• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

what do you host on? shared / dedicated?

what kind of server?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. what kind of server is your oscommerce site on?

• shared
    • vps
    • dedicated
    • home-hosted (on my pc)

curious as to what people are hosting on?

for the first 5 years of my site (even before using osc) i hosted on shared

6th year, vps

7th year, dedicated

We quickly moved to VPS after opening our store. It gives you more control over the server and allowed for additional domains for testing purposes. The price difference between a good host for a single domain and VPS is only a few dollars a month and is worth the money.

First two years I was on shared with ****flame then discovered I was on a server with 90 other sites and my site continually suffered with session timeouts and slow speeds, the support just restarted the server but it went back to snails pace after 5 mins. Now with ******* for the same price on shared but have had excellent service and the speed is excellent.

Until I can get enough business to afford to go dedicated I am sticking with them!!

Nigel

right now i am on shared because for one, my site is not CLOSED to finished.. and it was cheap and i need my site to make money before putting more into it.. But i do plan on going VPS if the site makes a certain amount in a month for few consecutive months and same with dedicated.

basically, if i meet my goal sales per month for 6 months in a row, i will DEFINITELY get a dedicated.. it hink thats a good way to decide because if you DONT make the kind of money that is required to PAY for a dedicated server, then you probably dont NEED one anyways..

I use ****** and really like them so far.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Bagman mentioned that his site had been on a server with 90 other sites - well that's not a very large number of sites, but I suppose it does depend on what they used for a server.

If you go down the VPS or full Dedicated server route then do make sure that you get a fully managed package.

Most cheap VPS deals are only cheap because they are unmanaged - the VPS comes pre-loaded with PHP, MySQL etc., but after that you're on your own.

Cheap dedicated servers are bargain bucket machines - with PC chips and other components of PC quality that were never meant to go into a server where they are required to operate 24/7/365. And the cheapest will be unmanaged.

Unless you are a server admin "unmanaged" is not a route you want to take!!!

Vger

I am still in the site development stage and I'm using a shared server with their shared SSL.

After my site is up and running for awhile, if it starts making enough money, I would like to go with a private SSL.

Which then means I will have to go with a dedicated server/DNS.

I will stay with my current host as they offer 24/7/365 toll free tech support amoung many other things.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

I would like to go with a private SSL. Which then means I will have to go with a dedicated server/DNS.

Usually it means you need a dedicated IP but NOT a dedicated server. A dedicated IP will cost about $2 a month

Usually it means you need a dedicated IP but NOT a dedicated server. A dedicated IP will cost about $2 a month

My bad Peter...

2 in the morning and I wasn't thinking to clearly. :blush:

Dedicated IP is what I meant... sorry!

:wacko:

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Unless you are a server admin "unmanaged" is not a route you want to take!!!

not necessarily. there are a few good managed server providers out there that will harden your server and look after it (on your call - and i do not mean 'managed host' , a managed 'service')

but going unmanaged and NOT getting a management service is certainly asking for trouble (unless you can admin a box by yourself, of course)

the data center i purchase my server from just launched a security management program that i quickly snapped up (it's pro-active, so they do the kernel updates and whatnot, for you and do weekly server audits)

the biggest thing with a dedicated server is you have to ensure you have the NEED and money for it. i didn't decide to jump ship and go on my own until i started noticing performance decreases with my vps. i'm cheap, so i stuck it out as far as i possibly could. :)

been on my own dedicated for a few months and i am very comfortable with it. it's a bit of a learning curve though.

sure, i purchase the security package and all, but it doesn't hurt to also monitor logs yourself.

Archived