1imports.com/catalog/index.php to many search engines.

Somethign very basic is not correct in my web site or with PHO based web site sin general.

Satish - pleas explain in more detail what you meant?

Thanks,

Abhay

That's why I did`nt answer this one, good luck!!

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

I am really not looking for personal feedback on my web site.

i am looking for general guidelines on why the product description and title on osC web site might not be crawled by search engine crawlers.

I have another web site that is based on ASP and that ones gets easily crawled by crawlers.

The About Us and FAQ pages are available in search results. Why not product pages?

Thanks,

Abhay

apply seo url code.

Satish

Satish could you please be more clearer on what you mean by ''apply seo url code''.

HI outlet online - I am beginning to figure out what Satish means.

There is a contribution by the name "Ultimate SEO URLs". Search it in the contributions. This changes the dynamically generated url to more clear and obvious ones for the search engines.

Also, we should generate the Sitemap for our web sites and submit to search engines. But, I am seen that none of the online sitemap generators are creating a link to product and category pages. Thats because they are dynamically generated. I am hoping the implementing the "Ultimate SEO URLs" contribution will take care of it. I will post again after I implement it and try generating my sitemap.

HI outlet online - I am beginning to figure out what Satish means.

There is a contribution by the name "Ultimate SEO URLs". Search it in the contributions. This changes the dynamically generated url to more clear and obvious ones for the search engines.

Also, we should generate the Sitemap for our web sites and submit to search engines. But, I am seen that none of the online sitemap generators are creating a link to product and category pages. Thats because they are dynamically generated. I am hoping the implementing the "Ultimate SEO URLs" contribution will take care of it. I will post again after I implement it and try generating my sitemap.

Thanks for your concern i would work on what u said i'll give you feed back if it work out. Thanks

Satish could you please be more clearer on what you mean by ''apply seo url code''.

I've noticed a pattern in Satish's responses. Usually one or two liners which non programmers cannot understand.

That's all good and proper, except that non programmers are the ones asking for the assistance :lol:

Well If You search Forum You will make out what SEO url code is.

I keep My replies short as any wanting to create a shop needs to learn while creating else later once the shop is running and things go wrong they in more of a soup.

chek seo ultimate by Chemo.

Seo-G by enigma.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

for things to be done in order for the site to rank high in search engines

There are entire web sites and forums dedicated to SEO and ranking higher in search engines. It is a never ending quest and learning curve. No one has the "magic pill" to get you to #1 for all your keywords. My advice would be to spend an hour a day reading in forums. Start here as you will need to install contributions (such as the ones Satish gave you along with Header Tags for sure). Then you need to learn how to pick keywords that will help bring traffic to your site, then learn about optimizing pages for those keywords, then develop a linking strategy to help rank those optimized pages. Then you should/might get traffic to your site.

There are two types of SEO. On page optimization and off page optimization. You need to learn both. On page optimization is making your page the best it can be for the keywords you choose. But if no one ever searches for that keyword(s) then who cares how optimized the page is because no one will ever see it.

Off page optimization is basically about getting links back by submitting your site to directories, writing forum posts (ones that allow links in signatures), writing articles, press releases, blogs, news feeds, social bookmarking, etc. It is a never ending list. Just do it smartly and over time.

If all else fails try;

<meta name="google" keyword="osCommerce" position="#1" /> :lol:

I keep My replies short as any wanting to create a shop needs to learn while creating else later once the shop is running and things go wrong they in more of a soup.

100% Correct Satish, if you can't program or learn how then you should not open an ecommerce store or you better have very deep pockets. You also need to be willing to learn about SEO, software security, server security, laws, taxation, etc, etc. It is just like owning any business, you need to konw how to do everything.

Well If You search Forum You will make out what SEO url code is.

People aren't going to learn if you throw one liners at them. The whole point of the forum is to give people support and assistance in what they need.

You seem to forget who the audience here is, it's not programmers, it's not even would be programmers. In most cases it's people who have no clues and don't even know where to start. Just look at most of the questions that are being asked, many are very, very basic.

One liners are good for people who already have some sort of foundation, but these won't be asking basic questions as they would already have some clues.

The first thing I asked, you were the first to respond. Thank you, but it took 2 responses from you and I still had no clues. It wasn't until another posted replied only once, but with more detail, that I was able to actually do something, and learn from that. I couldn't learn anything from your TWO posts as they were so cryptic.

So I know from personal exprience how frustrated people must get to recieve cryptic one liners from which they have no idea where to head.

HI,

I have similar problem. Somehow nothing from my product pages - titles and descriptions show up on any search engines.

Is the product info on products_info.php page that gets pulle din from the database gets crawled y the search engine crawlers?

The only reason I am getting some visibility on search engines is because we did some artcile directory submission and some keywords explicitely on each page.

Why is my product details not getting into search engines crawling?

My web site: www.india1imports.com

Please note that I have submitted the inside page - www.india1imports.com/catalog/index.php to many search engines.

