• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Do Cart contents subtract from stock without purchase?

dogpaw

I have a client oscommerce site where one person made multiple attempts to purchase/checkout using multiple fake credit cards. Of course, all the transactions failed and my client is not shipping any products to this person. But my client is concerned that any products placed in the Cart/basket by this person are unavailable for purchase until that Cart is emptied. Some products are unique.

How do I check what products are in his Cart and/or empty his Cart? Or is this even necessary?

I've checked the Tables for basket and see that there are 5 items placed in the basket but that's it.

Any advice would be appreciated. I suggested to my client (store owner) that they just delete the account but they can't do this as they reported this person to the local police and they need to retain this account until the investigation is over.

Thanks

my client is concerned that any products placed in the Cart/basket by this person are unavailable for purchase until that Cart is emptied. Some products are unique.

That is a bit of a dilemma.

I would hope that items in a cart are immediately deducted from stock, to avoid overselling. Your case sounds uncommon enough that it wouldn't be worth special programming to deal with. After suspending the account in some way (freezing this customer's cart), I'd just manually adjust item quantities to bump up the inventory count on these items (e.g., 0 to 1), making them available again for purchase. When eventually the case is resolved and investigation done, you can manually adjust item quantities back down and then empty the cart (returning items to stock). An alternative would be to leave item quantities alone and just manually update the database to purge the cart's rows (not returning anything to stock). I'm not familiar enough with osC's innards to recommend one over the other.

If such problems become common enough :angry: I suppose someone could come up with a mod/add-on to freeze a cart by pawing through its contents and bumping shelf quantities back up, or unfreeze a cart by doing the same in reverse. That might be combined with a new flag in the customer account to mark as 'frozen' and prevent any other changes. A related and more common (and benign) problem would be abandoned carts that you want to purge after some period of inactivity, returning their stock to the shelves. Some customers will be annoyed that they lose "one of a kind" items (or the last examples of discontinued items) when you purge their carts, so make sure you have some sort of written policy about how long you're willing to tolerate stuff sitting in their cart.

Archived