• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I create a backup directory?

Yes, I have read the forums and all other info about this, but I am still confussed.

On the sticky thread above this is what is written about how to create a backup directory:

"On a new installation of osCommerce, you need to physically create the backups directory within the admin directory. So, FTP to your admin directory, click on the New Folder icon and name the new folder backups.

Then browse to Admin>Tools>Database Backup, click on the "backup" button, select how you want to save the backup and finally, hit the "backup" button again".

My questions are:

Which Admin directory do I FTP to??

Is this the OsCommerce Admin section under file manager or some other one somewhere??

In the file manager of OsCommerce there is already a file called "Backups". Does this have anything to do with the backup directory?

Yes thats the one! give it read Write permissions and you are good to go

Nic

I think the file that is allready there is called backup not backups. Also it is a file not a folder. You need to create the folder and set its permissions to 777.

I had a problem with this to as I couldn't figure out how to create a folder in fireftp. Had to go to fireftp help and see how to actually do the file creation using that ftp program but once I did the error disappeared from the backup configuration setup on andmin.

Yes thats the one! give it read Write permissions and you are good to go

Nic

Cool. I'm half way there.

So how do I give it write permissions? When I look in the folder I see a whole heap of programming which means nothing to me.

I think the file that is allready there is called backup not backups. Also it is a file not a folder. You need to create the folder and set its permissions to 777.

Correct. It's called "backup". It's a file filled with programming text.

So again, how do I create this folder, where, and how do I give it permissions?

Go to the backups folder in your FTP program, dont open it up, just click once with your left mouse button to select it, then right click it and you should see CHMOD or permissions, select this and then set it to 755 or if this does not work 777. or if you on a windows box, readr write permissions

Nic

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Cool. I'm half way there.

So how do I give it write permissions? When I look in the folder I see a whole heap of programming which means nothing to me.

Depends on the ftp program you're using. On fireftp (a add on for firefox) you right click the file and select properites. Most of the different ftp programs work pretty much the same way. You had to set the properties on the config.php files during the intital setup. You do it to these files the same way.

It's interesting how much you learn as you try installing something new to your site.

OK LEGENDS!!!

Thanks for that. It's getting there.

Just a few technical questions now that I am on track.

When I set the pemissions, one of the options was to provide permissions to public. In order to set permissions to 777 I had to give all read and write permissions to "owner", "groups" and "public". Doesn't this provide opportunity for outside parties to hack into the shop?

Secondly, I am about to make a backup of the shop.

The three options are:

1. No compression

2. Gzip

3. Download only.

What do you recommend?

What are the pros and cons of each options?

Thanks in advance.

OK LEGENDS!!!

Thanks for that. It's getting there.

Just a few technical questions now that I am on track.

When I set the pemissions, one of the options was to provide permissions to public. In order to set permissions to 777 I had to give all read and write permissions to "owner", "groups" and "public". Doesn't this provide opportunity for outside parties to hack into the shop?

Secondly, I am about to make a backup of the shop.

The three options are:

1. No compression

2. Gzip

3. Download only.

What do you recommend?

What are the pros and cons of each options?

Thanks in advance.

In answer to the first question yes it does allow for outside parties to hack into the shop. However when you get further into the installation you will be told to reset those permissions to back to 644 of 444 or something of that nature which will resecure the site.

Now number two. HUH?? I'm just starting this out myself. I think you might be talking about the backup of the database. At this point you really don't have anything in it so why bother. There is a section on Gzip in the manual which I have kindof over looked as I wasn't to the point of needing the information yet.

If I was just starting out with the first couple of backups I would be inclined to use no compression as you will not be taking up that much room. The download sounds like it is for if you have downloadable files that you intend on selling. Like pdf manuals for instance.

Ummm. Thanks Earl. I think you might have caught me out here.

Yeah, it seems I am talking about backing up the database. Isn't this what people mean when they say "make a backup before you make any changes"?

Basically, at this stage I just want to make sure I don't screw the shop up as I am making it and can get back to the place before I screwed up (haven't gotten to the screw up stage yet, hehe). So does this mean I need to back up the database, the shop or what?

I guess I'm back to square one.

How do I make a backup then?

Ummm. Thanks Earl. I think you might have caught me out here.

Yeah, it seems I am talking about backing up the database. Isn't this what people mean when they say "make a backup before you make any changes"?

Basically, at this stage I just want to make sure I don't screw the shop up as I am making it and can get back to the place before I screwed up (haven't gotten to the screw up stage yet, hehe). So does this mean I need to back up the database, the shop or what?

I guess I'm back to square one.

How do I make a backup then?

Well, you're doing a lot of the work on the store live. You're actually changing things as you go along. I may be cavalear but if anyone can screw up something its me and this program really doesn't let you screw up to much. Once it's installled it's installed on your server. If you really want to back up everything you could ftp the entire catalog folder to a backup folder on your harddrive or whatever. That way you would have everything that you had set up exactly the way it was setup. If your server does automatic backups on the website though you already in effect have that with them.

This would be a good time to get yourself a really big external hard drive or dvd ram drive. I saw a dvd ram drive at a local store for 98.00, This allows you to use a dvd ram disk just like a hard drive. Need more hard drive just get another dvd ram disk. I'm really hoping to talk moma into letting me get one for my birthday. Hey, not everyday you get to celebrate hitting 65!

Ok,

I have been following along through all of this, but I still can't back up!

When I go to the Database Manager, I get an error message which says: Please set the right user permissions on: /var/www/html/store//includes/configure.php

So I go to that file and it contains a lot of code that I have no idea what it is, but nothing about backups. How do I do this??

Ok,

I have been following along through all of this, but I still can't back up!

When I go to the Database Manager, I get an error message which says: Please set the right user permissions on: /var/www/html/store//includes/configure.php

So I go to that file and it contains a lot of code that I have no idea what it is, but nothing about backups. How do I do this??

In your ftp program go the the configure file mentioned and change the permissions.

In your ftp program go the the configure file mentioned and change the permissions.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion but when I do that I get an error that says the user can now change the file, and this is a security risk.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion but when I do that I get an error that says the user can now change the file, and this is a security risk.

right. You don't change to a wrLiteable number. You want to change to a non writeable number, NOT 777.

Check out the quick install post at the top of this forum

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

What we are concerned about here is the last line of the instruction. 777 allows you (and anybody else) to write to the file. By reseting the permissions to 644, 444, or 400 you close that hole and secure your site.

Archived