• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback, Store needs work.

When you don't have a pic for a category, "Lets See What We Have Here" pops up twice. Also, are your customers going to be primarily looking for a product via a manufacturer or a catagory? I would think that you'd want to switch the dropdown to the manufacturer and put the products in a menu style (not drop down). I'm sure you already know that your info pages aren't done...also, what's with the skull and crossbones? I like the color scheme, but it's a bit harsh as it is. You need to do some work on it, but I like the way youve set up the product info.

When you don't have a pic for a category, "Lets See What We Have Here" pops up twice. Also, are your customers going to be primarily looking for a product via a manufacturer or a catagory? I would think that you'd want to switch the dropdown to the manufacturer and put the products in a menu style (not drop down). I'm sure you already know that your info pages aren't done...also, what's with the skull and crossbones? I like the color scheme, but it's a bit harsh as it is. You need to do some work on it, but I like the way youve set up the product info.

The skulls and bones is the Performance Off Road Center logo, and I have no idea how to edit some of the things, I saw your website and loved how everything popped and was in place. But like I said, I have no idea how to edit anything on the website. I basically know how to apply product attributes and add products to the website.

On the style sheet where would I edit the content to make the top logo centered?

How can I edit the info pages?

you are going to need to do a lot of reading if you want to make any changes that the people on here are going to suggest. If you dont know how to edit the look of your site, go up to the top of this page and find the button for SOLUTIONS then choose DOCUMENTATION and then click on Knowledge Base.. that will get you started with understanding how to make some basic visual changes.

then you should go to the contributions and look through there for anything you might want to add - there are contributions for EVERYTHING on there.. So look around and browse.

If you want to learn where everything is coming from, i just made a thread in the TIPS AND TRICKS section called ROAD MAP TO OSCOMMERCE.. that will help you understand it better. There is also a good thread in there called BASICS FOR DESIGN and THAT will also help you

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Okay, you're talking to a noob, but I think you can do that in header.php right in the first html table tag...

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr class="header">

<td valign="middle" class="topback"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td align="right" class="topback" valign="bottom"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_account.gif', HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_cart.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_checkout.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?>

</script> </td>

</tr>

</table>

You can try aligning right, or get rid of the second <td> and those images, make the td colspan=2 and the image should be centered.

I'd go through the tips & tricks section of this forum, and read as much of the documentation as you can. You're going to end up having to know this stuff eventually.

Glad you liked my site!

i'm giving you valuable information for you to use to figure out how to do a lot more than JUST center the logo. That site needs some work.. Everyone here is going to tell you what to do, are you going to ask everyone HOW to make those changes?? You should definitely read through those things i gave you.

change this:

<tr class="header">
<td valign="middle" class="topback"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>
<td align="right" class="topback" valign="bottom"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_account.gif', HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_cart.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_checkout.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?>
</script> </td>
</tr>
</table>

to this:

<tr class="header">
<td align="center" valign="middle" class="topback"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>
</script> </td>
</tr>
</table>

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

i was exactly where you were about 3-4 months ago. I actually went as far as to pay people to install mods for me.. Now i am pretty good. i cant create code on my own, but i can trouble shoot an dundestand what is already there..

there are some awesome books out there too.. one is by Monkia Mathis and the other David mercer.. search their names paired with oscommerce and you will find the two books i'm talking about

I thought it was actually quite a nice simple site to use, the fact that the product images linke to photobucket is a bit naff and still using the original oscommerce images for the 'write review' thing and etc needs changing.

oohh i did notice the product images link to PHOTOBUCKET!! get a good image handler. I use addition images contribution.. Having links to outside pages opens your site up and causes security things to pop up

much better on the images!!

i would add an address to the contact us too.. I ALWAYS look for an address when i buy online. Makes me feel like the store really exists.

its not a graphic.. You are talking about the one that shows up when you click a category??

If you go to the product_listing.php, you will see which define it is calling for.. I think its something like TEXT_WHATS_NEW, then you go to the english.php file and find the matching text and that is where you change what it says.

its not a graphic.. You are talking about the one that shows up when you click a category??

If you go to the product_listing.php, you will see which define it is calling for.. I think its something like TEXT_WHATS_NEW, then you go to the english.php file and find the matching text and that is where you change what it says.

Thank you for that,

I am about to start working on the header from my question yesterday, but i get an error message saying " Error: I can not write to this directory. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/alex/public_html/oscommerce//includes" when I try to upload the edited file. :(

you need to go to your host control panel and find the file that you are trying to write to and set the permissions higher, I believe 644 should be ok.

you need to go to your host control panel and find the file that you are trying to write to and set the permissions higher, I believe 644 should be ok.

Well I tried that code for the header.php but it did not center all the way, the owner of the store would really like a scrolling banner as seen on www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

Is that possible?

by scrolling banner, do you mean the images that change, kinda like a slide show?? If so, you have to do that with FLASH or something like it. A small movie of still images. You need a program to write the movie and then you need to add it to your website. Basically, anything is visually possible with oscommerce.. its just a matter of knowing how to accomplish it.

What i asked you to do was not CODE. You need to open your host's control panel.. once you get there i can help you more, but if you call your host, they can also walk you through it.

that is odd that you need a 755 or higher for permissions, but with that setting you still can not write to it.. but you got it to work correct>>

ANYWAYS.. when you say it didnt center all the way, what did it do? Wheny ou do it again, can you leave it so i can see?? I cant images that it is not working

<tr class="header">

<td align="center" valign="middle" class="topback"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>

</script> </td>

</tr>

</table>

that is odd that you need a 755 or higher for permissions, but with that setting you still can not write to it.. but you got it to work correct>>

ANYWAYS.. when you say it didnt center all the way, what did it do? Wheny ou do it again, can you leave it so i can see?? I cant images that it is not working

<tr class="header">

</script> </td>

</tr>

</table>

It is like that now,

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce

i see whats happening!! you have some invisible images!!!!

this ENTIRE part of that table is there, but not there.. get what i'm saying??

You can see the image place holders (since it seems there's no actual images there) by putting you cursor dead center of your header (in the middle of the black) and click and hold down, then drag across till you get under the orange nav bar, like you are trying to highlight missing next or something.. You will see 3 little boxes in orange come up, that dont REALLY exist.

If you get rid of that code i posted above ENTIRELY you should be able to center it just fine, with no issues..

if you want to KEEP that code and add real images so you have the My Account, Cart Contents, Checkout in the header, then you have to do something else.. But you dont NEED to because you already have all three of those in the orange bar in the top navigation bar.

Archived