• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Warning message on website using oscommerce

DA63147

Hi,

I get this error message at the top of my website:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /customers/bluebarrelsurf.co.uk/bluebarrelsurf.co.uk/httpd.www/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

I have gone on the File manager on my host and there is no option to change the file permissions on both configure.php files. I have also gone on my ftp program (smartftp) and the file permissions on both files are set to 644. I have tried to change to 444, but, when you click back on the file permissions for the configure.php files it automatically defaults back to the 644.

Is there anywhere of removing the error message from the top of of my web page or is this a standard permanent fault when using oscommerce?

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan...

You need to change the file to 611. That is rw-r--r--

I don't know smartftp program. I use leapftp. They should be very similar.

I have to right click on the file and select Chmod. I then change to 611.

You have to login as the 'owner' of the file.

i.e. if the file is owned by 'user123' then you need to login as 'user123'.

When using your ftp program, check the log and see if it says 'permission denied' or something like that.

hth

John C

Hi Dan...

You need to change the file to 611. That is rw-r--r--

I don't know smartftp program. I use leapftp. They should be very similar.

I have to right click on the file and select Chmod. I then change to 611.

You have to login as the 'owner' of the file.

i.e. if the file is owned by 'user123' then you need to login as 'user123'.

When using your ftp program, check the log and see if it says 'permission denied' or something like that.

hth

John C

Hi John,

I changed the permissions to 611 and I am still getting the error message.

When I changed from 644 to 444 it said:

[16:39:59] SITE CHMOD 444 configure.php

[16:39:59] 200 Permissions changed on configure.php

and then when I changed 644 to 611 it said:

[16:41:12] SITE CHMOD 611 configure.php

[16:41:12] 200 Permissions changed on configure.php

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan...

My appologies.

The correct chmod is 644 NOT 611 as I said before.

However, if you changed it to 611 and then still got the same error message, I wonder if you are changing the correct file.

With configure.php set to 611 means that the browsre cannot read it. Only the owner can read it.

There are two configure.php files:

1. is in /includes/configure.php

2 is in /admin/includes/configure.php

Make sure you are changing the right one.

I think that they should both be set to 644

hth

John C

The permissions for the configure.php files are different according to the type of server the site is on.

Infrequently the permissions are 644, but more often the correct permissions are 444 or even 400.

Vger

The permissions for the configure.php files are different according to the type of server the site is on.

Infrequently the permissions are 644, but more often the correct permissions are 444 or even 400.

Vger

Hi, I tried setting the permissions on both the configure.php files in the smartftp ftp program.

I right clicked on configure.php, then clicked on properties and then window opened with the permissions. I typed in 400 and clicked OK, when I right clicked again and clicked properties it automatically defaulted to 600. I then tried typing in 444 and clicked OK and when I right clicked again and clicked properties it automatically defaulted to 644. I then did the same with 644 and reopened and it stayed at 644.

Both the includes folders are set to 755. Below the permissions section there is a "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" box which has been left unticked.

On my website: www.bluebarrelsurf.co.uk the error is still showing.

Many Thanks,

Dan

Vger

Hi Vger..

Chmod 444 is OK because the file is not to be excecuted

If chmod is set to 400 , only the owner would be able to see the web page.

The page would appear blank to the www.

John C

Hi Dan...

The folder permissions are correct.

The normal permissions for configure.php is 644 (444 will be OK)

In your last post you say that the permissions are now set to 644 and the error message still shows.

If this is the case, there is something strange going on.

A thought:

Are you logging in to the correct site ???

Did you have a test site when setting up that you are now logging in to???

I am based in Preston UK if you want to call me. My number is 0845 224 3521

I was having the same problem with SmartFTP. I'm not sure if there's something up with the latest SmartFTP or what but I'm about to stop using it because it won't let me change ANY permissions at all. I have not tried any other FTP programs, but I solved my problem by going into my file manger in cPanel and changing the permissions there. Either do that or trying using a different FTP program. Also, I'm pretty sure you want the file to be changed to 444, because when I had it at 644 I still got that error message, but it went away when it was sent to 444. Let me know how you make out.

I was having the same problem with SmartFTP. I'm not sure if there's something up with the latest SmartFTP or what but I'm about to stop using it because it won't let me change ANY permissions at all. I have not tried any other FTP programs, but I solved my problem by going into my file manger in cPanel and changing the permissions there. Either do that or trying using a different FTP program. Also, I'm pretty sure you want the file to be changed to 444, because when I had it at 644 I still got that error message, but it went away when it was sent to 444. Let me know how you make out.

Filezilla does it for me (aren't I lucky).

I have downloaded and installed SmartFTP 3 Client and tested it with my configure.php file.

I found it to work OK. I did several tests and it never faultered.

Hi, I tried FileZilla, but, it defaulted back to 644 and the host I am with hasn't got the cpanel anymore, so I contacted the host provider and they changed the script in the chmod.php file in the ftp root page, that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for all the help,

Dan

PS: If anyone else needs it, the script he wrote for the chmod.php file is:

<?php
$filename = "configure.php";
chmod("/customers/bluebarrelsurf.co.uk/bluebarrelsurf.co.uk/httpd.www/includes/configure.php", 0444);
echo "chmod for $filename was changed";
?>

So what if you are doing everything on your local machine, i.e. no need for an FTP program to upload the osCommerce site to a server nor anything like cpanel. How do you set permissions to 644, or 777, or whatever they need to be that is outline in the documentation PDF? My machine has Windows XP Pro, using IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.0, PHP 5.2.6. Everything I have read regarding file permissions is always done via FTP so you can type in 644 or whatever you need it to be. My site is up and running (for development at the present time), but I am having a few minor issues (as it seems is very common with osCommerce). Such as trying to add new products and constantly getting the Error: No file uploaded or File Not Saved. From what I have read, this might be a setting in the admin/includes/configure.php file, but changing one setting screws up another and so on. I have also read that the permission on the images folder is incorrect for the admin to access the folder and of course the permission needed to be set via FTP.

So what if you are doing everything on your local machine, i.e. no need for an FTP program to upload the osCommerce site to a server nor anything like cpanel. How do you set permissions to 644, or 777, or whatever they need to be that is outline in the documentation PDF? My machine has Windows XP Pro, using IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.0, PHP 5.2.6. Everything I have read regarding file permissions is always done via FTP so you can type in 644 or whatever you need it to be. My site is up and running (for development at the present time), but I am having a few minor issues (as it seems is very common with osCommerce). Such as trying to add new products and constantly getting the Error: No file uploaded or File Not Saved. From what I have read, this might be a setting in the admin/includes/configure.php file, but changing one setting screws up another and so on. I have also read that the permission on the images folder is incorrect for the admin to access the folder and of course the permission needed to be set via FTP.

Set them to read only, but why bother on a local machine.

Archived