• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Duplicate content for osC sort functions

FWR Media

That is not the case Alexandra my code does the following: -

NOINDEX - Read - google don't index this page please.

FOLLOW - Read - Even though we don't want you to index it Google we would still like you to follow the link.

Also bear in mind that the page still has to be accessed for google to read the meta tags so it will still show in who's online.

Ok, Thanks for helping me understand. I was wondering what was happening.

However, if I set everything correctly then I shouldn't see search engines on the admin/who's online page with osCsid appended to the url. Is this a correct assumption?

My site has an intro page. Is it wrong if I put the code that you gave goes for the <head> section in the root's index file and in the catalog index file?

Also, if I move the catalog to the root is it wrong to keep the catalog for testing contributions? I'm thinking Google will most likely see this as duplicate content. Although it's convenient for testing purposes!

Thanks again for your help,

Alexandra

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an update I did one of the suggested fixes and it has continued to get worse.... going out of business soon if I cant fix it.

Ryan,

Take a breath. I've got the same amount of duplicate titles (or maybe more). I'm in a saturated market. I'm using cDynamic tags and Ultimate URLs so I'm dealing with the same stuff. I have a page rank of 1... I suck the big one *laughing*. But I'm selling at least 3 x a week (did daily sales last week) and am taking my time trying to fix things.

Don't let machines drive you into a breakdown. You can do this. Google is not God. These forum folk are smart. Get calm. Listen. Walk away from the computer and go watch a movie. Come back to it when you are not frantic. You make mistakes when you are frantic.

Google webmaster tools will show dup content if you have more than one currency on your website, I think eventually google will fix itself. Where do you draw the line, if one of the big league players produced software and the big G did not like it seo wise, but every other search engine was ok, who would back down first I wonder. If your listings are good dont fix what aint broke.

There is now an alpha contribution for duplicate title/content caused by querystring variables.

Here

• 10 months later...
I don't agree

rel=nofollow is no danger whatsoever in split results, google will find the real links, in fact it has already to see the sort functions, and if it hadn't you wouldn't be seeing duplicate titles/description .

Point two imo is dangerous as google does not appreciate redirects every time it visits, you could end up with the "too many redirects" problem. The valid question "why the hell am I being redirected when the link still exists" springs to mind.

The limitation of the rel=nofollow method is that it will not remove already indexed pages that are listed as duplicates.

Danger is perhaps not the point, but since the search engines will only spend so much time indexing your site it makes sense to make the most if. Why waste the bots time leading them down a path to a page they have already seen? Potential duplicate content penalties or not, I think nofollow on the sort links is a good idea, especially for large sites where you risk not having your site indexed in a timely manner.

Just call me Dewed ...

Archived