Somethign very basic is not correct in my web site or with PHO based web site sin general.

Satish - pleas explain in more detail what you meant?

Thanks,

Abhay

Maybe the answer to your problem is in the HTML source of your index page:

<meta name="robots" content="allow">

As far as I can tell, that's not even an acceptable value for "content".

I found this on one page:

<meta name="Robots" content="text">

text is one of the following four combinations.

all Same as index,follow.

index,follow The default, meaning index the page and follow all links from the page.

noindex, follow don't index the page but do follow all links from the page.

index,nofollow index the page, but do not proceed to the links from the page.

noindex,nofollow do not index the page and do not proceed to links from the page.

none same as noindex,nofollow.

noimageindex Altavista only. Prevents the images on the page from being indexed, but the text on the page can still be indexed. May be included index, noindex, follow and nofollow

And I'm not sure I'd use "all".

If the default action of robots is to not "index" or "follow" unless specifically told to do so, that would be the cause of your search engine woes...

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Pardon me for butting in... But, I agree with Satish 110%.

While the generic version of osCommerce can easily be setup and used as-is, making changes and adding features does require programming skills -- not a Rocket Scientist, but programmings skills nontheless. If one is not willing to learn at least basic programming concepts in HTML/PHP/MySQL before attempting to work with the code, then one should hire a Programmer to implement the customizations.

It really isn't that hard to learn the basics...

What is PHP?

Practical PHP Programming

PHP Example Scripts

The PHP Resource Index

Before going wide-open customizing osCommerce, prep yourself to develop an understanding of the fundementals first. Your road to a successful customization will be much smoother.

Good luck!

While the generic version of osCommerce can easily be setup and used as-is, making changes and adding features does require programming skills -- not a Rocket Scientist, but programmings skills nontheless.

Disagree.

www.a1tuition.com.au/shop

These have been my efforts so far. I think you would agree that it's looking good.

I have absolutely 0 clues about programming, PHP or anything else.

Ok, it's taken me a while and I make one change at a time, but the assistance of most users here has been enough to get me going. The rest has been trial and error.

Put it another way, if Satish answered all my questions, I would not have even gotten started.

Since others have as well, I have progressed to where I am now.

I'm not interested in a debate. We have stated our points, and I respect yours.

btw, your site has an issue: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/a1t7544/public_html/shop/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13

(edited to remove quoting bloat)

I have a follow up question.

Thanks for all who have been fighting for support to all the non pros here.

I have generated the XML sitemap and submitted to google and yahoo. This way even if they were not parsing my dynamically generated product and category pages, now they have it. Hopefully, they index all the product pages in a little bit.

Question - How important is it to really implement the Ultimate SEO URL and the "cName and pName" contribution before that? I mean how important is it to have simplified URLs for product pages for web spiders to crawl them?

They can (and will) index/crawl the site without them.

Everyone "in the know" says SEO URL's help page rank.

I've yet to see a post or link that proves it.

Just call me "Doubting Thomas"....

:blush:

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

seo urls are a must if You want search engines to rank You high.

Search engines like key phrases coming on YOur site URl

SEO ultimate By Chemo or SEO-G by Enigma does that part.

So I recommend 25% plus of Your seo campaign is over with this one step.

Satish Mantri

I've asked about these things, and the consensus seems to be that SEO URLs are unnecessary. Apparently, in ye olden days, spiders could not follow dynamic URLs (index.php?page=...), but they have been able to do that for quite a while now. Just make sure that your "robots.txt" file doesn't bar spiders from your product pages, and you set up the <meta> robots tag to allow indexing and following. AND DON'T USE SESSION IDS! It's most important to get good, keyword-rich content on page text, titles, and headings. Eventually (perhaps), advice to use SEO URLs will fade away, like advice to pump the accelerator pedal before starting your car (applies only to engines with carburetors).

Some people will say that there are a handful of search engines that still can't follow dynamic URLs, but (if there are), their total market share is probably well under 1% and they can be ignored. Some will say that people are more willing to type in a URL if it isn't full of exotic punctuation, but who types in a URL (except the top level domain) any more?

I disagree to this.

SEO urls (urls having key words we are targeting) are loved by google.

Its the URL that is given value.So having in your url product info is better or a product name say "oscommerce-contribution" or product_info.php?product_id=10

Satish

And don't anyone get me wrong.

I'm NOT knocking the contribution.

But I'm not supporting it either.

I'll just stay astraddle the fence until someone can prove it's worth the time and effort.

And I'm sorry, just because some people say it helps - that don't cut it in my book.

Personally, I'll require tangible, indisputable proof.

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

okay, since I am not willing to take a risk whether SEO URL is effective or not, I will implement it to make sure I get good search engine rankings.

Question: In the following contribution: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2823

Which version of the contribution should I install? Its a mess in there - so many versions - some people putting newer versions while some of them putting the old one back saying that new ones are ruining the great contribution.

Has anyone recently installed this contribution and tell me which version should I install?

Archived